Does it Freak you out too?

This is a discussion on Does it Freak you out too? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was a bit apprehensive of not having a safety when i switched carry from a Colt .45 to a Ruger LCP, but once I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Does it Freak you out too?

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I was a bit apprehensive of not having a safety when i switched carry from a Colt .45 to a Ruger LCP, but once I got it and understood the mechanism I know it can only be fired by a long trigger pull. Since I have a pocket holster that covers the trigger and don't put anything else in that pocket, no worries. It won't be fired by magic or static electricity.
    I understand your concerns. Last night I present the 6 year-old grandbrat a rubber band gun i made, she is learning to pay attention to where it is pointed while loading and carrying. Start safety habits young.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    One thing I could probably never get over being very uncomfortable about is using one of those IWB front-carry "kangaroo pouches" because there's just some things I'd rather not think about having the muzzle of a pistol pointed at 24/7 regardless of how safe the pistol was.

Even with the hammer down, I'd still be wondering if walking through a very intense RF field could possibly ignite a primer like it can a dynamite cap, I'd have to stop scratching myself when bored, and what about going to the restroom and triggering the wrong weapon
    Nope, and the RF field necessary to ignite a dynamite cap was hundreds of time stronger than anything you would naturally come across. 30 or 40 years ago there were some types of blasting caps that were susceptible to extremely strong RF fields. Not so today.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

No offense, but this is almost as bad as not wanting to carry in a shoulder holster because it will sweep people behind you.

If you aren't fiddling with the gun, it won't go off. That simple.
    Majorlk likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

That can be an issue for some people. I also don't like it. That said, I have made peace with myself in this way. Most of my guns are double or triple safe. . meaning two or three actions are needed to fire.

i.e. My revolver or P32 in the pocket need to have the trigger removed from the holster and then pulled to fire. My 1911 in a shoulder holster needs the thumb break opened, the gun drawn, the safety off, a solid grip and then the trigger pulled to fire. My XD needs a solid grip, draw from holster and then trigger pulled.

I think it is key we look at actions required to fire when thinking about "safety." A Glock in a soft holster, on a table, etc is not so safe to me as it needs 1 action to fire. This is also what makes it dangerous to holster a Glock.

Ever see the Serpa. . .oh I shot myself video on youtube. Some people need all the safety they can get!

Do you freak out when you get behind the wheel?

Because you are many, many, many, many times more likely to kill somebody that way than with a holstered, saftied gun going off in your pocket.

Follow the four rules, and the rules that aren't part of the four rules (keep it holstered. etc) and you will be fine.

Forget those damn pocket holsters unless you have a "pocket" gun ! Also Uncle Mikes IWB and Pocket Holsters are the worst ! Go with a good OWB holster like a speed scabbard or even a good IWB that has the straps that hook to your belt. I wasa never comfy with In-the-pants holsters so I opt for outside, strongside hip carry. I wear long shirts so it's not a problem. Pocket holsters wwas the worst Idea they could have came up with for guns larger than pocket size ! The gun sticks out and always feels like it's going to fall out ! Call me old fashioned but I'll stick to standard carry. Checkout Brigade Holsters, they have awesome IWB carry holsters that even someone like me would consider. They aren't cheap, but when it comes to holsters, you get what you pay for ! Also, check out a good Kydex holster like NTAC or Armodillo ?
    They make custom, made to order holsters the way you want them. Any style, cant, color, thickness, rails, lights, open end, closed end, ninla style, everything !
    They ride high, close to the body, and hug your hip. No matter what size the gun, no one will know your carrying !!
    jem102 likes this.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

This'll surely start a firestorm response, but I'll comment that the OP has a valid concern.

Anything made by man can fail. Think about the sear/disconnect mechanics and how little metal is holding back the firing assembly on a striker-fired gun.

The 4 rules of gun safety don't just apply "sometimes". If you knowlingly allow your muzzle to point towards an individual, even in a 'foolproof' holster covering the trigger, you are negligent.

As mentioned by a previous poster, I feel the same way about cocked-n-locked 1911 in horizontal-carry shouler holsters - - I hate walking behind those individuals.

The OP needs to rethink his carry options. If his spidey senses tell him that something is making him uncomfortable, he should listen to his instincts.

To those who posted, "dont worry about it - nothing's going to happen if you don't pull the trigger": would you feel totally at ease with a gun in a good holster being pointed at you, your wife, or your child? I bet not.

Flame away.

Then everyone should carry a paperweight instead of a loaded gun.
    ironmike86, Harryball and TN_Mike like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Nix
    Muzzle awareness is always a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    As mentioned by a previous poster, I feel the same way about cocked-n-locked 1911 in horizontal-carry shouler holsters - - I hate walking behind those individuals.
    Please list the number of occurrences of people being shot by 1911s in horizontal shoulder holsters while walking behind the carrier - especially when no one is handling the pistol. I'll save you the research - none!
    TN_Mike likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Not at all, I pocket carried that gun every day for 6 months with full confidence before I decided I could do just as well with a good IWB 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Please list the number of occurrences of people being shot by 1911s in horizontal shoulder holsters while walking behind the carrier - especially when no one is handling the pistol. I'll save you the research - none!
    No issues - I agree with you 100%. Never heard of an AD/ND. With my luck, tho, I'd be the 1st. I'd still get the shivers looking down the barrel of any gun, whether there is a finger near the trigger, or not.

But if the holster is concealed, you never see the end of the barrel. <g>

Can we stop feeding the paranoia that a holstered gun can/might "go off"?
    msgt/ret and TN_Mike like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Nope. It's in a holster and no one is fidgeting with it.
    It's not the gun that's dangerous. It's dingo in possession of it.

Good Luck. Sam.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links