I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle) - Page 3

I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle)

This is a discussion on I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I generally carry the same in or out. If I can\'t, or need to remove it though, I ususally use a cheap uncle mikes tucked ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle)

I generally carry the same in or out. If I can\'t, or need to remove it though, I ususally use a cheap uncle mikes tucked strong side between the seat and the console.

NM allows any carry in the vehicle with or withoiur permit as it is an \"extension\" of your home or eminent domain.

I drive a fairly extensively modified 98 Jeep Cherokee, so I am normally above most other cars and also tinted, although limited to 20% transmission

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I tend to choose large vehicles. Preferably with body on frame construction. (i.e. Crown Victoria, fullsize trucks etc etc.) I like these vehicles for a number of reasons. Among those are:

#1 I am not a small person and the extra room is comfy and practical to carry people/packages etc.

#2 I used to run a wrecker service, and I quickly learned that large doesnt equal indestructable, but most of the time the heavier vehicle doesnt have near the blood in it that the tiny ones do. In other words, even if the vehicle is totaled the rapid deceleration on your body is much less than that of the guy in the little car that hit you. For example If a 2000lb car going 50mph hits a 5000lb suv going the same speed head on, the passengers of the 2000lb car will decelerate at something like 2.5 times faster than the occupants of the suv. (not accounting for crumple zones etc) In other words heavier vehicles are safer in the event of an impact with another vehicle.
    (makes for some interesting physics problems)

#3 a bigger vehicle usually has a bigger motor and while it might not be as fast or maneuverable as a smaller car, you have a better chance of using brute force to get out of a bad situation.

As for carry, when I am driving in Ky I often pop my gun into a whole in my wooden center console. Even with the lid open you cant see it in there from outside the vehicle, but it is within easy reach.

Amen Good Samaritan. I wholey concur.

~A

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan
    I tend to choose large vehicles. Preferably with body on frame construction. (i.e. Crown Victoria, fullsize trucks etc etc.) I like these vehicles for a number of reasons. Among those are:

#1 I am not a small person and the extra room is comfy and practical to carry people/packages etc.

#2 I used to run a wrecker service, and I quickly learned that large doesnt equal indestructable, but most of the time the heavier vehicle doesnt have near the blood in it that the tiny ones do. In other words, even if the vehicle is totaled the rapid deceleration on your body is much less than that of the guy in the little car that hit you. For example If a 2000lb car going 50mph hits a 5000lb suv going the same speed head on, the passengers of the 2000lb car will decelerate at something like 2.5 times faster than the occupants of the suv. (not accounting for crumple zones etc) In other words heavier vehicles are safer in the event of an impact with another vehicle.
    (makes for some interesting physics problems)

#3 a bigger vehicle usually has a bigger motor and while it might not be as fast or maneuverable as a smaller car, you have a better chance of using brute force to get out of a bad situation.

As for carry, when I am driving in Ky I often pop my gun into a whole in my wooden center console. Even with the lid open you cant see it in there from outside the vehicle, but it is within easy reach.

in my work van i have a car holster that sticks to the side of my doghouse...in the family vehicle it stays on my iwb holster...but sometimes when i travel thru the wonderful downtown st. louis i leave it on the seat next to me..

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Apachon, I think I like you already. :D

I have a dedicated car gun which is kept in a SafePacker holster that is strapped to the center pull-down arm rest of the seat in my reg. cab pickup. Fold the armrest down and it is right there, flip it up and it\'s invisible. The SafePacker discreetly holds the gun and spare ammo (mag. or speedloaders). I like the holster to be secured to something, never liked just carrying it on or under the seat. I was always afraid it would go flying around should I have to quickly stop or maneuver. If you\'re looking for on-body carry while driving look at the F.I.S.T. #42 \'Driving to Crossdraw'model. I think Ross Leather also makes a pretty nice driving/crossdraw holster. Should I decide to carry in that mode I think I would prefer the gun to ride a close to horizontal as I can get w/o dropping the butt of the gun down too far.

Hang in there, you\'ll eventually find the method and equipment that is right for you. Unfortunately you\'ll also probably go through a drawer full of holsters and lots of cash before you do. Many of us have.

I drive a 98 S-10 4x4 extended cab. There is a small amount of room between the bottom of the dashboard and the center console (tape deck). I bought a utility pouch at WalMart for about $10 and velcro\'d it to the top of the console just under the dash. It works great for me....easy to reach quickly, and you can store about 4 mags in the bag as well....I carry a Kimber Eclipse .45 .....I\'ve attached a picture...pardon my dirty truck!

I\'ve known Sam Andrews personally for about 15 years. I have, lessee, FIVE of his holsters, and find them to be not only the HIGHEST quality work, but innovative as well. His IPSC Saddle Holster makes for a lightning fast draw.:kay:

If I am carrying 3 or 4 o\'clock IWB then I leave it there while driving. If I am carrying IWB right in the front, then I take the SIG out and have it on the seat next to me, just under the outside of my right thigh.

Not only is it uncomfortable to leave it IWB when carrying right in the front under my stomach, but since the seatbelt is right on it I worry that I would have a hard time drawing it AND that in a wreck the seatbelt would cram it into my stomach/intestinal area full force and possibly rupture something or fracture my pelvis!

I carry the same all the time, strong side IWB. However, I\'m keeping my eye out for a kydex crossdraw paddle holster that will adjust for a radical tilt just for an in-the-car option. The seat belt would give me a problem right now.

Often I\'ll stick my gun in my shoulder bag which sits next to me in the seat.

living in the great state of ohio whick requires on body open carry,i carry my sig 239 at 3:00 in a soft unkle mikes holster. hopefully this yearohio will eliminate this requirement so we can carry concealed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links