Bring extra mags or not?

This is a discussion on Bring extra mags or not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One thing that has me going back and forth is whether to purchase a IWB mag holder for everyday activities. What are your thoughts? There ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bring extra mags or not?

Bring extra mags or not?

One thing that has me going back and forth is whether to purchase a IWB mag holder for everyday activities. What are your thoughts? There is already a forum on how to face your mags in the holster, but I would like to know if it's common for your day to day routine.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

2. Remove Ads

Yes...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

My answer would be yes. Id rather have them and not need them, then to need them and not have them. Never know what situation you might be in
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I carry an extra mag for my G27 in my left pocket (I'm right handed). I already have a system using my DL/ID card holder in the same pocket to help stabilize the mag. This system works best with jeans as they fit a little tighter than slacks.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I always have at least one extra magazine

VIP Member
    You can't shoot what you don't have. Most likely, you will not need the spare mag or the rounds in it, but if you do ...
    Katana likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Always. Doesn't matter which gun, I always carry a spare mag. The magazine is the weak link in a pistol. A spare can get you up and running instead of struggling when you need it A.S.A.P.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Question Everything!

If I don't carry a spare mag (weak side back pocket), then I've got a wheelie onboard somewhere. I was sailing with friends today on Tampa Bay (shorts and t-shirts---Florida winter, man). These are all people I know very well, and the subject of CC came up. I kept my mouth shut and listened to them talk and offer their opinions on how hard it would be to conceal a "normal" handgun in "normal" dress. Finally, my one friend that knows I CC asks my opinion as a permit holder. My opinion? "Try it sometime". I lift my shirt to show my G23, and then produce my 442 from pocket carry. "No way you can hide a gun from anyone". I made my point. Sorry to hijack....
    zonker1986 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    My answer would be yes. Id rather have them and not need them, then to need them and not have them. Never know what situation you might be in
    Ditto. In addition, in the case of a magazine malfunction it is far faster to dump the malfunctioning magazine and replace it than to diagnose and clear the problem. I carry two.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

sgb
    I always have two spare mags.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Makes sense. I had been leaning towards doing so. Now would putting it in your pocket be a good idea? Could there be a risk of lint over time causing it to jam while feeding? I supose that one could disassemble the mag and clean it ever once in a while.

Or do most of you use a IWB holster on your belt?

Pardon any spelling errors for I am sending this from my phone.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

I don't carry anything IWB. All my stuff is OWB. Yes I carry spares. I find IWB uncomfortable.
    Semper Fi

Me personally ill either have them in my shoulder rig, or owb on my belt. As i am always in a jacket zip up hoodie, i will rarely not have those and when i dont i go pocket, but it truly is whats comfortable with you and personal preferences
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Now would putting it in your pocket be a good idea? Could there be a risk of lint over time causing it to jam while feeding? I supose that one could disassemble the mag and clean it ever once in a while.
    I carry two for my PT-140 in my weak-side rear pocket. If one turns their pants pockets inside out when the pants are washed the lint buildup is pretty much eliminated. I shoot what's in the magazines every couple of months and just use compressed air to blow them out. NOT wet lubricating magazines cuts down on lint collection. The only lube I ever use is a little dry graphite applied to the sides of the follower.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

AOK
    I carry two mags weak side OWB holster 95% of the time. On the rare occasion I will not wear the mag holster then I drop one in my weaks side front pockets with my BUG. I think the biggest things you have to worry about when carry in the pocket is the mag shifting around and you will have a hard time trying to find it and as well as properly index it. Since I have it along side my BUG mine doesn't shift around and it is still oriented with bullets forward. The other thing you would need to worry about (and it's my biggest worry) is being able to access the spare mag if your weak hand/arm is injured. In regards to pocket lint, I have seen zero evidence that a little lint will cause any kind of malfunction.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links