CC Observations from a Newbie

This is a discussion on CC Observations from a Newbie within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am very new to the CC world. I just purchased a glock 19 at the end of October which I have about 800 rounds ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By azchevy
  • 1 Post By rdpG19
  • 1 Post By RugerMike

Thread: CC Observations from a Newbie

CC Observations from a Newbie

I am very new to the CC world. I just purchased a glock 19 at the end of October which I have about 800 rounds through and I am trying to get comfortable carrying around the house, and on my private property until my PA carry permit arrives in the mail. I have been carrying with a loaded magazine, but no round in the chamber since I am trying many different holsters and positions, so I wanted a full mag to give me the weight of a loaded weapon, but for some reason I was uneasy about carrying with one in the chamber.

Here is the observation part of my post. Last week I was taking out the trash night after dinner, and my property is well lit with motion sensitive lights I have installed, but there is a dark spot right next to where I park my car on the side of the house. I realized as I was walking past that spot that if someone got the drop on me there is no way I could rack the slide and defend myself fast enough to be effective. I realized that my gun could have very easily been used against me, and the very thing I bought to protect myself with could become an opportunistic weapon for someone else if I did not carry it +1. Needless to say I racked the slide as soon as I got back inside and have been carrying like that since last Thursday.

I don't want this to turn into a carrying chambered vs not debate. I think that has been beaten to death, and I used to read about all of these issues on here before I started carrying. I guess the point of all of this is I am starting to realize that we make a ton of decisions about how we carry. Open carry or CC. +1 or empty chamber. Leather, kydex, or both. 9mm or .45. The list could go on forever. I have already made many of those choices, but my experience the other night taught me to just trust my instincts and I will be able to make the rest of these choices for myself as they come. It was a very strange feeling thinking of my glock as a liability and not an asset. I will certainly never carry it without a round chambered again.

Stay sharp and stay safe.
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thumbs up

It's nice to get an object lesson that doesn't cost dearly.

Most best practices really are common sense.
    jem102 likes this.

Well, if he grabbed an unloaded gun - only you would know it. He'd have to rack the slide to make it go bang, by then I'd hope you're either in your home grabbing another gun, or long gone calling the cops.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Well, if he grabbed an unloaded gun - only you would know it. He'd have to rack the slide to make it go bang, by then I'd hope you're either in your home grabbing another gun, or long gone calling the cops.
    A friend of mine was shot and killed with his own gun after a bg knocked it out of the holster, picked up and re-inserted the mag which had fallen out, racked it, and fired

(edit) oh, yeah, he was the cops.

As long as you have a quality holster that protects the trigger, I suggest you carry with one in the chamber. Also if you carry concealed, how would anyone know you have a weapon?
    Thunder71 likes this.

3D
    ........until my PA carry permit arrives in the mail.
    FWIW
    PA License to carry firearms does not arrive in the mail.
    A post card arrives in the mail advising you to pick up your license in person at the Sheriff's Office.

Congrats on thinking-it-through and coming to your own conclusion about round in the chamber.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

You have a Glock 19, put one in the chamber and don't worry about it. It won't go off unless you pull the trigger. Just remember one thing, "never put your finger on the trigger until your ready to shoot something"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The more you carry it the more comfortable you will become with the idiea of having a gun on your hip and also more confident that the gun is not going to go bang until you want it to. But you must "Always Think".
    kwoodford likes this.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    As long as you have a quality holster that protects the trigger, I suggest you carry with one in the chamber. Also if you carry concealed, how would anyone know you have a weapon?
    I have a Remora holster and a Blackhawk CQC level 1 (no button to hit) right now, but I will have a Comp-tac Minotaur MTAC Holster by the time my permit arrives (hopefully). Since I have a quality holster, I am not sure why I was uneasy about carrying +1, but I am over it now and I know I will get more comfortable the longer I carry it.

As far as my logic goes for someone knowing I have a weapon, I was not so much concerned about someone seeing it as I was concerned with my ability to draw, rack, point/aim, and fire under stress. One of the things I like most about Glocks, and one of the main reasons I decided to purchase one, is the ability to draw and shoot without worrying about any external safeties or weapon articulation other than the act of firing the weapon. I was totally giving that away by not carrying with a chambered round.
    Bullet1234 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    FWIW
    PA License to carry firearms does not arrive in the mail.
    A post card arrives in the mail advising you to pick up your license in person at the Sheriff's Office.

Congrats on thinking-it-through and coming to your own conclusion about round in the chamber.
    Thanks for the heads up. That means I will need to make another mad dash to the Sheriff's Office after work. They are only open from 9-4 Monday to Friday, which does not align well with my work schedule. I am not sure how people with normal jobs are expected to get there?

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    I have a Remora holster and a Blackhawk CQC level 1 (no button to hit) right now, but I will have a Comp-tac Minotaur MTAC Holster by the time my permit arrives (hopefully). Since I have a quality holster, I am not sure why I was uneasy about carrying +1, but I am over it now and I know I will get more comfortable the longer I carry it.

As far as my logic goes for someone knowing I have a weapon, I was not so much concerned about someone seeing it as I was concerned with my ability to draw, rack, point/aim, and fire under stress. One of the things I like most about Glocks, and one of the main reasons I decided to purchase one, is the ability to draw and shoot without worrying about any external safeties or weapon articulation other than the act of firing the weapon. I was totally giving that away by not carrying with a chambered round.
    take some force on force classes.... about as close as you can get to the real thing while dealing with adrenaline and stress during an attack

VIP Member
    As the old saying goes: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". In this case: "We can tell you all the reasons to carry with a round in the chamber, but only you can make that decision". Glad you saw the light, even if you were the one who turned on the bulb. Be safe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am happy you reached IMO the right decision without anything bad happening. That said if you are still trying to get the holster in the right spot and doing a lot of removal, reposition, reholster, try for 30 minutes and move it again I would keep the chamber empty. You know that the more you handle, reposition, reholster, etc the higher your chances of AD/ND. When I teach a class or am asked for advice I always recommend an empty chamber and full mag for adjusting to a new holster or carry position just for safety. Just like you don't practice drawing with a round chambered for the same reason. As soon as you find the spot...a round in the chamber always.

Links