glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on - Page 4

glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

This is a discussion on glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by azchevy I would never recommend an inexperienced shooter carry a defensive handgun without a round in the chamber. It takes a lot ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I would never recommend an inexperienced shooter carry a defensive handgun without a round in the chamber. It takes a lot of experience and training to rack the slide and get a round off in a stressful situation without having an ND or failure. You may or may not have time to rack the slide in a real self defense situation so if you are not comfortable, I suggest the ruger and train with the safety, but if you keep your finger off the glock trigger it will not fire...... if you have a trigger/finger problem the ruger will still fire the minute you disengage the safety regardless of where the weapon is pointed.
    Good post.....To some that are new. Read it, learn it, love it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    I just need to ask why are you not comfortable with a Glock?

A bad holster is a bad holster regardless of how many "safeties" something has. Get a good holster for the Glock that has a solid full covering of the trigger, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    Having never carried a handgun, let alone SHOT one before, it's perfectly understandable to be uncomfortable with chambered carry, especially with a handgun with no manual safeties.

OP: It will take time to become comfortable (never get TOO comfortable). Once you understand how the pistol works, whether it's a the Ruger or Glock, and you see that it's nearly impossible for it to fire without the trigger being pulled, you'll find comfort in carrying with a chambered round. Any good quality holster with cover the trigger, rending the trigger inaccessible, so you have no worries. Personally, I think safeties only get in the way. I want nothing to do with manual safeties on a carry pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Dry firing will not hurt either gun.
    This is incorrect. Dry firing can damage the striker on the Ruger SR9c IF the magazine disconnect is installed and the magazine is removed. I removed my disconnect the first day I owned it and regularly dry fire it. Remove the magazine disconnect and you're good to go. I believe in dry fire practice, but I check the chamber before I even touch the trigger and I check the chamber several times during the practice.

With time, you'll get more comfortable with carrying and the varying aspects of it. Years ago I would have NEVER owned a Glock because it did not have a manual safety. At this point I still don't own one but I would if I wanted to. I do want a 10mm Glock some day. The gun will only fire if the trigger is pulled. That's it. If it was unsafe, would the majority of law enforcement carry a Glock? Would it be one of the best selling handguns in history? I'm not a fan of the aesthetics but that isn't what a gun is for. For the record, my EDC is a Ruger SR9c and I carry with the manual safety turned on. Always train to turn the safety off on the draw.

eb
    As others have said, the obvious choice given your options is the ruger. It has an unfortunate magazine safety though. I won't carry a gun with that system in it. One of my favorite carry guns is the Springfield XD. It has a Glock-like trigger safety and a grip safety. That said I regularly carry guns with all the common trigger systems, and I carry them all chambered. Get yourself a gun with the trigger/safety system you like, and buy a quality holster. Welcome to the forum!

I highly recommend you carry the SR9. It was designed with the newer shooter in mind. The manual safety will make holstering safer for you. As long as the safety is on it can't fire. No worries there! Just practice drawing and dry firing remembering to sweep off the safety at the appropriate time.

I never recommend a Glock to a newer shooter. I feel it's way too easy to make a mistake and have an ND. Using a Glock takes a lot more time to get used to. And overcoming the ND fear is a big part of it.

You can get used to your Glock over time. It's not a race. It takes time. And that's fine.

FYI, I carry one of my Glocks every day. And I highly recommend them. But Glocks are not the one gun for all of us.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msutt1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. More advanced training is definitely in my plans. I am currently trying to find someplace a little closer to my home in northern ohio than the tactical defense institute mentioned earlier which is about 4 hours away.
    Hi Fellow Ohioan,

In NE-Ohio, we have access to quite a few excellent "local" trainers. Listed in no particular order....

Chris Cerino needs no further recommendation other than his performance on Top Shot.

From early spring to late fall, the Greenport Tactical club, near Canton, plays host to several excellent local trainers, including Ron Lauinger of LMI.

Suarez's schools has also historically hosted classes in NE-Ohio, at Pierpont.

Three Tango Firearms Academy, run by Bill Holcomb, who is a member of the Forums here, is also an excellent local resource, specializing in civilian "defensive pistol" proficiency and concealed-carry (by the end of his tier-two "intermediate" level course, he all but guaranties that a student will be able to draw-from-concealment [and we're not talking from under a rigged 'concealment vest,' either, we're talking about your typical street wardrobe] have the first shot on-target, 8-inch center-mass at 3 yards, in under 1.5 seconds).

And last but not least, Commence FireARMS Academy, run by Keith Campbell and his family, offers perhaps what you *most* need, currently - and that is proficiency at holstering. They offer a evening (weekday)-based two-hour, part-lecture part active-draw (using your dry-and-cleared handgun and your own gear) "Holster Course," for a measly $20. They actually mandate this course as a pre-requisite before you progress to their "run and gun" live-fire courses, and I think that is a very good consideration - as well as is an excellent stand-alone class for beginner-level concealed-carry holders.

Hello,
    I am new to the site so I apologize if this has already been beat up. I am new to handgun ownership(45 years old and up till a month ago had never fired a handgun). I have applied for my concealed carry and am currently deciding on my carry. I read Somebody who said the only valuable carry gun is the one you are willing to carry. I am not comfortable carrying my Glock 19 chambered and ready to fire. I am also not comfortable carrying my Ruger SR9C without the safety on, so I would love to hear people's opinions or thoughts on which way I would be best off.
    Thanks
    I am pretty new to carrying as well. Here is a thread I started not to long ago addressing this issue from my perspective.
    CC Observations from a Newbie
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    In addition to all the above, remember there is no reason to holster your weapon in a hurry. Be sure the holster is clear and the gun is going straight in as designed. Above all, keep you finger off the trigger regardless of whether you have a safety on the gun.
    This is good advice too.

I carry my 9mm in a holster attached in my purses. However for IDPA practice, I have to use a holster. I bought a Serpa Blackhawk and practiced with it a bit at home. But at practice, they stopped me and I was instructed in the proper way to draw and holster that weapon...there were things I hadnt even thought of.

For the OP, I'd recommend something like IDPA or ISCPA practice, even if you dont want to compete. Everyone offers suggestions and you get to move and draw and reload on the move and shoot from different positions, around obstacles, etc. You are under some pressure because you are being timed and observed by everybody else. And I find it to be a fun and very affordable training option.
    WC145 and ironmike86 like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    Holstering is one of my great concerns with the Glock design. I know a man, well experienced with handguns and with Glock, who was in a carefully regulated training scenario and while holstering the Glock a piece of his clothing found its way inside the trigger guard as he was sliding the Glock into the holster. This caused the Glock to discharge because the "safety" in the trigger was depressed, allowing the trigger to be pressed and discharge a round. The round passed all the way down his leg causing extensive damage ahd he has a permanent limp and a leg brace.

I'm also concerned that every claim against Glock citing design flaws causing injuries has been settled out of court with non-disclosure agreements. What are they hiding?

We each make our own choices...

I don't have the SR9c yet, but it's on my wish list.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding but how is that any different from how it could happen with most other semi-autos if something were caught like that? Are trigger safeties and guard configurations that different? I dont think so.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Hello,
    I am new to the site so I apologize if this has already been beat up. I am new to handgun ownership(45 years old and up till a month ago had never fired a handgun). I have applied for my concealed carry and am currently deciding on my carry. I read Somebody who said the only valuable carry gun is the one you are willing to carry. I am not comfortable carrying my Glock 19 chambered and ready to fire. I am also not comfortable carrying my Ruger SR9C without the safety on, so I would love to hear people's opinions or thoughts on which way I would be best off.
    Thanks
    Try a revolver, 38 snub - or a full-size if you're new to shooting or revolvers. Can't go wrong....... none of that stuff to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I dont see his thinking as irrational (WORD meaning:without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.) ... it is very common for each and every person to worry about accidentally hurting themselves or others. This person is new to shooting, and should not be put down for asking a question. Its not a mental clarity thing, just an under education of the true workings of CCW.... they will work it out with a little help from us. bunker
    Yeah, in all honesty, irrational is not the word I should have used. More like uneducated or untrained. I didn't intend to be offensive.
    9MMare likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Why not start with a revolver until you feel more comfortable, and competent with firearms in general. Then gun up to a high cap autoloader if you feel the need.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Glock 19 with one in the chamber. It's not gonna go off unless you pull the trigger. Get a good holster and your all set. Just put one round in the gun and spend time walking around the house or out in the garage or yard during the day. Do this for a week or two and you'll forget that it's even ther. The only safety or lack of that matters is the one between your ears

GM
    Welcome to the forum

Perhaps it would be a good idea if you spent a little money on some good firearm training. There is not reason to fear carrying the G-19 chambered if you have a good holster. Racking the slide in a high-stress situation can be very a difficult task, and even more if you are new to handguns.
    Last edited by GM; November 20th, 2011 at 08:21 AM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'd suggest carrying a J frame revolver until you're confident with your skill level. Carrying a firearm that's not ready to work from the draw is a good way to take the first hit in a gun fight. Just saying.
    9MMare likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links