Story about armed WA judge makes news

This is a discussion on Story about armed WA judge makes news within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Clark Co. judge’s carry decision makes news, but why? This week’s revelation by the Vancouver Columbian that a Clark County Superior Court judge has decided ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Story about armed WA judge makes news

Story about armed WA judge makes news

Clark Co. judge’s carry decision makes news, but why?

This week’s revelation by the Vancouver Columbian that a Clark County Superior Court judge has decided to carry a defensive firearm nearly everywhere but the courtroom has stirred considerable public interest.

Clark Co. judge

2. Remove Ads

Smart man, not just depending on a LEO to protect him.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

I find it annoying that this is considered 'public interest' and wonder how the judge feels about being outed if he's actually on guard for a potential retaliation.

Nicely written tho Dave.
    Charles07 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I find it annoying that this is considered 'public interest' and wonder how the judge feels about being outed if he's actually on guard for a potential retaliation.

Nicely written tho Dave.
    The public doesn't always have a right to know!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

The only thing I found questionable about the story is the judge's choice of a minor caliber in light of the threats he's received, but at least he's carrying.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    That the newspaper would make something of this is curious, almost as though this is very rare. Truth be known, quite a few members of the bench carry firearms, often into the courtroom — depending upon the jurisdiction — and nobody is the wiser.
    I really don't see where this is news at all.

I agree with Smitty, if he's going to bother to carry then why limit himself with such a small round? I'm not saying that there's not a time and place for the .380 but if I'm bumping my alert system up a level, then I'm most likely going to carry a service round; at least 9mm & and above.

VIP Member
    As a judge, inside the courtroom is one of the places I would definitely want to carry, if legal to do so.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It is hard for me to imagine, given the nature of the profession, any judge not carrying a self defense weapon. Mark me among those who don't see this as a particularly newsworthy, or surprising item.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I can't imagine ANY judge NOT carrying. It would be like unarmed soldiers at the front lines. Way too many enemies to go out without some sort of protection in these times.
    Hopyard likes this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

So just because he took a handgun course, we should trust him in a court room, with a loaded gun?

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    So just because he took a handgun course, we should trust him in a court room, with a loaded gun?
    Yes just as we trust each other
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Sorry, I guess the humor didn’t quite show through

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Sorry, I guess the humor didn’t quite show through
    OK got it now. You had me worried tho. LOL

Well, his choice of calibers is his business. It might be the only handgun he owns at the moment, and it also miht just be that he packs a small pistol to keep it inconspicuous. Now, the .380 ACP has ruined more than one day for bad guys, especially if the shooter knows how to use it.

Now, as for this being a news story, I'm a little mixed about that, but it appears the judge was willing to talk. Letting the world know you're packing is a proven deterrent to violence. I'd never second-guess the judge for this, because the knowledge, or at least the suspicion, among bad guys has spared others from unpleasantness.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Well, his choice of calibers is his business. It might be the only handgun he owns at the moment, and it also miht just be that he packs a small pistol to keep it inconspicuous. Now, the .380 ACP has ruined more than one day for bad guys, especially if the shooter knows how to use it.

Now, as for this being a news story, I'm a little mixed about that, but it appears the judge was willing to talk. Letting the world know you're packing is a proven deterrent to violence. I'd never second-guess the judge for this, because the knowledge, or at least the suspicion, among bad guys has spared others from unpleasantness.
    Letting others know was a BIG mistake IMHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links