I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle)

This is a discussion on I have a silly question (carrying in a vehicle) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering how everyone carries in their car. Do you carry in your normal carry holster, do you have a \"vehicle holster\" or do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HighFever

I was wondering how everyone carries in their car. Do you carry in your normal carry holster, do you have a \"vehicle holster\" or do you carry it in a more unconventional way?

The real silly question is what kind of car do you drive and does it have any effect on carrying concealed? Are there any cars that you feel would consider safer than others in the event of some type of road rage type scenario? I am considering trading cars and was just wondering since you guys seem pretty knowledgeable on carrying concealed and all. I think this is a really cool forum and I hope to learn a lot from it. I don\'t have my CCW yet but am hoping to one of these days real soon. Hopefully I won\'t make a pain of myself, I have a lot of questions.

Normal carry method for me - I don\'t change for driving. However, I have yet to carry on a long trip. Some people think that a shoulder holster is best for extended driving. Ankle holsters don\'t appeal to me at all, but they would offer decent access while seated in a car.

I recently purchased a new (for me) vehicle, and carry was one of the many factors I considered [I doubt that many people would change cars because they have started to carry, but if you\'re shopping anyway...] I went with an extended cab 4WD pickup. While I\'m not a \"survivalist,\" I\'d like to be able to get around in lousy conditions, drive over a curb if I need to, etc. Also, with every soccer mom driving an SUV, you almost need a larger vehicle to \"compete.\" Some things I considered once I had decided on the type of vehicle were glove compartment and console space, room under the seats to mount a lock box, and avoiding the highly contoured bucket seats that wrap around you, restricting access to a belt holster.

Happy shopping!

SSKC

I practiced accessing from my normal holster while driving. Plus, a paddle rig allows me to shift it forward, easing acess. Milt Sparks makes a holster called The Driver, which sits sideways crossdraw, exclusively for seated people, no safety strap.

I carry the same as normal, I drive a lot during the day, in and out of truck all day. Carry with Milt Sparks VM-II, no problems at all.

DC Founder
    I carry the same in and out of the car, but not by choice. I would like to have some \"hideyholes\" sometimes to drop my carry gun in to get it out of my pants on long drives. Unfortunately, my vehicle doesn\'t have very good \"places\" available in it.

I drive a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee since I also like the ability to go off road if need be. It is also fairly fast (I have the V8) and tinted windows keep out prying eyes. When you leave the car and want to shove something under the seat, however, you can\'t. Computers and such packed under both front seats. I usually hide my gun under the back seat when I can\'t carry it with me somewhere. If I am in a questionable area I lock it up with a Kimber gun lock attached to the rear cargo tiedowns and throw a coat over it.

Welcome to the forum and don\'t worry about silly questions. We have all been where you are today, at least I have never heard of anyone being born with a concealed weapon :P

Actually I took my 1911 with me to the showroom. (It was already with me) I told the mnanger it was coming out of hiding and proceeded to examine all the places to conceal or not. They were very understanding and I\'m sure it helped in the negotiations. :o It was not the sole reason for my truck purchase but I\'ve never had a better truck for open and concealed carry.

Being left handed i either leave it normal carry if im using owb...

If i have something else on than owb center console with Sub compact Xd and for fullsize Hk i keep a towel or lite coat handy to cover it on the seat and kind of stick it so hopefully if im rear ended it wont get thrown to the Floor

VIP Member
    For me it depends on how I\'m carrying. If I cannot keep it on me (always my first preference), then I utilize one or more of the following options in the vehicle.

Center Console (Pickup truck so it\'s a large area)
    Between the seat and console
    Door pocket (least favorite except when fueling)
    Ice scraper with mitt, slide it inside. It\'s out of sight, but you can put that mitt anywhere you would like.
    On the passenger seat under a newspaper or in a paper sack on the passenger seat or behind the passenger seat where I can reach it.
    In the seat pocket behind the passenger seat, again where I can reach it.
    Tucked under the back seat floor mat or passenger seat floor mat.

Lot\'s of places to hide in a vehicle if you are a little creative. One guy I know keeps one on the dash under all his maps and papers he also keeps up there. I can\'t do it because I can\'t stand the reflection of all that crap on my windshield.:P

It also depends on if I am alone, and if not, who is with me. If I know I\'ll have other shooters with me I\'ll sometimes add a glovebox gun I know they are familiar with in case they don\'t/can\'t bring their own, which sometimes happens as a lot of work places ban carrying around here. So when we go to lunch in my truck we each have a gun.;)

In Ohio the options are as follows:
    In a holster, on your person, which is how I carry.
    In a lockbox, which must be in plain view.
    Or locked in a glove compartment.
    This is for a person owning a CCW License.

One of my most comfortable holsters for car carry is a Galco paddle. Sitting at 3 o\'clock, with my overgarment stuffed behind the handle (its a 1911) it is fully legal in Ohio. My shoulder holster is harder to keep visible for LEO in Ohio, so I only use it if I\'m on my feet a lot. Am looking forward to tomorrow and opening up my Milt Sparks IWB. It should be just the ticket.:yes:
    May God bless,
    Dwight

several...

I have a pocket holster with my .380 and i just put it in my jacket pocket Pretty much that is all the time..

I have a .40 in a Galco paddle that is real comfortable for driving and accessible

Pat

Here is a pic of my of daily driver. I turned a pistol pocket from my range bag into a holster that tucks into and is secured by the center console. I need to snag some pcitures of it, but it does keep a fully loaded p14-45 (heavier 1911) up and graspable (is that even a word, love the after effects of spiked egg-nog) shoudl a situation arise where I need her in a hurry.

I have driven threw some bad parts of Vegas and with the tint being as dark as it is, many of the corner fodder have not made a move towards me. Traffic gets so bad here that is pays to know sidestreets to curtail traffic congestion, but it does take one into bad areas.

~A

On an additional side note, I am looking to find feedback on this rig by Andrews Leather. It is called the Carjacker Crossdraw.

Does anyonehave any of the Andrew\'s Leather products, and if so comments and concerns???

thanks in advance
    ~A

I could not find this holster on Milt\'s webpage. :(:O

Originally posted by armoredman
    I practiced accessing from my normal holster while driving. Plus, a paddle rig allows me to shift it forward, easing acess. Milt Sparks makes a holster called The Driver, which sits sideways crossdraw, exclusively for seated people, no safety strap.

Diz
    Stuff like this takes time to finger out what works best for you. I have been experimenting a little myself and found that a paddle holster, as previously mentioned, works the best for me. I simply shift it a little forward and cant it to miss the seat. CCW is inherently uncomfortable!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links