How Acting Confident Can Save The Day - Page 2

How Acting Confident Can Save The Day

This is a discussion on How Acting Confident Can Save The Day within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Anubis Agreed. Confidence is what we feel when we don't fully understand a situation. Sounds like quite a confident remark....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How Acting Confident Can Save The Day

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Agreed. Confidence is what we feel when we don't fully understand a situation.
    Sounds like quite a confident remark.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Walleye, I applaud you for taking the initiative. You were likely the key factor that kept a bad situation from getting worse. You've already identified in your original post where you tactics could have been better, but none of us can consistently hit the ball out of the park in the heat of the moment. You pulled off the event by breaking the idiot's OODA loop with your confidence, but I would never recommend this tactic as a best practice.

I'm glad you've picked up a firearm now. Hopefully training will go with that (not to imply that you don't know what you're doing - we all need training). Stay safe.
    Yep I have to agree, this is a last resort type of technique. If you have no option to retreat, or cannot due to a moral obligation to intervene than pulling a Clint Eastwood may be an option. I would still prefer to have a backup plan such as a good hand to hand skills, which unfortunatly I do not, or oc spray or a knife or gun. There may be times though than a display of such force may actually tip the agressor over the edge. There have been other post that mention not "looking like a victum" as being a way to prevent being a victum. Also by acting calm and confident you did break the agressors OODA loop. He didn;t know what to make of your confidence. He wasn't sure why you were not scared of him and that made him think maybe there was a reason he should be scared of you.

Good job, but definatly a technique that could fail, so it's best to have a plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Yep I have to agree, this is a last resort type of technique. If you have no option to retreat, or cannot due to a moral obligation to intervene than pulling a Clint Eastwood may be an option. I would still prefer to have a backup plan such as a good hand to hand skills, which unfortunatly I do not, or oc spray or a knife or gun. There may be times though than a display of such force may actually tip the agressor over the edge. There have been other post that mention not "looking like a victum" as being a way to prevent being a victum. Also by acting calm and confident you did break the agressors OODA loop. He didn;t know what to make of your confidence. He wasn't sure why you were not scared of him and that made him think maybe there was a reason he should be scared of you.

Good job, but definatly a technique that could fail, so it's best to have a plan B.
    Right, I would not like to have repeat performances nightly of this event.

In lesser than emergency situations, I think some display of an attitude of capability and a seeming ordinariness in your reaction to the people around you, can often help if on a bad street or something like that. Maybe a bit of rush like you're late for something. You tend to blend in more for "the guys" standing around - you accept them as not needing any special reaction from you - and they do the same towards you.
    -"Just some guys standing around chatting".........
    -"Just some guy walking by"..................

No problem.

my experience anyway, and one I've frequently seen in large cities..........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links