Liberty Universisty to allow Conceal Carry !!!!!!!

Liberty Universisty to allow Conceal Carry !!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Liberty Universisty to allow Conceal Carry !!!!!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My opinion is good for them. It is a step in the right direction. I hope more schools follow. God Bless Liberty University reverses policy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Liberty Universisty to allow Conceal Carry !!!!!!!

Thumbs up Liberty Universisty to allow Conceal Carry !!!!!!!

My opinion is good for them. It is a step in the right direction. I hope more schools follow. God Bless

Liberty University reverses policy on concealed weapons - wdbj7.com

Tim Saunders

Lynchburg Newsroom Chief

10:53 a.m. EST, November 16, 2011
    LYNCHBURG, Va.—
    At Liberty University you see plenty of students with cell phones and backpacks, but no guns.

That could soon change, as LU relaxes its ban on concealed weapons.

"The more we looked at it, the more sense it made," said Liberty University Chancellor Jerry Falwell, Jr.

LU's Board of Trustees voted last week to allow concealed weapons on school property. Until now students, faculty, and everyone else have been leaving their guns at the LU Police Department.

The new policy allows anyone with a concealed carry permit to have their legal firearm on campus.

"It adds to the security and safety of the campus, and it's a good thing," Falwell said.

The change won't allow students to carry a gun inside school buildings, including dorms, classrooms, and even the football stadium.

But others will have that privilege. A handful of faculty and staff members will be designated by LU Police to have weapons indoors.

"If something, God forbid, ever happened like what took place at Virginia Tech, there would be more than just our police officers now who could deal with it," said Falwell.

Falwell says the new policy has wide support from students.

"For girls or gentleman who feel uncomfortable around campus at dark times, they have a sense of security knowing that if they need to protect themselves they have that available," said Nathan Skaggs, a Liberty University Freshman.

Many we spoke with like the idea, but some do have concerns.

"You always have that one crazy person," said LU Sophomore Judah Murray. "But as long as we are wise about how we issue the permits, I believe that it could be a very good thing."

Students have been asking for a change to LU's concealed carry ban since 2008.

Falwell says LU Board of Trustees considered allowing anyone with a concealed carry permit to bring a gun inside school facilities. Ultimately the board felt that change wasn't appropriate.

This is great news. LU is one of the Universities my daughter is interested in going to!!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Good news for Liberty. No place better than a Christian campus as well, since there is such an assualt on Christian beliefs these days.
    RMS, msgt/ret, Flasher and 1 others like this.

The change won't allow students to carry a gun inside school buildings, including dorms, classrooms, and even the football stadium.

What's left?
    RoadKill and Chad Rogers like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

This is a perfect situation, dirtbags attempting harm will still get shot...but there could also be someone right there to pray for the departed soul.

Go Liberty...
    Blue Thunder and msgt/ret like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's a step in the right direction, but if you can carry on campus, but not in a building, how do you make the transition? Do they have to leave the firearm in their car while in class? If so, then they are unprotected walking in those dark places at the end of the day. Also, it seems to me that having to arm, disarm, re-arm during the day increases the possibility of accidental/negligent discharge and theft. It is safer to follow a "what goes in the holster stays in the holster" policy. This is a compromise for those on the LU Board who "feel" this is the best thing, but don't have the experience to know that the halfway permission is more dangerous than just letting people with permits carry anywhere on campus.

At present there are over 40 campuses in the U.S. that allow full concealed carry and not one of them has ever had a problem. The primary side effect is that campus crime has significantly decreased - especially sexual assaults.

About a year before the Virginia Tech shooting, the Virginia Tech administration rejected a proposal to allow concealed carry on campus. The said they rejected it so the students would feel safe. In retrospect, feeling safe and being safe are two very different things. Unfortunately these days, decisions are made based on feelings instead of facts.

VIP Member
    That's awesome!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Seems like a hollow gesture to me, a check into the history of campus shootings reveals that most occured indoors, the place the rules do not allow CC. Not much help.
    Bullet1234 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    At least it replaces a total ban on campus. I already forwarded the link to the administration of the private Christian university I am a faculty member at, because our students are prohibited on campus as well. (not faculty!!)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post

What's left?
    Umm, so where do they put their firearms when the go to their dorms at night to sleep? Can they protect themselves in their dorms? Do cars now become the storage facility? Nutrodoc, good question about transition.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Wait, so you can carry your gun around campus... but not into any of the places on campus you would be going to or from? What's the point of that?

As an aside, I wonder what Hillsdale College's policy is. They are, without a doubt, the most conservative college of which I know...
    Hakkaa päälle!

What's left?
    My question exactly. where are you leaving from and going to on campus when you feel unsafe OUTDOORS?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

What's left?
    It's a test to see who actually read the article and not just the headline....

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Good news for Liberty. No place better than a Christian campus as well, since there is such an assualt on Christian beliefs these days.
    Thank you for saying what I didn't. Good work!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrodoc View Post
    It's a step in the right direction, but if you can carry on campus, but not in a building, how do you make the transition? Do they have to leave the firearm in their car while in class? If so, then they are unprotected walking in those dark places at the end of the day. Also, it seems to me that having to arm, disarm, re-arm during the day increases the possibility of accidental/negligent discharge and theft. It is safer to follow a "what goes in the holster stays in the holster" policy. This is a compromise for those on the LU Board who "feel" this is the best thing, but don't have the experience to know that the halfway permission is more dangerous than just letting people with permits carry anywhere on campus.

At present there are over 40 campuses in the U.S. that allow full concealed carry and not one of them has ever had a problem. The primary side effect is that campus crime has significantly decreased - especially sexual assaults.

About a year before the Virginia Tech shooting, the Virginia Tech administration rejected a proposal to allow concealed carry on campus. The said they rejected it so the students would feel safe. In retrospect, feeling safe and being safe are two very different things. Unfortunately these days, decisions are made based on feelings instead of facts.
    Excellent post. Wherever citizens are not denied their 2A rights, violent crime seems to be reduced. Look what happened in Australia when they banned gun ownership - violent crime went through the roof (AUSTRALIA GUN BAN RESULTS). In one state, homicides with firearms up 300%.

I guess that feeling safe and being safe are two very different things indeed!
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links