Parka Time and CCW

This is a discussion on Parka Time and CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it'll be 27 tonight where I live and though I hate to do it, time to get the parka out. In January it may ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Parka Time and CCW

Parka Time and CCW

Well, it'll be 27 tonight where I live and though I hate to do it, time to get the parka out. In January it may be 20 degrees colder - or 27, though that's not usual. Too cold to leave a parka half-zipped so you can get to a gun (and I'm on foot after dark at times, various reasons, though below 15 I'm not). Too cold also for thin gloves - to grasp a handgun well.

So, the only thing I could think of in the past is snubby in a pocket-holster in outside pocket of the parka, still not great for accessibility if your hand is outside of the pocket and has appropriate gloves on for very low temps. Won't be a problem tonight but soon........

So, if you live in Parka-Lands, what do You do?

(I also load with Buffalo Bore Hardened Wadcutter 38s (my snubs are older Colts and I use standard 38), wicked round though, you don't need +P - standard has 18" penetration in gelatin and I figure would be good against leather, down-jackets etc. No HP in winter..)

2. Remove Ads

Same thing with a T-shirt or other closed front shirt.

Drawing from a Closed Front Cover Garment by Gomez-Training.com - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Same thing with a T-shirt or other closed front shirt.

Drawing from a Closed Front Cover Garment by Gomez-Training.com - YouTube
    Not so easy with a parka going to mid-thigh, but I'll work with it and see. Thanks.

Whenever I wear a heavy jacket (don't use parkas much in SC), I wear a vertical shoulder holster. One hand pulls the zipper down while the other draws the gun. Not quite as fast as in the summer, but not a whole lot slower.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    Whenever I wear a heavy jacket (don't use parkas much in SC), I wear a vertical shoulder holster. One hand pulls the zipper down while the other draws the gun. Not quite as fast as in the summer, but not a whole lot slower.
    Hmmmm, never thought of that. Thanks!

Second gun in my parka in a zippered breast pocket or hand warmer pocket.
    Semper Fi
    boricua likes this.

when I carried up north I either used a shoulder rig or carried in a backpack, drawing with a parker like coat just doesn't work well

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I don't change a thang . I can up sweep a coat as well as a shirt. If you train alot and you go from right side waist line carry to a shoulder holster NOTHING is the same and under pressure you are screwed.

AOK
    Peronally I believe in K.I.S.S. I never zip up my coat. When I get into weather conditions I really need the coat closed I wear a coat with buttons. I don't button up the bottom third of the coat so it's easy to grab the inside and sweep it away. As I sweep it away the coat easily unsnaps. With this set up, the draw is the same as with my coat wide open and I'm also able to stay warmer.

In regards to carry I have my primary set up in an OWB at 2:30. It never ever changes regardless of weather conditions here in Michigan.

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I don't change a thang . I can up sweep a coat as well as a shirt. If you train alot and you go from right side waist line carry to a shoulder holster NOTHING is the same and under pressure you are screwed.
    how do you sweep a zipped or buttoned full length coat

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I just carry a snubbie in my parka pocket.

Bigger thicker parka, bigger thicker snubbie.

I actually like this form of carry where you don't have to present the gun in order to engage. My G19 on my hip is still there if I need it.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    how do you sweep a zipped or buttoned full length coat
    Assuming you are right-handed and are accessing your handgun at 1:00 to 5:00 on your right side, reach across your belt buckle with your left hand, grasp the bottom of your coat using your left hand just below your holster and lift the bottom of the coat.

Also consider a snub-nosed revolver with a concealed or shrouded hammer in your parka's front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    I just carry a snubbie in my parka pocket.

Bigger thicker parka, bigger thicker snubbie.

I actually like this form of carry where you don't have to present the gun in order to engage. My G19 on my hip is still there if I need it.

Jim

You mean you carry it without a holster and then would shoot through pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Assuming you are right-handed and are accessing your handgun at 1:00 to 5:00 on your right side, reach across your belt buckle with your left hand, grasp the bottom of your coat using your left hand just below your holster and lift the bottom of the coat.

Also consider a snub-nosed revolver with a concealed or shrouded hammer in your parka's front pocket.
    I like the 1:00 idea under a parka with the non-gun hand pulling up the coat. Now that may be possible. I'll check it out - thanks!

From op:

Thanks to all for these ideas. You can always get good suggestions here about anything. Great resource! .With all of the suggestions, I'm sure I'll find something that will work with me. I bought a pair of very thin but very cold-protective gloves thinking I could handle a gun with them on. But no dice - made it unsafe to get the trigger finger in the guard. I still have to try it on my Beretta 92FS. It has a very large trigger-guard. Might work. I'll try that next time I'm at the range - but still leaves the question: how would anyone pocket-carry a Beretta 92FS!? Have to have mighty big pockets.......

And at the range I'll work with other suggestions (unloaded gun of course).

(May sound overly-cautious but I never work with a gun - even unloaded - any place but at the range in a stall, gun pointed downrange.
    My own safety rule for myself)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links