Traveling from FL to TX have a few questions

This is a discussion on Traveling from FL to TX have a few questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so I am driving from FL to TX. From the route I think I will be taking looks like I am going through Alabama,Mississippi,Louisiana ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling from FL to TX have a few questions

Traveling from FL to TX have a few questions

OK so I am driving from FL to TX. From the route I think I will be taking looks like I am going through Alabama,Mississippi,Louisiana and Texas. I may be staying in any of these states for hotel and the like. I have already checked and all are good with reciprocating. I would like to know about a few things. Pocket folder I usually carry, can I carry it in any or all of these states? If not can I have it in vehicle till I get back to FL state line? Also FL is very good with being able to carry in restaurants and other places. Does anyone know about any or all of the states listed if I need to watch where I carry? Also any other tips besides the usual watch your six? Thanks
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30SF View Post
    OK so I am driving from FL to TX. From the route I think I will be taking looks like I am going through Alabama,Mississippi,Louisiana and Texas. I may be staying in any of these states for hotel and the like. I have already checked and all are good with reciprocating. I would like to know about a few things. Pocket folder I usually carry, can I carry it in any or all of these states? If not can I have it in vehicle till I get back to FL state line? Also FL is very good with being able to carry in restaurants and other places. Does anyone know about any or all of the states listed if I need to watch where I carry? Also any other tips besides the usual watch your six? Thanks
    Not sure what a "Pocket Folder" is. As for restaurant carry here in TX, it is typically not a problem. Obviously if it is posted with a 51% sign or a 30.06 sign, then you can't carry. But those are very rare. In fact, I'm not familiar with any restaurant in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area that is posted like that. If you see one, just pick another place to eat. Most of the eating establishments are posted with a sign saying something to the effect of "The unlicensed possession of a handgun is prohibited" blah blah. Those signs are not a concern, obviously.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Are you asking about knife laws?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Not sure what a "Pocket Folder" is. As for restaurant carry here in TX, it is typically not a problem. Obviously if it is posted with a 51% sign or a 30.06 sign, then you can't carry. But those are very rare. In fact, I'm not familiar with any restaurant in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area that is posted like that. If you see one, just pick another place to eat. Most of the eating establishments are posted with a sign saying something to the effect of "The unlicensed possession of a handgun is prohibited" blah blah. Those signs are not a concern, obviously.
    Good to know. Going to be in Houston and Dallas.

Pocket folder would probably be my SOG Aegis Technical Details
    Fast one-hand opening SOG Assisted Technology (SAT) with built in blade safety lock
    3-1/2-Inch black TiNi coated straight edge AUS8 stainless steel blade
    Rugged Digi Camo Zytel handle with rubber inserts
    Low carry reversible bayonet pocket clip
    Overall length: 8.25-inches, Weight: 3.1 ounces
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

***?....lost me after "SOG Aegis Technical Details Fast one-hand opening"....still not sure what is a "pocket folder". I am curious now. Can you please provide a picture? I'm not trying to be a smart ass.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

yes, he's most likely asking about knife laws. Here's his carry SOG Aegis Black Drop Point Folder Knife w/Zytel Handle
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Ok. Wow, I had no clue. Thanks boricua.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Pocket folder I usually carry, can I carry it in any or all of these states?
    Regarding Texas, the legal blade length limit is a whopping 5.5 inches. You can carry it concealed anywhere in Texas except San Antonio, which has a peculiar ordinance prohibiting any folder with a blade that can be locked open.

The 51% has to be in red which means they derive 51% or more of sales from onsite alcohol consumption. Pretty much avoid dedicated bars

Handgunlaw.us has all the info you will need.
    I would make sure you know if a state you are in is a must inform or not. some states prohibit carrying where alcohol is served.
    go to the site, visit the page for each state you'll be in and learn their laws and you'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Are you asking about knife laws?
    Was asking about any restrictions of CC in the states listed. ALSO was asking about carrying a knife beacause some states only allow a pistol to be carried. Thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

In Louisiana you are good with your knife. A pocket knife is not considered a weapon in Louisiana unless used as such. Automatic knives are prohibited except for LEO.

VIP Member
    Was asking about any restrictions of CC in the states listed. ALSO was asking about carrying a knife beacause some states only allow a pistol to be carried. Thanks
    Got it. I don't think you'll find the answers you are seeking on handgunlaw.com as that deals with handguns. Knife laws are not necessarily covered by the same laws as handguns; that is, Florida is a tad unusual if not unique in issuing a concealed weapons license as opposed to a concealed handgun license. In TX, it is a CHL. Then, there are a whole bunch of laws regulating what knife may or may not be carried. And, to complicate things, there is no state preemption so cities can have their own knife laws too.

Sorry, but I've no clue what they do in the other states you'll go through on the way here.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Handgunlaw has knife regs. Just keep scrolling down.
    Semper Fi

Just be advised that knife laws vary not only from state to state but can vary from city to city within that state.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links