Magazine Carry Position: Bullets Forward or Rearward?

This is a discussion on Magazine Carry Position: Bullets Forward or Rearward? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks good DRM! Thx for the pics, and the idea of printing re double mag carrier....

View Poll Results: Which way do you carry your magazine?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bullets facing forward

130 69.15%
  • Bullets facing rearward

33 17.55%
  • Other

10 5.32%
  • Don't Carry a Spare Magazine

15 7.98%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Magazine Carry Position: Bullets Forward or Rearward?

Looks good DRM! Thx for the pics, and the idea of printing re double mag carrier.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Does this even need a poll? Sorry, to me this ranks with "which way do you point the gun?"
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sponsor

Lightbulb

ALL the Top IDPA Shooters position their mags this way, as do the majority.

Duty rigs aside, there is NO faster was to draw a mag and reload from concealment, this is an established fact.

Shooting techniques are quite measurable, that’s why we have electronic timers and scoring rings on the target. Likewise, things like holster/mag holder position and even gun design can be tested as well.

Stay safe,

D.R. Middlebrooks
    Tactical Shooting Academy - Home
    Last edited by DRM; November 20th, 2011 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Does this even need a poll? Sorry, to me this ranks with "which way do you point the gun?"
    Well, 20% of the respondents have not chosen the bullets forward option. So I think for some newer people, it could be a valuable poll to see. That way they don't reinforce bad habits.
    Penhall and tts like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The problem with a question like this is there is no right answer. It delends on the mission and priorities of the user.
    I carry my mag pouch on the right front of my belt. Bullets facing rear. It is actually right in front of my holster which is on the right at 3 o'clock.

I do this to mirror my duty rig set up. I carry all non lethal weapons on the left side, so that as I walk up on a situation, I can have my hand on my weapon, or on an intermediate level weapon without having to switch hands. Many situations change quickly.

Of course I have to reach across my body slightly to get the mag, but it's really no slower or inconvenient.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well, 20% of the respondents have not chosen the bullets forward option. So I think for some newer people, it could be a valuable poll to see. That way they don't reinforce bad habits.
    Then find a local guy with reasonably good credentials/reputation who does pistol instruction and learn from him.

Or buy a Tactical Response DVD...or Mag-Pul...or watch Paul Gomez's videos on You-Tube...

This reliance on an internet forum for basic instruction is...blech.

Seriously. Go train. If you can't do that, seek vetted instructional material.

Very helpful topic! I've tried both ways in IDPA practice and thought that the main thing was to always do it the same way consistently. This was really educational. Thanks!
    tts likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Then find a local guy with reasonably good credentials/reputation who does pistol instruction and learn from him.

Or buy a Tactical Response DVD...or Mag-Pul...or watch Paul Gomez's videos on You-Tube...

I do go train, I also think I am past the "new to firearms stage"

But I also can see for how people new to firearms, the cost issue can be prohibitive to this. They just slapped down cash on the gun, ammo, mags, holster, belt. And then you need to add training too. I agree that my life is valuable, but that is a lot of up front costs.

So if they at least get the basic idea that bullets should be carried forward for free on here before they take a class, that is okay with me.
    ksholder, Penhall, JDE101 and 1 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I do go train, I also think I am past the "new to firearms stage"

But I also can see for how people new to firearms, the cost issue can be prohibitive to this. They just slapped down cash on the gun, ammo, mags, holster, belt. And then you need to add training too. I agree that my life is valuable, but that is a lot of up front costs.

So if they at least get the basic idea that bullets should be carried forward for free on here before they take a class, that is okay with me.
    I am with Buckeye.45 here. I have taken a couple of professional training classes in the last year. The outlay for the classes, travel and ammo was over $2,300. I am blessed and can afford this training, but not all people who want to protect themselves can. I have several friends that would have loved to go to either of these classes, but when they heard the cost - even if I ate the travel costs - simply could not fit the expense in their budgets. A couple of them are saving in hopes to do the class in the next year or two.

One of the purposes of a forum such as DC is to share the knowledge. True, book knowledge is not a substitute for training and practice, but it may be all some can afford, at least in the short run. I agree that, if at all possible, people should take advanced training to be better prepared for a, hopefully, non-existant event. However, if it came to feeding the kids or getting the training - well immediate predictable harm (starving the family) would take precedence over preparation for an unknown future, possibly never harm (training).
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    At 15+1, why would it really matter?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Fair question. Let's say you get off a couple of shots and your mag jams for whatever reason. You have not solved your perp problem. A tap-rack drill does not fix it. Now what? I have had this happen in training and it took a good bit of time and effort to fix the mag. If that were to happen in a gun fight, you now came to the gun fight with a wierd looking hammer. I always carry at least 1 spare mag.
    TN_Mike and tts like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

For casual carry, 15+1 rds probably wouldn't matter. But as the risk level goes up, some of us want more mags.

FWIW: We had our neighborhood convenience store robbed by 8 armed thugs.

Do the math, that's 2 rounds each if you don't miss. I don't know about you, but I think I'd REALLY want to reload my gun as fast as possible.

D.R. Middlebrooks
    Tactical Shooting Academy - Home
    tts likes this.

I was trained bullets forward so that's what I have always done.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

the best way to carry ...........whatever works best for You, main thing is to carry the same way in the same place everytime.
    9MMare likes this.
    . Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Because the most likely cause of your autoloading pistol failing to fire is a problem with, or relating to, the magazine.
    tts likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links