No Guns Allowed II: "The Butt End of the Pistol"

This is a discussion on No Guns Allowed II: "The Butt End of the Pistol" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a business owner I want to make all of my customers feel welcome, especially those that are LTC. My wife and I were discussing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: No Guns Allowed II: "The Butt End of the Pistol"

No Guns Allowed II: "The Butt End of the Pistol"

As a business owner I want to make all of my customers feel welcome, especially those that are LTC.

My wife and I were discussing several options to advertise this fact:

1. Something like this:

Gun Stuff Shopping Mall

2. Or this:

Our Gun Rights Products

3. Post nothing? It is no one's business who is carrying or not?

4. Find something else. Suggestions would be welcome.

This is a private educational facility. It caters to a specific skilled trade.

I found option #2 first. I immediately liked the fact that is was subtle, yet specific, and therefore elegant with its message. The decal would resemble the image in the upper left-hand corner of the page.

I then found option #1. I liked its boldness and the fact that it had "authority", a very blunt and political statement.

I then considered #3 and its business of...well...no one's but the carrier.

And #4 is for you fine ladies and gentlemen.

2. Remove Ads

Number three, without a doubt.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Administrator
    AS a very business minded person myself, I would do #3. I would not want to drive away potential customers; especially if it had nothing to do with my business itself. No sign is not going to scare off LTC people, nor would it the "sheep". If somebody has questions whether you approve or not at your place of business, then would be the time to share your views if you want to.
    shooterX and MinistrMalic like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I like the second one, personally. I've hard about/seen those before, and really like them- it's subtle, it's simple, and it proves your point to the people who 'need' to know.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

#2 is a bit pricey... but subtle, doable, and let's those who carry know it's okay... #3 is my second choice.

As an educational facility of any kind, what are your laws RE: weapons/carry in IN?
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

I would say #3.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    #2 is a bit pricey... but subtle, doable, and let's those who carry know it's okay... #3 is my second choice.

As an educational facility of any kind, what are your laws RE: weapons/carry in IN?
    The term "educational facility" is nebulous in IN:

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property"
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

My facility is Agricultural Class 1, Private, as far as zoning is concerned. It is a for profit institution that is not supported by any level of government.

From what I understand, I may relieve myself on any portion of the property as long as I do not violate any local ordinances.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm all for a sign but it should be the right sign. How about the regular "No ____ allowed" sign but instead of an imagine of a gun why not an image of a robber in prison stripes with a bag of loot in his hands? Guns allowed crooks not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles07 View Post
    The term "educational facility" is nebulous in IN:

My facility is Agricultural Class 1, Private, as far as zoning is concerned. It is a for profit institution that is not supported by any level of government.

From what I understand, I may relieve myself on any portion of the property as long as I do not violate any local ordinances.
    So, looking at Handgunlaw.com, since the school is authorizing carry, it's legal? Right?
    Me, 9/11/13

My $0.02 worth:

You're not running a retail establishment, so I wouldn't be concerned about driving away potential customers.

Dare to be different. If you are truly behind concealed carry to the point of being more than simply passive about it, then post an "affirmative action" sign. If the clientele of your educational facility are the cerebral kind, I'd opt for #2; otherwise, #1.

And here's a similar approach for you (allegedly a bank in NC) -
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My $0.02 worth:

You're not running a retail establishment, so I wouldn't be concerned about driving away potential customers.

Dare to be different. If you are truly behind concealed carry to the point of being more than simply passive about it, then post an "affirmative action" sign. If the clientele of your educational facility are the cerebral kind, I'd opt for #2; otherwise, #1.

Im willing to bet that said bank has never had a armed robbery since that went up...... just saying
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    Im willing to bet that said bank has never had a armed robbery since that went up...... just saying
    Bank's in Texas, has never been robbed since something like 1840
    Me, 9/11/13

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Still illegal in NC for a couple more weeks, FWIW.

I know of two local businesses that have pro carry signs. I like to shop there because of the signs, and have told them so. I can get stuff elsewhere, sometimes even cheaper, but I still shop there to support their stance. One of those is the green notice sign in option #1. I like both, but #1 is a bit more straight forward.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    FWIW in Indiana a school is further defined as a K-12 institution not including collages or trade schools.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    My first choice would be option #3. If you do want some visible signage, the I'd go with option #1. It tells lawful carriers they are welcome, and anyone who is anti will get a warm fuzzy, while continuing in their state of denial.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links