Flying and Declaring handgun in your checked bag - Page 3

Flying and Declaring handgun in your checked bag

This is a discussion on Flying and Declaring handgun in your checked bag within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ^ Also, another good idea is to field strip your gun. If your safe contains a bunch of metal bits and pieces, it'll look less ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Flying and Declaring handgun in your checked bag

^ Also, another good idea is to field strip your gun. If your safe contains a bunch of metal bits and pieces, it'll look less like a gun, and look much more unloaded. The way I look at it...anything to make the inspection quicker.

Different airlines have different rules on the number of firearms per case up to a maximum Check the web site I know AA only allows 2 IIRC.

I spoke to a TSA supervisor and he told me in no uncertain terms that airline and TSA employees are not to touch firearms. LE is to be notified should it be necessary

This is both TSA and airline policy as told to me.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you never had a problem in your travels because the states you visited do not have the draconian gun laws like NY has. you are permitted to possess a gun in all those states, no permit necessary as long as you don't carry concealed on your person. You really should learn the laws if you are going to post here.
    as for your letter it isn't worth the paper it is written on.
    I live in NY. Maybe you can correctly me on which law i am mistaken on. Have you even bother to read the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I live in NY. Maybe you can correctly me on which law i am mistaken on. Have you even bother to read the letter.
    are you really this dense? those of us who do not have NY permits cannot possess a gun in NY, I'll say it again, your letter is not worth the paper it is printed on.
    DirkD likes this.

I used to do a lot of business travel and flew often with a couple of pistols in checked baggage. Usually went OK but had problems with check-in agents coming back from Los Angeles. First agent told me I had to take the guns up to the concourse security check-point (where you go through metal detectors on your way to the gate). Told her, "No thanks, don't feel like spending my day with the FBI."
    Next agent said I had to open the case and demonstrate that the guns were unloaded. Told him that regulations (at the time) required me to DECLARE them as unloaded. Not good enough; he had to SEE THEM. "You want me to uncase these guns right here?” “Yes,” he said. “Gotta be at least 100 people standing right behind me who will see it." He checked out the crowd. “Well, let’s move to the end of the counter.”
    Took the locked pistol case out of my luggage, opened it, asked “Now what?” “Show me that they’re empty.” “OK. Sure. Just wondering, what is behind you?” “Whaddaya mean?” he asks. “I sincerely believe these guns to be unloaded. But in the interest of safety, is there something that will stop a bullet if the worst happens?” “Never mind that! Just show me!” I lock the slide open on the 9mm S&W, and set it down. He looks at me. I look at him. “Are you trained to inspect the condition of a firearm?” I asked. He says, “No.” “What should I do with the second gun?” “Awww, never mind that. I believe you,” he says.
    I wrote a letter to the Station Chief, Los Angeles International Airport to express my concern that personnel needed training on this. It took 2 months, but I got a very nice reply regarding their upcoming plans to train airlines staff.
    DirkD likes this.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links