CCW videos for discussion

This is a discussion on CCW videos for discussion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning, You often wonder what you would do in these situations. In the second case, the fear of prosecution over shooting an unarmed (even ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good morning,
    You often wonder what you would do in these situations. In the second case, the fear of prosecution over shooting an unarmed (even though, quite justified) BG is something we have to face as well. At any rate, what are your thoughts...

youtube video:
    (Motel clerk shoots Robber)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AA_d...elated&search=

google video:
    (Convenience Store clerk shoots unarmed robber)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=robbery&hl=en

VIP Member
    Hadn't seen the second video before.
    I certainly would hope she wouldn't have to worry about prosecution on that one. In Washington State, even pretending you have a weapon in such circumstances still makes it Armed Robbery and it would be hard for me to see someone going down for shooting an "armed robber". He had his chance to leave with the money, and stayed for more; she didn't shoot more than was necessary (although I probably would have started with more than one shot myself); I don't think she had a choice.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Ref 2nd video >>Way to go lady. The POS scumbag got what he deserved. I do not feel that charges will be filed. Hope not anyway.

Some of these BG's feel that they are sooooooo intimidateing. They should know that all people will just not sit back and take it. Some of us WILL fight back.--------

The both looked plenty justified to me.
    The guy in the first video was smart with using his coworker to hide himself pulling out his weapon and catching the crook off guard.
    I think those are two great cases of armed citizens protecting themselves and others.

Let me play devils advocate for a minute.

1st video .... No doubt justifiable , BUT the GG was shooting awful close to the woman and the baby (as the BG was fleeing). That could have turned into a bad situation easy.

2nd Video .... I feel that was a good shooting, BUT
    Once again I stress , Know your particular states laws inside and out before you are pushed into a situation. How bad would it be to get charges put on you as the good guy for protecting yourself.
    Then Again... how does the old saying go ..

Better to be Judged by 12 , than carried by 6

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

I may be a newbie but someone please explain how the first video was justifiable? It seems to me that by producing the weapon he got the reaction needed and the "bg" abandoned his original plan and ran. The clerk then fired three or so shots in to the back of the fleeing subject. I don't see how that is self-defense but maybe I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by rvacoastie View Post
    I may be a newbie but someone please explain how the first video was justifiable? It seems to me that by producing the weapon he got the reaction needed and the "bg" abandoned his original plan and ran. The clerk then fired three or so shots in to the back of the fleeing subject. I don't see how that is self-defense but maybe I missed something.
    You can't see what the robber is doing off screen. He may very well be pointing a gun or holding a knife at them. This is just my guess...

I'd go with still seeing him as a threat because he didn't drop his pistol. Not sure how that would go down in court per se, but I'd have shot too.

It appears to me(armchair QB'ing) that he fired until he felt the threat was clear. If I'm not mistaken this is RooftopVoter from over on gunsnet.
    The point isn't to brandish and hope it scares the BG away. If I remember correctly I remember him saying something about as soon as he had presented the BG jumped back and raised his gun. So seems fine to me even the part where he continued firing until the BG was out the door and then took up a covered position to keep guard. I'm pretty sure the BG survived as well, although how he fares in prison is a whole new ball game.

That fist vid is pretty old. The BG came in with a pistol and demanded the cash. As soon as he saw the clerks gun, he started to raise his. That's when the clerk opened fire.

No charges were filed against the clerk, who posts on GlockTalk.com He wasn't even taken into custody.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    That fist vid is pretty old. The BG came in with a pistol and demanded the cash. As soon as he saw the clerks gun, he started to raise his. That's when the clerk opened fire.

No charges were filed against the clerk, who posts on GlockTalk.com He wasn't even taken into custody.
    Just curious, did he say what happened to his firearm? I would expect it was taken as evidence, but was it ever returned? If so how long after?

Looks like I might have posted an older video a lot people were already aware of. None-the-less, rvacoastie brings up an interesting point pertaining to the fact that the clerk was firing on a fleeing robber. One way of looking at the use of force with CCW is to just STOP a person from doing what that person is doing. Once an individual is fleeing, the chasing or firing upon that person in the back may be perceived as you taking a step from defender to hunter or re-escalating the situation. More armchair QB'ing though, really. He could easily turn around and shoot you. Quite another story if the clerk actually chased this individual down the street. This all just makes one think about the types of decisions that we need to make, right or wrong. -Yeah, the close proximity of the lady and girl made me nervous in the video too!

3sh
    as far as I see it nothing to stop the guy from turning at the door or even shooting through the glass from outside that room. Actually I was surprised to see he only shot 3 shots, I thought he might have done more.

*edit. and nice way the guy in the 1st video handled it, very calmly got up and acted like he was telling her to do something with the money and used her as cover to pull the gun. (also giving him a better angle on the guy, away from the woman and child)

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    There seems to be a lot of dust floating around after the shooting in the first video. Did the BG get off a shot into the ceiling/wall?

The first time I saw this video I thought the same thing GoodSam. I was almost sure the bad guy got off a shot but, after talking to RoofTopVoter myself through email several times he assured me that the Bad guy did not fire. He did in fact have a working gun but he did not fire.
    Also, to aleviate everyones worryies about how close he fired to the woman and her child, the angle of the video is deceptive. He was close to her but not as close as the video makes it look. He told me that he was very aware of her and the child and that the Bad Guy had a look in his eyes that seemed wild. He was affraid that after getting the money he would just shoot them all to get rid of witnesses. He wore no mask.

He fired at him as he was fleeing yes. But, as he put it, there was nothing to stop him from firing a shot at them as he fled or, spinning and shooting or, stopping after getting outside and shooting through the glass at them all. He felt his life and the other peoples lives in the room were in jepardy. He fired. The police did not charge him, the DA declined to file any charges and he was 100% cleared. It was a good shoot.
    His gun was taken by the police. He bought another to replace it and his original gun was returned to him after a few months.

He's a hell of a good guy and I think he did a great job.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links