I was wondering.....

This is a discussion on I was wondering..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While reviewing P95Carry's sticky entitled " First Time Carry-a good start " I got to wondering how...um... old some people were when they first got ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I was wondering.....

I was wondering.....

While reviewing P95Carry's sticky entitled "First Time Carry-a good start" I got to wondering how...um...old some people were when they first got a CCW permit and started carrying. Would this make a good poll or survey if it hasn't been done before? Please excuse me if this isn't the best way to format such a question; the kids aren't home to help me navigate forums right at the moment!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I " officaly " started carrying concealed when I went into LE at age 22, We wont discuss any " unofficial " activitys that I may or may not have done even tho the statute of limitations would be long expired lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - 'tis himself here LOL!

OK - first off - I am ex Brit, now a US Citizen (and darned proud of it) - but all my firearms ''career'' up to losing all my handguns in '97 was without any option to (legally) carry. I left 'that UK place' - in 2000.

Once I had been here long enough to get my Perm Res card - and so DL, SSN etc - I started rebuilding my gun collection - and priority was CCW.

So start of 2002 (at age 56) I got my permit. First carry was a snub M85. I at last felt more complete being able to do this legally.

It was not a great leap in a firearms sense as I had owned and shot about everything anyways for the previous 20 and more years - well longer actually but handguns was about 20 years. So really the only change was what we all need to do - take on board the extreme responsibility and learn to be avoiding hassles and keeping alert. (Lerts are free with a CCW )

My wife despite not being greatly into guns has her CCW now (age 47) and also earlier this year my step daughter too. I have applied training to both.

We have other members here ''starting late'' - I will leave them to speak for themselves.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I will start carrying shortly after my 21sy birthday. I will send my chl packet in 1 month before my 21st birthday and turn around time recently is almost 90 days. So hopefully in November to December. Hey maybe I'll be one of the lucky few who get theirs back in a week or so. I won't hold my breath.

Started carrying in 1985 at 21 yrs old, could have got it at 18 but I joined the Army at 17 so I waited until I was discharged.

RH

Thanks for your candor, Chris. But nobody has to give themselves up. Maybe they know of some "late starters" as well and can pass some info along--wink, wink,nudge, nudge....

Age 54...

was when I started CCW. I had just moved from Michigan to the Gunshine State...Michigan did not give out permits very often, when I left...the law was changed (to a shall issue state) a year or two after I moved.
    Florida, however, has many advantages over lots of the states, prohibited places are not too bad, and the castle doctrine law is a very good thing.

ret

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I received a Beretta 92FS for my 53rd birthday in August of last year (actually, my wife contributed half, and I put in the other) to start my interest in shooting. I subsequently purchased a Glock 19, a Glock 26, a Kel-tec P11 (now sold), and a SA 45XD. I took the CCW course in December, and filed my paperwork for Nevada, Utah, and Florida in February. I've been carrying since the Nevada permit arrived in May.

VIP Member
    Starting carry concealed when I became an LEO at 34.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

JD
    Administrator
    I started shooting with my father (then a Policeman and a member of the dept. pistol team) at age 5, being a Michigan native and the son of a Policeman guns were always around either for duty, protection, hunting or just plinking, I joined was in the Marine Corps for 5 years where my love of shooting got me 3 Expert Rifle Awards. Soon after discharge at the age of 23 I applied for my PA. CCW permit and have been carrying for the last three years.
    Last edited by JD; August 14th, 2006 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spell check before you post...one day it will sink in...

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I turned 52 in May and received my CHL in July 2006
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I will be 37 when my CCH arrives in January.

I have been shooting since I think I was around five or six. My grand father was very into bird hunting and whatever he was into I was into. I got to clean the birds!!!!

But pretty much grew up shooting and hunting quail and pheasnt with my dad and grand pa. Seem's like it's a natural thing for me that I just always did.

I got my permit last year at age 34. CCW passed in 2004 but many counties sheriff's resisted the idea and held out until they were forced to issue them after law suites were filed and they were basicly ordered to issue them. It's a long story but well worth the effort, I think it was actively worked on for better than 9 years before CCW was actually passed in Missouri in 2004.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

As an LEO, at the tender age of 22. My first CCW weapon was my service revolver, a blue 4" S&W .38 something. I honestly don't remember. Didn't have it long before I was issued the standard stainless 4" S&W .357.

That was a long time ago.

RJ
    Sometimes there's Justice
    Sometimes there's Just Us

25, just got it last month. =O)

Cheers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links