22 lr conceal carry and home defense

This is a discussion on 22 lr conceal carry and home defense within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; a very often asked question is the 22 lr a effective round...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 22 lr conceal carry and home defense

a very often asked question is the 22 lr a effective round

Great round!

If your home is being invaded by a gang of thug squirrels.
    archer51 likes this.

IMO, it is effective for many things, but not for (reliably) quickly *stopping* a human bent on attacking me. I dont care if it kills them later...after they've gotten several shots off at me or family....I want them stopped, as fast as possible.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I just saw abut at the LGS picking up his new ccw. He was so proud he passed it around for all to check out. It was a Kel-Tec PF30. He was bragging that nobody was going to stand up to 30 rounds of 22mag. I will say it was a pretty nice weapon and may have moved past a Buckmark on my list of needs. But I think I will stick with my M&P9c with a 17 round reload for cc and the XDM 40 and shorty for HD.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    If you are suddenly attacked by ninja mice its great, humans..............not so much. Granted I don't want to be in front of one but if its between .380 and .22 I wanna be shot with a .22
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    Depends....If you own a Calico M100 .22LR (with a 100 round magazine) .22 Rim-Fire could be quite effective for home defense.

Every weapon is both effective and ineffective simultaneously.

"Granted I don't want to be in front of one but if its between .380 and .22 I wanna be shot with a .22"

So would you rather be shot with 5 .38SPL or 47 .22 Rim-Fire? <~~~

VIP Member
    I'd pick a Hi-Point for a defensive weapon before choosing a .22LR for that purpose. While the .22 has killed it's fair share of people, it's never going to fall into the category of a man stopper.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If its all you have I say sure use it for home defense. My mother has wrist problems and cannot handle shotgun recoil andcan omly fire pistols with her right hand so we got her a m&p 15 22 with two 100 round drums and a surefire light. Would i want 100 rouds of 22 high velocity coming my way. not a chance. BTW she carries a bodygaurd .380 for ccw the laser helps withone hand aiming.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It depends. If said BG is looking for an easy score and not planning on having to fight for his life (as most aren't), then yes, it is. But if BG is bound and determined to cause great bodily harm and doesn't care about himself, than no, the .22 is a poor choice. But then, a hit hit in the right spot is a hit in the right spot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I would assume the discussion of a 22lr has more to do with recoil than with calibre. No one can argue that a 9 or a 45 or even a 380 will have more "punch" than a 22lr, although a 22 mag will give you a little more. From what I understand, cartridge mfgrs are working on more of a "super 22 mag" that will deliver a bit more"punch". There is another alternative that can combine lethality and lo recoil, which I have researched and taken advantage of--it is the 5.7x28, as chambered in the FN and is being looked at by others (Excite Firearms). This pistol and its offshoot rifles are used by many law enforcement agencies (domestic and foreign) and secret service--it is, unfortunately, also linked to the Ft Hood shooter. For home security, a companion sponsor on the FN forum, Elite Ammo, makes designer 5.7 ammo from standard factory ammo that has ballistics that rival the "big guys" in stopping power and lethality.There are two drawbacks that involve $$$. The firearm sells for $800-1100 depending on used or new, the range ammo sells for $17-22/50 rds depending on sales etal, and the super ammo at Elite can run $1-2 per round, but this is what you keep in firearm and will probably never really use.

Well, if the bad guy is not either insane or pumped up on drugs, there mere sight of any kind of gun, even a .22LR, will probably change his mind and he'll take off the opposite direction as fast as humanly possible. However, as has been discussed before, not all BG's are equal. Some don't care about getting shot, and some are so intoxicated with drugs that they don't even feel being shot.

Now I'll point out in the case of the drugged up maniac, there have been many reported cases of these guys being shot by police officers 10 times or more with high caliber rounds and still managed to injure or kill the police officer before they died. So a larger caliber is certainly no guarantee of stopping one of these guys before he does harm to you. Obviously the larger round gives you the best chances. Ironically, in the case of somebody like this a taser might actually be your best bet as it is guaranteed to incapacitate him assuming you don't miss.

So it greatly depends on who you are trying to defend yourself from. Nobody in his right mind wants to be shot with a .22LR. But BGs are not always in their right mind. Even so, a good shot to the brain with a .22LR will stop even the most insane BG.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by glock42 View Post
    a very often asked question is the 22 lr a effective round
    the problem is that there is way too much out here about this. Bottom line: It is better than nothing, but far from the best.
    9MMare likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    While more folks have been killed by the lowly 22 round than any other, there are no statistics on how long they took to expire after being shot. Use enough gun or have a really high capacity magazine.

I love my 22 for plinking but that is the last gun I grab in a defensive situation.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

For home defense... .22 cal... I wouldn't mind having one of these in the bedroom... pointed at the door.

Gatling Gun
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links