glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

This is a discussion on glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would not carry any striker fired weapon, the Glock being the best of them perhaps but you can't get away for it having the ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

I would not carry any striker fired weapon, the Glock being the best of them perhaps but you can't get away for it having the worst safety record of any pistol ever sold in modern times. It is not just becasue there are 'so many out there' like many will say too, though yes that is a factor. Whean I hosted a bunch of Glock Armores at my school 23 years ago, they took apart a dozen Glocks scrambled the parts and assembled the guns again to show the precison of the interchageble parts etc. Ok fine I said, but I don't see how this is going to make strilker fired pistol safe for anybody but a SWAT entry team maybe. As he left one of the factory Glock represenatives said "The pistol is perfectlty safe to carry as long as you don't keep a round chambered".THis was ot of years ago and long befoe the NYC truigger all the wrongul death suits against Glock and the coining of the term "Glock leg" by cops who departments carried them. I like a lot of things about Glocks actually, but they are not safe for the average joe or Jane, but OK the most excperienced entry team in my view.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    I would not carry any striker fired weapon, the Glock being the best of them perhaps but you can't get away for it having the worst safety record of any pistol ever sold in modern times. It is not just becasue there are 'so many out there' like many will say too, though yes that is a factor. Whean I hosted a bunch of Glock Armores at my school 23 years ago, they took apart a dozen Glocks scrambled the parts and assembled the guns again to show the precison of the interchageble parts etc. Ok fine I said, but I don't see how this is going to make strilker fired pistol safe for anybody but a SWAT entry team maybe. As he left one of the factory Glock represenatives said "The pistol is perfectlty safe to carry as long as you don't keep a round chambered".THis was ot of years ago and long befoe the NYC truigger all the wrongul death suits against Glock and the coining of the term "Glock leg" by cops who departments carried them. I like a lot of things about Glocks actually, but they are not safe for the average joe or Jane, but OK the most excperienced entry team in my view.
    ...What?

I fail to follow your logic in regards to "[Glocks] having the worst safety record of any pistol ever sold in modern times." You are really going to blame a firearm for operator error?

Hey, my Jeep ran into a tree! It wasn't my fault it happened though! The Jeep steered itself into the tree!

Does that make sense?

And yes, ALL pistols are perfectly safe to carry without a round chambered, but they are basically no better than a blunt weapon.
    SpencerB, SIGguy229 and RTTR84 like this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I would be very interested to see some information on the safety records of all these striker-fired weapons, of which there are many popular Glock, S&W, & XD models. Where did you find these numbers?

ALso, what in particular makes a striker-fired weapon more dangerous than other semi-autos?
    RTTR84 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I would be very interested to see some information on the safety records of all these striker-fired weapons, of which there are many popular Glock, S&W, & XD models. Where did you find these numbers?

ALso, what in particular makes a striker-fired weapon more dangerous than other semi-autos?
    Exactly.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

My wife carries an xdm .40 sub-compact and I carry a glock both with a round chamberd,an unloaded gun don't help in a life or death situation, neither one of us have ever had an issue, look up all the testing they do

GM
    Brilliant post! Of course Glocks have the worst safety record of any pistol ever sold in modern times and they are not safe for the average Joe, remember that Glocks do not have safeties and they cannot be detected by metal detectors … and possibly not by X-ray machines either. That explains why the expression "Welcome to the dark side"

ATTENTION GLOCK OWNERS!!!

For your own health and safety, and the health and safety of others, never carry a chambered Glock . Better yet, unless you are a SWAT team member get rid of your Glock(s) asap!

... ...
    Last edited by GM; November 20th, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
    SpencerB and RTTR84 like this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I understand both sides to an extent. But forms I read about the "Glock Leg" refers to many users becoming laxed over time on their firearm. They drop their guard because it becomes a routine to them and forget to treat every firearm like it is loaded. They also are probably not keeping their finger of the trigger until they are ready to shoot it.

Glock and Smith and Wesson's M&P now have loaded chamber indicators too.

Now for one to push the argument of never walking with a round in the chamber..... Let me ask you this. If you didn't carry a gun for various reasons (law or whatever) and had to carry a knife. Would you buy a knife with the blade removed so you only attached it to the handle when you were ready to use it or would you carry a knife with the blade fixed to the handle ready to use in a moments notice?
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    You are entitled to your opinion. But unless or until you post numbers to back up your claims and give us the sources so we can go verify them for ourselves, it is a completely unsubstantiated personal opinion. In other words, worthless.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

I understand both sides to an extent. But forms I read about the "Glock Leg" refers to many users becoming laxed over time on their firearm. They drop their guard because it becomes a routine to them and forget to treat every firearm like it is loaded. They also are probably not keeping their finger of the trigger until they are ready to shoot it.
    With a loaded Glock you just need to exercise enough caution when reholstering to be certain nothing is going to snag on the trigger. If this should happen your Glock will be less forgiving of your carelessness than say a double action revolver. Anyone unaware of this hasn't been paying attention. The simplicity of the Glock design is one reason it is the fine defensive pistol that it is in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    With a loaded Glock you just need to exercise enough caution when reholstering to be certain nothing is going to snag on the trigger.
    I agree to your statement regarding to exercise caution when re-holstering. If a operator didn't exercise caution then they would've been in the definition of becoming laxed and probably got into a routine which in turn may result in a unwanted discharge.

Case in point... It comes down to Operator error not a firearm malfunction or design flaw.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

I'm not a Glock fan...but I don't mind shooting them....heck, I even though of owning one at one time But I've got to ask....do you have sources to validate your assertion?? I'm not talking anecdotal evidence, but researched studies that investigated a wide sample of ADs/NDs with different types of handguns, where a finger engaged a trigger or validated operator-error?

Otherwise, I'm thinking you're making this up. How do I know?
    "85% of statistics are made up when quoted on the internet"
    - A. Lincoln. (borrowed from another post)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I carry my Glock-26 ready to fire at all times. As stated here, might as well carry a brick if you don't. Get a good holster that covers the trigger and and a good gun belt! don't understimate the importance of a good gun belt.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I'm not a Glock fan...but I don't mind shooting them....heck, I even though of owning one at one time But I've got to ask....do you have sources to validate your assertion?? I'm not talking anecdotal evidence, but researched studies that investigated a wide sample of ADs/NDs with different types of handguns, where a finger engaged a trigger or validated operator-error?

Otherwise, I'm thinking you're making this up. How do I know?
    Hehe, I hear ya.

"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    All mothern firearms should have a perfect safety record. The person carrying them might not.. but that's NOT the gun's fault. This guy might work for a competitor of Glock or something. This is the 2nd time I read a similar comment by him.

Quote Originally Posted by msutt1 View Post
    I have a comp-tac MTAC holster for the Glock 19. I would probably order the same holster for my Ruger if I chose that route.
    Welcome to the forum, msutt1. Seems that you already understand the "good holster" thing. Since the advice you requested was "G19/empty pipe or SR9C/safety-on?" my response is... "carry the Ruger."

Hope you stick around.
    Last edited by e4dan; November 21st, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
    WC145 likes this.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links