glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on - Page 6

glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

This is a discussion on glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by msutt1 Hello, I am new to the site so I apologize if this has already been beat up. I am new to ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: glock 19 not chambered or Ruger SR9C safety on

Quote Originally Posted by msutt1 View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to the site so I apologize if this has already been beat up. I am new to handgun ownership(45 years old and up till a month ago had never fired a handgun). I have applied for my concealed carry and am currently deciding on my carry. I read Somebody who said the only valuable carry gun is the one you are willing to carry. I am not comfortable carrying my Glock 19 chambered and ready to fire. I am also not comfortable carrying my Ruger SR9C without the safety on, so I would love to hear people's opinions or thoughts on which way I would be best off.
    Thanks
    Hi.

I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but I don't think you know what you don't know.

Before buying a gun, buy yourself training from a reputable instructor. Get trigger time and learn how to use a pistol in a combative situation, then make up your mind.

Till that happens, it's all theoretical, and you may as well be discussing building assault tactics with suppressed rifles after fast roping from a helo.

Get on a firing line with an instructor and learn.

Then make your own choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    I would not carry any striker fired weapon, the Glock being the best of them perhaps but you can't get away for it having the worst safety record of any pistol ever sold in modern times. It is not just becasue there are 'so many out there' like many will say too, though yes that is a factor. Whean I hosted a bunch of Glock Armores at my school 23 years ago, they took apart a dozen Glocks scrambled the parts and assembled the guns again to show the precison of the interchageble parts etc. Ok fine I said, but I don't see how this is going to make strilker fired pistol safe for anybody but a SWAT entry team maybe. As he left one of the factory Glock represenatives said "The pistol is perfectlty safe to carry as long as you don't keep a round chambered".THis was ot of years ago and long befoe the NYC truigger all the wrongul death suits against Glock and the coining of the term "Glock leg" by cops who departments carried them. I like a lot of things about Glocks actually, but they are not safe for the average joe or Jane, but OK the most excperienced entry team in my view.
    Where does this logic come from??? I can't stop laughing at all the internet myths that seem to be popping up lately
    RTTR84 likes this.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    I would not carry any striker fired weapon, the Glock being the best of them perhaps but you can't get away for it having the worst safety record of any pistol ever sold in modern times. It is not just becasue there are 'so many out there' like many will say too, though yes that is a factor. Whean I hosted a bunch of Glock Armores at my school 23 years ago, they took apart a dozen Glocks scrambled the parts and assembled the guns again to show the precison of the interchageble parts etc. Ok fine I said, but I don't see how this is going to make strilker fired pistol safe for anybody but a SWAT entry team maybe. As he left one of the factory Glock represenatives said "The pistol is perfectlty safe to carry as long as you don't keep a round chambered".THis was ot of years ago and long befoe the NYC truigger all the wrongul death suits against Glock and the coining of the term "Glock leg" by cops who departments carried them. I like a lot of things about Glocks actually, but they are not safe for the average joe or Jane, but OK the most excperienced entry team in my view.
    <-------- clears chamber in G30. Reinserts into holster. Ready for tomorrow. Already feel safer!

Sorry, but striker-fired DAO pistols are ideal for carry, IMO. Carry in a proper holster and you'll have zero problems. Glock's are the number one carried pistol in the entire world. Of course they'll have the most ND's. Firearms don't go off on they're own. They're no easier to ND than anything else. What about Kahrs? DAO Sig's and HK's? Revolvers? And I'm sure that Glock rep. said that to cover himself. Anybody who is trained or has half a brain does NOT recommend to carry with an empty chamber.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    This tread makes me wonder more about a person that can not read about a glock then take it apart and see how it works and understand how it funtions. If you don't want to carry a glock or several other stricker fired pistols chamberd just pick up a pocket full of rocks and your ready to defend yourself.

New Member Array kcsnakecharmer's Avatar
    I didn't read every post but it looks like the general consensus is loaded or not at all and most don't care for safeties. I am personally somewhere in-between. I have carried several different guns including traditional double action and striker fired DAO guns. Most were chosen firstly based on what I considered most safe at the time. I have never been worried about one going off while holstered but always have been a little concerned about the possibility of hooking something while holstering the gun. Watch all the idiots on youtube that shoot themselves in the leg and you will see what I mean. If something is going to go wrong it will be when there is a hand on the gun. I believe there is no shame in owning a gun with a safety as some would have you think. I currently have two guns that are my dedicated carry guns. The SR9c and the M&P40c. Although most M&P pistols lack a manual safety much like a Glock, I ordered mine with the manual safety. I carry with the chamber loaded and safety off. I do however engage the safety while holstering the gun as well as unholstering in the house at the end of the day. I had the Ruger first and was comfortable with doing it that way so when I decided to get the M&P I wanted to keep things consistent. If I were to ever need it, all I have to do is draw and pull the trigger. Regardless of what you see on TV, I firmly believe that you would not have time to draw and chamber a round if you were ever justified in pulling your gun in the first place. Not to mention the possibility of something going wrong in the process or like someone else mentioned what if you only had one hand available to perform the task for whatever reason. It has already been said but guns don't just go off without pulling the trigger. If something were to actually go wrong in either of those guns and the firing pin did release on its own, it aint gonna go bang. If you have ever experienced a light primer strike you know what I mean. You can dent a primer pretty good and not have it fire and a striker fired gun with the firing pin partially back doesn't have enough impact. Now to answer your actual question.....given your weapon choices, I would carry the Ruger both because I like it better that the glock but also because you have the option of using the safety either full time or maybe just while holstering the weapon like I do. Everybody has a different comfort level and there is nothing wrong with that but I agree that if you carry, carry with a chambered round.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I highly suggest a good, hands on training class and plenty of practice. For me, I don't buy carry guns with a safety, and I don't carry without one in the chamber. I only carry a Glock. Once you build your confidence in your guns by practicing with them, you will see that they are safe to carry loaded.

Glocks are perfectly safe fully loaded ! There are 3 safety systems in the Glock. You could throw it against the wall and it won't go off ! As long as you don't pull the trigger
    you won't have a problem. When you holster, draw, whatever, keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot. This is a common safety practice for any gun not just a Glock ! The SR-9C is a fine gun but the Glock is better made, and more durable. If you have a good holster it shouldn't be a problem. I was a bit uneasy carrying a Glock at first, but I got over it in a few hours, not days ! Try it, you'll get used to it. Millions of cops around the world carry their Glocks with one in the pipe, if it wasn't safe they wouldn't be allowd to do it ! Do what you feel most comfortable with though, Glocks aren't for everybody that's why Sig and Beretta are still in buisiness.
    How would you feel with a cocked and locked 1911 ?

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    This tread makes me wonder more about a person that can not read about a glock then take it apart and see how it works and understand how it funtions. If you don't want to carry a glock or several other stricker fired pistols chamberd just pick up a pocket full of rocks and your ready to defend yourself.
    That makes no sense to me at all...

1. Not everyone needs to have the ability (or desire) to take a gun apart and see how it works.
    2. There's plenty of other options between a striker fired gun and rocks.
    3. Not everyone needs to carry with a round chambered if it's not for them, so be it - it's their choice based on their personal situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

1. Not everyone needs to have the ability (or desire) to take a gun apart and see how it works.
    3. Not everyone needs to carry with a round chambered if it's not for them, so be it - it's their choice based on their personal situation.
    4. Not everyone needs to carry a friggin' Glock!

Great guns, well proven, but not for everyone and, believe or not Glock fans, that's okay.
    SwatMedic338, Majorlk and 9MMare like this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

This doesn't make sence to me??
    1. Take apart or field strip?? Everyone should know how to field strip and clean there gun. Taking fully apart maybe not. But field strip is min.
    2. Yes there many kinds of guns look, test alot. You can own many different types.
    3. If you carry you need to practic Condition one carry. If your not sure get traning or at least one with a safety if that makes you feel better. 21foot rule. That how far you need to be to safetly get a shot off. Even Cops get stabbed. While shooting BG. No round your good as dead.
    9mm subcompact search in on - Page 8

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    4. Not everyone needs to carry a friggin' Glock!

Great guns, well proven, but not for everyone and, believe or not Glock fans, that's okay.
    I don't think he was posting about Glocks?? Read #2. I love my Glocks. My prefered carry. But I love my 1911 and I'm thinking I like the Lc9 and may get one :)

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun4169 View Post
    Try it, you'll get used to it. Millions of cops around the world carry their Glocks with one in the pipe, if it wasn't safe they wouldn't be allowd to do it ! Do what you feel most comfortable with though, Glocks aren't for everybody that's why Sig and Beretta are still in buisiness.
    How would you feel with a cocked and locked 1911 ?
    MY carry is usaully a Glock. But I feel my 1911 is safer cocked and locked. Manual safety and grip saftey and need the pull of the trigger to shoot. Versus plain old pull of the trigger with the Glock

I'm not a Glock fan. I've shot a few and I simply don't care for the way they fit (actually don't fit) my hand and I don't like the trigger. I consider carrying one to be the same as carrying a 1911 in Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off - except that the 1911 is safer in that condition due to the grip safety.

That said, to each his own, but I really wish the drinkers of the Glock Kool-Aid would get off their "Glock's the greatest" and "nothing's safer than a Glock" kick, because both are simply OPINIONS and not facts.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I'm not a Glock fan. I've shot a few and I simply don't care for the way they fit (actually don't fit) my hand and I don't like the trigger. I consider carrying one to be the same as carrying a 1911 in Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off - except that the 1911 is safer in that condition due to the grip safety.

That said, to each his own, but I really wish the drinkers of the Glock Kool-Aid would get off their "Glock's the greatest" and "nothing's safer than a Glock" kick, because both are simply OPINIONS and not facts.
    I agree with what your saying. I just like Glock because of all my guns = Glocks various 1911 I've collected for the past 20yrs. The Glocks need less "attention" And my 1911 that run flawless sitting they looking pretty. Are bigger and don't have the round count I like to have. Bottom line carry what you want and practice with.JMO means in condition one. If the OP isn't sure get the Rugar. I'm thinking of getting this gun . I'm interested in it. I'm not picky either. Alot of Lc9 bashing on the trigger. But I like revolvors also :)

Loaded with one chambered. There is either no threat or no time.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links