Magazine Carry Position: Bullets Forward or Rearward?

This is a discussion on Magazine Carry Position: Bullets Forward or Rearward? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry them with the tips forward, but I draw a mag as described above. For folks who draw a mag differently (why? I dunno) ...

View Poll Results: Which way do you carry your magazine?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bullets facing forward

131 69.31%
  • Bullets facing rearward

33 17.46%
  • Other

10 5.29%
  • Don't Carry a Spare Magazine

15 7.94%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Magazine Carry Position: Bullets Forward or Rearward?

I carry them with the tips forward, but I draw a mag as described above. For folks who draw a mag differently (why? I dunno) it may be faster to go with them backward. Rob Pincus taught me this at a Combat Focus Shooting class, and he was right. It's not for me, but it may be for someone. Dif'rent (draw) strokes for dif'rent folks.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Fair question. Let's say you get off a couple of shots and your mag jams for whatever reason. You have not solved your perp problem. A tap-rack drill does not fix it. Now what? I have had this happen in training and it took a good bit of time and effort to fix the mag. If that were to happen in a gun fight, you now came to the gun fight with a wierd looking hammer. I always carry at least 1 spare mag.
    Sorry, I did not mean to imply I don't carry extra mags. I simply meant that, except for the unlikely malfunction, re-loading probably is a non-issue. I happen to carry mine rearward, simply because pulling them out and inserting them is a more natural motion for me than forward carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Sorry, I did not mean to imply I don't carry extra mags. I simply meant that, except for the unlikely malfunction, re-loading probably is a non-issue. I happen to carry mine rearward, simply because pulling them out and inserting them is a more natural motion for me than forward carry.
    Someone may have already said this, but this is one of those cases where there is no right or wrong way; it's whatever works best for that particular person.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Sponsor

Unbelievable...

Its like what Yogi Berra said,

Hey, if people dont want to go to the ball game, whos gonna stop em?

D.R. Middlebrooks
    Tactical Shooting Academy - Home

I voted for bullets facing forward because when I ordered my mag holder that's the way it was made. I agree that this method works well but I can see that it would be possible to have a mag holder made to carry bullets facing rearward and with proper technique and training learn to do a reload just as fast.
    The whole point is practice how you carry.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I voted for bullets facing forward because when I ordered my mag holder that's the way it was made. I agree that this method works well but I can see that it would be possible to have a mag holder made to carry bullets facing rearward and with proper technique and training learn to do a reload just as fast.
    The whole point is practice how you carry.
    That implies their is no right way - or, to say it differently, their is no better way.

Their are methods which have been tested in competition and in job environments in which the use of arms is required, and for those areas, it's not an issue of "This is the way I do it, so I'm just gonna do it because I like it better or I wanna be different..."

It's an issue of winning or loosing.

It's an issue of people trying things out, seeing if they work better on the clock - literally, on the timer - to decide if it's a better method or not.

The average untrained person can lob about 4 rounds a second at a target. Will they hit it? Duno, but 4 RPS is 4 RPS...all engraved "To whom it may consern" on the bullet.

If something can take time off your shooting, it's gonna take time away from the š (It's Russian, and it's DIRTY...) shooting at you.

Practicing a sub optimal method only gets you a well practiced sub optimal method.

If someone is so emotionally invested in doing it the way they want to over the best way, good on them.

I hope it works out for them.

Reminds me of all the people who want to carry a different gun or use different sights than most of "the herd." Not because something they evaluated and found to be better...

Because they want to be distinctive.

You know...the guy who wants to have something other than a Glock/SIG/M&P/H&K/1911(that works...) equipped with XS/Warren/Trijicon/Heinie/Hackthorn/Ameriglo sights...not because he's faster or shoots better with his toy than any of those, but because "Everyone carries that. I wanna be special."

You wanna be special, or you wanna win?
    SamF, OD*, OPFOR and 2 others like this.

Sponsor
    I voted for bullets facing forward because when I ordered my mag holder that's the way it was made.
    Yeah, and do you know why Gangsta’s hold their gun sideways? Because that’s the way it comes out of the box.

I agree that this method works well but I can see that it would be possible to have a mag holder made to carry bullets facing rearward and with proper technique and training learn to do a reload just as fast.
    The key word here is "proper" technique. I coach National & World Champion Shooters and I'm ALWAYS looking for a better way to shoot. So, let me know when you find it.
    Last edited by DRM; November 21st, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Ah. Yabits.

What is a yabit?

Someone who, when talking to a subject matter expert, 'agrees' with him, then starts his argument with "Yeah, but..."

DRM, your shooting ability and that of your students isn't worth anything to Yabits.

They know you've worked hard and put in the time to develop it, and have had your success...but you are blind because of it, and refuse to see that their are other, just as successful ways, and if only you'd open your mind, you'd see that their idea can be just as good as yours.

Kinda like telling a Professional Heavy Weight boxer about how Aikido is just as effective as what he practices, and if he'd be willing to give it a opportunity to try it, it would change his mind, but he's too blind by years of rendering other people unconcious or terminally stupid with left hooks and uppercuts that can take people's head off to see.
    DRM and JDE101 like this.

I voted forward. That's the way I learned and it works for me. Haven't seen a better way yet.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

badbrochure.jpg

This is all a moot point.

H&K pistols don't care how you insert the ammo.

H&K feed reliability > All other guns.

FACT.

Bullets forward here. Never even thought of carrying with them facing the other way, didn't make sense to me.

Looking at the results of the poll, I am dismayed to see we still have members here who do not carry a spare mag. It seems that they don't understand that the primary reason to carry a spare mag isn't so you will have a reload in case of a protracted gun fight as those rarely happen to civilians, but to have a second mag in case of a mag failure, which is the most common type of failure for modern semi-auto handguns.
    wmhawth and tts like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Well I voted "other", because the rounds in my mag while I'm carrying point off to the side (to the right), rather than forward. If I carried the mag at 9:00 they would point forward, but I like it around 11:00 where it complements my G26 at 1:30. At any rate, I carry it like that so when I pull the mag, it is in exactly the right orientation for inserting into the G26.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Bullets facing forward. As mentioned, because it's properly oriented for quicker pistol reloads.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Well I voted "other", because the rounds in my mag while I'm carrying point off to the side (to the right), rather than forward. If I carried the mag at 9:00 they would point forward, but I like it around 11:00 where it complements my G26 at 1:30. At any rate, I carry it like that so when I pull the mag, it is in exactly the right orientation for inserting into the G26.
    Good point. "Towards the center line of the body" is perhaps a better descriptor than "forward."

My favorite is still one senior agent in my organization who carries his one facing forward, one facing backward (in a double mag pouch). I admit is makes for a very elegant design statement, as the angled floor plates mirror each other and make a pretty "peaked roof" motiff, but as a practical consideration the man is a buffoon. The worst of all possible worlds.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Ah. Yabits.

What is a yabit?

Someone who, when talking to a subject matter expert, 'agrees' with him, then starts his argument with "Yeah, but..."

DRM, your shooting ability and that of your students isn't worth anything to Yabits.

They know you've worked hard and put in the time to develop it, and have had your success...but you are blind because of it, and refuse to see that their are other, just as successful ways, and if only you'd open your mind, you'd see that their idea can be just as good as yours.

Kinda like telling a Professional Heavy Weight boxer about how Aikido is just as effective as what he practices, and if he'd be willing to give it a opportunity to try it, it would change his mind, but he's too blind by years of rendering other people unconcious or terminally stupid with left hooks and uppercuts that can take people's head off to see.
    Yabit that's why MMA got popular. More ways to take a persons head off than just upper cuts :)
    DRM likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links