glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on - Page 3

glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

This is a discussion on glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Training is good. But there is nothing like spending time with your pistol to make friends with it. My first pistol was a Glock 19. ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Training is good. But there is nothing like spending time with your pistol to make friends with it.

My first pistol was a Glock 19. I didn't feel comfortable carrying it. I knew it made no sense to carry it with the chamber empty, and I had two really good holsters, but I just worried about a ND. It's still my biggest worry.

So I bought a Walther PPK/S and carried that. First I carried it with one in the chamber, decocked, decocking lever in the safe position. After 6 to 9 months I started carrying it with one in the chamber decocked with the decocking lever in the fire position. That long pull gave me confidence. The fact that I could load, unload, and clear the pistol with the decocker in the safe position was a huge feature for me in those early days. I found another PPK/S that had been modified to have Novak sights which was a huge improvement, so I bought that and carried it.

I gradually developed the confidence to carry my Glock 19 with one in the chamber. It took about 18 months. during that time I did a lot of practice and shot some action pistol matches with the G19 to gain confidence with it. I have since bought a Glock 26 and an LCP, all of which I carry with one in the chamber.

That said, with one exception, my Glocks are always in a holster.

I do not take them out of the holster when I'm packing. If they are never out of the holster, reholstering isn't an issue. One of the things I trained and practiced was how to manage the pistol in a public restroom stall. I practiced that by carrying at home all the time. I am very careful reholstering, but shooting Action Pistol and IDPA using my carry holster has given me a lot of practice and greatly improved my gun handling.

When I take my 26 off it goes into a small cheap holster that covers the trigger. It's in that holster when it's not on me.

The exception is my Glock 19 that sits in the bedside safe with a rail light on it. It has a round in the chamber and is not in a holster.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    Maybe someone can also prove me wrong, but I have NEVER heard of a Glock just going off unless the trigger is being pulled, this is why I fully trust the design of them. I've dropped my G26 on a tile floor, the split second in-between impact I was thinking to myself OH crap, but remembered quickly of it's internal design.
    Some months ago there was a video posted where a cheap sloppy holster that appeared to be greasy and soft had actually sagged into the trigger guard of a Glock enough to pressure the trigger causing the Glock to discharge. This of course was not the fault of the gun itself but it does underscore the need to be mindful of the possibilities when carrying and holstering your Glock and to use good well maintained equipment. Glock design requires that much.

Welcome to the forum, Go to the range and do a lot of practice with both guns. The more rounds you shoot down the range the more you will learn about your guns. The uncomfortable feelings will go away (I felt the same way when I first start carring a simi-auto) I started carring a 357 mag revolver, the only safety was the trigger. I then bought a Glock 19 after doing a lot of research, what made me get the Glock is it is much like the revolver because the only safety is the trigger. (it won't go off unless you pull the trigger).
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Both are excellent carry guns. Start with the SR9c and carry the G19 when you're comfortable.

I learned to reholster with my thumb up and over the hammer or back of the slide. If something catches the trigger, on a double action revolver I can feel the hammer move and catch it or stop what I am doing, on a single action (1911) I wrap my thumb around the hammer so it lands on my thumb and and not the firing pin, on a Springfield XD (or 1911) my hand is off the grip safety so it cannot fire, on a Glock my thumb gets torn up. I don't own a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by msutt1 View Post
    I have a comp-tac MTAC holster for the Glock 19. I would probably order the same holster for my Ruger if I chose that route.

My feeling of being uncomfortable probably just comes from my lack of experience with handguns. Maybe in time it will go away, but for now I am just not comfortable carrying it that way.
    Get some good training, and your lack of comfort with carrying chambered should go away quite quickly.

I've carried a Glock 19 or 23 for two years now, and I can assure you that they only go BANG when the trigger is pulled.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    I learned to reholster with my thumb up and over the hammer or back of the slide. If something catches the trigger, on a double action revolver I can feel the hammer move and catch it or stop what I am doing, on a single action (1911) I wrap my thumb around the hammer so it lands on my thumb and and not the firing pin, on a Springfield XD (or 1911) my hand is off the grip safety so it cannot fire, on a Glock my thumb gets torn up. I don't own a Glock.
    1. Why and how does your thumb get torn up?

2. You could take a split second to look and make sure you are holstering properly. That's the obvious choice at least.

3. I've holstered my Glocks thousands of times, and I've never shot myself or "torn up my thumb." If you feel resistance when holstering, stop and make sure you are clear.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

People who are irrationally fearful of the Glock design make me laugh. The gun still won't go off unless the trigger is depressed. And no matter how that happens, your finger, a piece of clothing, a crappy holster- whatever, it's still YOUR fault, not the guns fault. There is no design flaw in the Glock. The trigger gets depressed and the gun goes off. THAT'S WHAT'S SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN WHEN THE TRIGGER IS DEPRESSED. You have to do your job, the gun is going to do its job no matter what.
    joker1 and SIGguy229 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I agree with everything that is said before me, but you are the one who has to feel comfortable. I can tell you my first carry piece was a Glock 30, and although i assumed everyone knew i had a gun, and was nervous about buckeling my seatbelt thinking i would shoot myself, with time my fears melted away. I carried with one in the chamber from day one, and i am glad i did. I have many friends who carry, and some still to this day do not have one in the chamber due to fears of it going off.

On a different note, the Israeli's carry unchambered... just something to think about. Good luck with your decision. There was a great video on youtube of someone dragging a loaded Glock behind a truck, and had the video camera watching it boucing around. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    People who are irrationally fearful of the Glock design make me laugh. The gun still won't go off unless the trigger is depressed. And no matter how that happens, your finger, a piece of clothing, a crappy holster- whatever, it's still YOUR fault, not the guns fault. There is no design flaw in the Glock. The trigger gets depressed and the gun goes off. THAT'S WHAT'S SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN WHEN THE TRIGGER IS DEPRESSED. You have to do your job, the gun is going to do its job no matter what.
    I dont see his thinking as irrational (WORD meaning:without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.) ... it is very common for each and every person to worry about accidentally hurting themselves or others. This person is new to shooting, and should not be put down for asking a question. Its not a mental clarity thing, just an under education of the true workings of CCW.... they will work it out with a little help from us. bunker
    jace33 likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I would never recommend an inexperienced shooter carry a defensive handgun without a round in the chamber. It takes a lot of experience and training to rack the slide and get a round off in a stressful situation without having an ND or failure. You may or may not have time to rack the slide in a real self defense situation so if you are not comfortable, I suggest the ruger and train with the safety, but if you keep your finger off the glock trigger it will not fire...... if you have a trigger/finger problem the ruger will still fire the minute you disengage the safety regardless of where the weapon is pointed.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post

On a different note, the Israeli's carry unchambered... just something to think about.
    I could be wrong, but I think that was changed several years ago. Besides, I am not Israeli. :)
    TN_Mike likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I carry an SR9C loaded with 18 rounds and the manual safety on. Through many a night of just practicing my draw from various positions wearing various types of clothing I can have the gun out and on target with the safety off just as fast as I can with any other gun without a safety. It's a matter of knowing your firearm and training over and over to make sure it becomes more than second nature. You don't need to be at a fancy range to work the fundamentals and become proficient drawing and re-holstering your firearm.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SwatMedic338 View Post
    I carry an SR9C loaded with 18 rounds and the manual safety on. Through many a night of just practicing my draw from various positions wearing various types of clothing I can have the gun out and on target with the safety off just as fast as I can with any other gun without a safety. It's a matter of knowing your firearm and training over and over to make sure it becomes more than second nature. You don't need to be at a fancy range to work the fundamentals and become proficient drawing and re-holstering your firearm.
    Thank you!!!!! Like I said before, the goal is helping the OP arm himself given the guns and parameters he described, not pushing the Glock as a prefered sidearm. Because he owns a Glock doesn't mean that he needs to carry or work towards carrying that over any other gun he has. Nothing against Glocks but they're not the all that ends all. He will be as well armed with the SR9 as with the Glock and he's comfortable with it for carry. There's no difference between him carrying the SR9 in condition one or me carrying my 1911 duty gun in condition one and I'm certainly undergunned with my 1911.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

i'd go with the ruger,you can flick the safty off faster on the ruger sr9c then you could rack/chamber a round on the glock..if you decide on the glock,you could also install a NY1 trigger,this might make you more comfortable carrying with a round chambered?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links