glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on - Page 2

glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

This is a discussion on glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the things I like about the Glock is the absence of a manual safety. Carry your Glock with a round chambered and much ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

One of the things I like about the Glock is the absence of a manual safety. Carry your Glock with a round chambered and much like a double action revolver you just draw, point, and shoot. Glocks in their simplicity require mindfulness and adherance to the rules of safety when handling and that same simplicity also qualifies them as fine handguns to carry for self defense in my opinion.

I don't see this as a "Glock vs Ruger SR9" for carry question, it is a "do I carry the loaded gun vs the unloaded gun starting today" question. The obvious choice is the loaded gun. If, for the OP, that means it's the SR9, great. It's a quality piece and as long as he's well versed in it's use there's nothing wrong with it for self defense carry. Advise on training and practice to become comfortable carrying the Glock is all well and good but that does not have him armed and protected today, carrying the SR9 does.
    joker1 and SIGguy229 like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Welcome to the forum Msutt1.

In time you will find your comfort zone. I agree with what others have said, do not carry the Glock without one in the chamber. Too many seconds lost at the wrong time. If the firearm (SR9c) has a safety, use it. Here is a link that shows how the Glock works and the internal safeties. I also carry a G19 in a CBST (must be a Ks thing) and have no concerns about the safety of the firearm. I keep my finger off the trigger until I am ready for it to go bang.

Genitron.com: Basics-Interactive Illustrated Glock Pistol
    9MMare likes this.

I usually tell my female friend who has her CHL to carry her S&W bodyguard 38 revolver instead of her Ruger LCP because she doesn't feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber. That's how I feel about not carrying in Condition 1. 10th of seconds count and when you panic you'll probably handle the gun as if someone just handed it to you for the first time. That being said, for the first week I carried unchambered until I thought "what if?"

As others have mentioned, you should at the very minimum get some training. You can find a lot of chambered/unchambered debates on this forum, but in the event you ever need a handgun, you might have the time to rack the slide, but you may not have the physical ability. Here are some situations...

• On your back with an attacker on top of you
    • Fending off an attacker with one hand
    • Injured arm/hand
    • Poor rack, resulting in a misfeed/jam
    9MMare likes this.

Sounds to me like you'd be more comfortable with the Ruger, chambered, safety on. Practice by presenting the gun at night (unloaded) in front of the TV or whatever, taking that safety off. After a while, it will become second nature.
    WC145 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msutt1 View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to the site so I apologize if this has already been beat up. I am new to handgun ownership(45 years old and up till a month ago had never fired a handgun). I have applied for my concealed carry and am currently deciding on my carry. I read Somebody who said the only valuable carry gun is the one you are willing to carry. I am not comfortable carrying my Glock 19 chambered and ready to fire. I am also not comfortable carrying my Ruger SR9C without the safety on, so I would love to hear people's opinions or thoughts on which way I would be best off.
    Thanks
    This has been hashed out so many times here it isn't even funny.

As I have said time and time and time and time again, modern handguns, such as the Glock 19, are DESIGNED to be carried with a round in the chamber. If you are not comfortable with doing so, it means you are not confident in your gun handling abilities which in turn means, you should not be carrying a gun until you ARE confident in your gun handling abilities.

Get a quality holster that covers the trigger completely, get some training and you'll be fine. I have had to use my gun, a Glock 23, and I can tell you, had I not had a round chambered and had to take the extra second or less to do that, I would not have come out on top. These kind of situations happen so fast you do not have time to take the extra steps to chamber. If you aren't carrying as the gun was designed to be carried, you may as well just carry a hammer with you instead of the gun.

As to the SR9c with the safety on, as long as there is a round in the chamber, that's fine. But you MUST practice and practice and practice some more to get that swiping the safety off as you draw down to the point that it happens without you even thinking about it. It must become an ingrained part of the draw stroke, otherwise, you will not have a functioning firearm when you need it most.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by msutt1 View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to the site so I apologize if this has already been beat up. I am new to handgun ownership(45 years old and up till a month ago had never fired a handgun). I have applied for my concealed carry and am currently deciding on my carry. I read Somebody who said the only valuable carry gun is the one you are willing to carry. I am not comfortable carrying my Glock 19 chambered and ready to fire. I am also not comfortable carrying my Ruger SR9C without the safety on, so I would love to hear people's opinions or thoughts on which way I would be best off.
    Thanks
    You really need to seek training. First of all, the gun will not fire unless you pull the trigger. The Glock was designed to be carried loaded. I would not recommend first-time owners/shooters to carry with the safety off...but if you're going to carry your Ruger with the safety on, you need to practice disengaging the safety. Then the question is, can you disengage the safety under stress when you're watching the threat? My guess would be no.

All of your concerns can be addressed by a competent instructor. Follow the gun safety rules:
    1 Treat every gun as if it is loaded
    2 Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
    3 Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction; don't point the gun at anything you DON'T want to destroy (see Rule 1)

Oh, and get a holster designed for your gun...not a crappy Uncle Mike's holster...try some of the vendors here. Personally, I like UBG Holsters Also get a quality belt (your normal JC Penny belt won't support the weight of a gun, holster, and spare mag).
    To carry an unloaded gun is to carry a paperweight. Do a on carrying unloaded, and you will see the debate.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    In addition to all the above, remember there is no reason to holster your weapon in a hurry. Be sure the holster is clear and the gun is going straight in as designed. Above all, keep you finger off the trigger regardless of whether you have a safety on the gun.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Do yourself a huge favor and take a Defensive Pistol class with a good instructor. Yeah I know, it's not mandatory, the 2nd amendment blah blah blah. Your reluctance to carry any pistol chambered will be removed and your confidence in yourself and that pistol will grow.

Welcome to the forum.
    TN_Mike and SIGguy229 like this.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

+1 for the get more training replies. This should have been the first advice given. The gun you carry or the way you carry it matters little compared to knowing how to use it properly and being proficient with what you choose.

VIP Member
    For now I suggest the Ruger, loaded, with the safety on. But whila you are at home I suggest you take Matt in Fla's advice and give the Glock a try. In fact I suggest you drop your unloaded glock on your floor a few times just to prove to yourself that it won't go off unless you pull the trigger. Glocks are very popular pistols and have been around for 25 years. The design is a proven winner and they shoot great.

I would suggest carrying the Glock in a quality holster, completely unloaded, with the striker cocked (i.e. clear the gun completely, cycle the slide and holster with the trigger in the forward position) around the house for a few days. You will notice that the trigger remains in the forward position, indicating that the pistol has not "fired" of it's own accord.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Both of your guns were designed to be safely carried with a round in the chamber.As long as you keep your finger off the trigger the gun will not fire. Remember, in a defensive situation, when seconds count, do you want to have to worry about racking the slide? It's not like at the range, where a few extra seconds don't mean anything.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I won't own a Glock

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    In addition to all the above, remember there is no reason to holster your weapon in a hurry. Be sure the holster is clear and the gun is going straight in as designed. Above all, keep you finger off the trigger regardless of whether you have a safety on the gun.
    Holstering is one of my great concerns with the Glock design. I know a man, well experienced with handguns and with Glock, who was in a carefully regulated training scenario and while holstering the Glock a piece of his clothing found its way inside the trigger guard as he was sliding the Glock into the holster. This caused the Glock to discharge because the "safety" in the trigger was depressed, allowing the trigger to be pressed and discharge a round. The round passed all the way down his leg causing extensive damage ahd he has a permanent limp and a leg brace.

I'm also concerned that every claim against Glock citing design flaws causing injuries has been settled out of court with non-disclosure agreements. What are they hiding?

We each make our own choices...

I don't have the SR9c yet, but it's on my wish list.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. More advanced training is definitely in my plans. I am currently trying to find someplace a little closer to my home in northern ohio than the tactical defense institute mentioned earlier which is about 4 hours away.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links