Bring extra mags or not? - Page 2

Bring extra mags or not?

This is a discussion on Bring extra mags or not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I'm leaving my property for any length of time, I'll thread my single mag carrier on my belt. If I just need to run ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bring extra mags or not?

If I'm leaving my property for any length of time, I'll thread my single mag carrier on my belt. If I just need to run a fast errand to town I'll throw a spare magazine in my weak side pocket and call it good. I find magazine pouches poking and uncomfortable when driving.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I carry a spare mag OWB only. I sometimes carry my pistol IWB, and 1 IWB item is my limit.

With a hi cap, I rarely carry a spare mag. With a 1911 or revolver I do.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

If I don't carry a spare mag, I at least have a ny reload.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    The only time I don't carry at least two extra mags is when I am on my bicycle, when I only carry one.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Yes. All the time.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Always- no matter what I'm carrying- at least one spare.

I carry a spare mag in my left pocket, and I stabilize it with my iPhone, as the case I use on the iPhone doesn't allow it to move.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nope. My 10-12 rounds is to get me out of a fight, not keep me in it. If I run out, I run out. Then again, lightning may strike me before i do.
    glockman10mm and MadMac like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nope. My 10-12 rounds is to get me out of a fight, not keep me in it. If I run out, I run out. Then again, lightning may strike me before i do.
    Exactly. I don't plan on missing, so if I need the whole mag and a reload, I'm in over my head, and it's gonna take more than just me to dig out of it.
    flybye43 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My first priority would go to carrying a secondary handgun. Then, if clothing allows, spare mags. If I had to choose between a secondary or a spare mag for my primary, I'd rather carry a secondary.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You can only hide so much under shorts and a T, and my belly and G30 (or 6906 or 4566) pretty much takes up that space. Now if only I was 18 again...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    On days when at work I don't carry a spare magazine. Too many other things on my belt or in my pockets. If I'm not working I carry 1 spare magazine.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What's most important is that regardless of the gun you carry, you ALWAYS carry spare ammo. For wheelgunners it's a matter of quantity; for pistol shooters the extra mag is a reliability concern, since magazine problems are behind the majority of feeding and functioning issues. Beyond that, carrying in a proper pouch is a good idea, although I personally find IWB mag holders uncomfortable.
    AZ Hawk and Majorlk like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If the question is about carry of spare magazines the answer is always yes.

(unless you're swimming)
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links