A Reminder: GUN SAFETY! - Death In My Area

This is a discussion on A Reminder: GUN SAFETY! - Death In My Area within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Horrible reminder of Gun Safety today. Yesterday, first day of "hunting with rifle" season here, a young man, but 18 yrs old, lost his life. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paramedic70002

Thread: A Reminder: GUN SAFETY! - Death In My Area

Horrible reminder of Gun Safety today. Yesterday, first day of "hunting with rifle" season here, a young man, but 18 yrs old, lost his life.

Apparently, he and his friend got a deer and were dragging it away, they stopped to rest, and the young man placed his rifle against a tree or log - authorities are still investigating, including exactly where gun was placed. But wherever, it fell and discharged into his face.

The friend called 911 on his cell but apparently did know exactly where they were and Medical and Police had to search for 20 min. to find and transport victim. But it was too late. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Guns I always liken to cars. In and of themselves they are not dangerous. But in use, their safety is only as good as the user's safety.

I'm going to try and remember this poor young man every time I handle a gun if I can. It will reinforce MY job - my FIRST job: to always practice safety. That is the initial way I can Defend myself and those around me. If I don't do that, I may never have a need for the rest...........

I never knew him, but I wish the young man's family - who is reported to be in a very bad state, his friends, and especially the friend who witnessed this and who will have it with him all his life: eventual peace. I don't know how they can bear it.

Prayers for all involved. It only takes one bad decision!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Prayers to the family. 1/2 second to put the safety back on and he'd be bragging about the deer now.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Heard more than my share of these hunting tragedies. Such a sad--but avoidable--loss.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well, I HOPE it was an accident but gun falling and firing into face, with another present, sounds suspicious.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I also question a rifle falling and discharging in someones face.
    Semper Fi

Always remember, accidents with firearms tend to have very bad outcomes. When handling firearms safety is priority #1, you snooze you lose !! Too bad for the young man, his life ended to soon. Very Sad
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

It's hard to picture exactly how it happened, but assuming it happened as stated, I guess there is a reason why those hunting safety classes tell you to never "lean" a rifle anywhere, even if you do make the already questionable decision to put it down with a round in the chamber. Sometimes I hate to dissect incidents like this, out of respect for the dead, but hopefully anyone involved would see a positive in other people trying to make sure it never happens to them or others.

We had an incident during shotgun deer season. A father shot in the chest and the son wounded, presumably by the same slug (we have to hunt with shotguns here). The incident is still under investigation, and how sad.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Had what could have been a bad situation a few years ago with a muzzle loader not fireing,I shot it but nothing happened I stood still and kept my gun aimed at the target for what seemed like for ever and finally it did fire either the patch had oil on it or there was some left in the firing chamber that caused the powerd to be delayed.I can only imagine what would have happened if I didnt know better then to just set it down.Id never look down a barrel of a gun.

Sounds to ma if the gun discharged with the safety on,there will be a lawsuit against the firearms company,even if it discharged with the safety off unless the trigger was pulled it shouldn't have discharged,there will definitely be an intense investigation launched looking at bullet trajectory,witness statements,and any gun issues
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I hate to hear accedents like this, Would/Should be Easly avoided.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sounds to ma if the gun discharged with the safety on,there will be a lawsuit against the firearms company,even if it discharged with the safety off unless the trigger was pulled it shouldn't have discharged,there will definitely be an intense investigation launched looking at bullet trajectory,witness statements,and any gun issues
    Yes, this just happened - so the investigation is starting.

Links