I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle) - Page 2

I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle)

This is a discussion on I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally posted by APachon Here is a pic of my of daily driver.... I have driven threw some bad parts of Vegas and with the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle)

DC Founder
    Originally posted by APachon
    Here is a pic of my of daily driver.... I have driven threw some bad parts of Vegas and with the tint being as dark as it is, many of the corner fodder have not made a move towards me.
    I love tinted windows. Would you pull any BS with a vehicle like that where you couldn\'t tell whether PeeWee Herman or the Las Vegas PD SWAT team were inside?

On an additional side note, I am looking to find feedback on this rig by Andrews Leather. It is called the Carjacker Crossdraw.
    I always thought that holster looked like it would work well if you could get it on the lap belt portion of a seatbelt. Nice looking rig.

I carry my Sig P232 in a organizer thing while driving. Its either stuck in between the console and seat, or just sitting on my lap. I always keep one side of the organzier unzipped so that i can just reach my hand inside and grab the gun out if need be.

Another reason i choose this method over say..the cross draw method, is because in the event that someone peeks into my car, or i have someone ride with me, they would never know that there is a gun sitting right on my lap and they would never question my organzier.

This is simply my car gun by the way. I always have my regular gun with me in my tuckable IWB holster. When i get out of the car, i leave this organzer IN the center console, under the seat...etc. Anywhere out of plain sight. And yes, my windows are tinted too.

Bumper, with the Diesel Motor, they (BG) can here me coming a mile away...

~A

Originally posted by Bumper
    Here is a pic of my of daily driver.... I have driven threw some bad parts of Vegas and with the tint being as dark as it is, many of the corner fodder have not made a move towards me.
    I love tinted windows. Would you pull any BS with a vehicle like that where you couldn\'t tell whether PeeWee Herman or the Las Vegas PD SWAT team were inside?

On an additional side note, I am looking to find feedback on this rig by Andrews Leather. It is called the Carjacker Crossdraw.
    I always thought that holster looked like it would work well if you could get it on the lap belt portion of a seatbelt. Nice looking rig.

I did a lot of driving today (several relatives needed visiting this Christmas) and my shoulder holster worked well. In fact, I just realized I still have it on. It has been on for about 15 hours now and is completely comfortable... no one noticed... hard to beat as far as I am concerned.

http://www.desantisholster.com/11d.html

this question doesnt normally apply to me, since i dont have a car. but the last couple months i had been housesitting for friends and using their vehicle.

my usual daily carry holster (rafters gunleather iwb) at 3 oclock is functional while driving, and the belt doesnt get in the way. helps if i swing the coattails of my jacket away and lift my cover shirt over the holster.

Logistasr, I tried a smilar shoulder rig but my body and the rig did not mate well. I wear a 56 jacket and a 34-36 waist pants so the rig was ungodly tight across the back/shoudlers.

Felt like a I had on a figure 8 for a clavicle fracture. Not fun. Plus it tended to pull my carry piece to far back. Did not feel like it would work well in a pinch. Thank you for the suggestion.

I have close to 15 inches of drop between the width of shoudlers and waist so I can almost conceal a SPas-12 on my hip if I wanted (JK). but I can hide a Para-SSP with a Power 10 Mag with no printing whatsoever.

~A

Originally posted by logistar
    I did a lot of driving today (several relatives needed visiting this Christmas) and my shoulder holster worked well. In fact, I just realized I still have it on. It has been on for about 15 hours now and is completely comfortable... no one noticed... hard to beat as far as I am concerned.

http://www.desantisholster.com/11d.html

Crossdraw

Hume JIT used for S&W296 or Commander/BHP. More often 296 carried in RR 5.11 Vest crossdraw.

Remember, leave yourself room to drive out of situations. IMO, you should always be able to see the footprint (where his rear tires contact the pavement) of the car in front of you when stopped.

Dear APachon,
    I look at that picture and as you pull the gun out of the holster I see your finger on the trigger, and the gun appears to be pointed at the family jewels.
    I was always taught to not touch the trigger unless you\'re ready to shoot? I\'m not sure how this stops a carjacking. :O

Hask those are pics from Andrews Leather\'s website. I know better, but good catch on proper weapon handling :kay:

~A

Originally posted by Hask12
    Dear APachon,
    I look at that picture and as you pull the gun out of the holster I see your finger on the trigger, and the gun appears to be pointed at the family jewels.
    I was always taught to not touch the trigger unless you\'re ready to shoot? I\'m not sure how this stops a carjacking. :O

DC Founder
    I think you could get it out of the holster without putting your finger on the trigger without any problem. Being a little overly protective of \"my buddy\" I can see the concern over that issue. If you practice that carry alot so you immediately bring up the muzzle when you clear the leather, it might not be a bad way to carry. The problem I see in it is I would not want to carry that way so every time you got out of the car I would have to change my carry method. And I don\'t want to do that.

For carrying while driving long distances I may go to a shoulder holster; short distances the muzzle pressure on my hip is no big deal. At least for me.

In Ohio, one can legally carry the weapon in a \"locked glove compartment\". I often do just that, because I wear my 1911 in a Pancho Villa holster if I am in a hurry out the door. I just drop it in the van\'s glove compt that is on the back of the engine console. It is quicker and easier to get it out of the console than any holster rig I have ever owned.

Besides that, . . . you can either drive or you can shoot, . . . you can\'t do both. My glove compt allows me to let a passenger get the weapon if necessary without putting the grab on me.

Check your state laws, though, you need to know what is legal and what is not.

May God bless,
    Dwight

I carry in a smartcarry holster. The smartcarrys only drawback I have found is when wearing it in the conventional manner (deep concealment) itís difficult to draw from in a seated position esp. a car or truck. When Iím heading to the city Iíll bring the holster up to my beltline so that the butt of my revolver is just above my belt. Iíve also had shoulder straps made that allows me to attach the smartcarry across my lower chest. Then, all I have to do is leave a button open on my shirt, which gives me plenty of room to draw the gun.

As I live in Ohio also and we have the Plain Sight added to our CCW law, I have tried to find the best carry style for me. Sometimes I carry IWB at 2:00 and when driving I pull it around to about 1:00. Because it\'s colder weather now I carry OWB at the 4:00 and put pistol in a cheap clip holster at the 1:00 when driving. It\'s a pain in the butt to do but it\'s our law until changed (soon I hope).
    I also checked out the Carjacker Rig and might get one to replace the clip holster for car carry.

I drive a Chevy truck and keep a dedicated \'car gun'in the middle console. I generally also keep a long gun under the back seat of the crew cab, it amazes me how many times I get off work early and just happen to go to the woods:D

I have a \'dedicated'Ruger P89 that always stays in the center console. I don\'t take very many long trips, so I while driving I have my main carry weapon IWB normally. I\'ve also found a P3AT fits nicely in the sunglass holder of my Ford SuperDuty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links