Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying? - Page 2

Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying?

This is a discussion on Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Read this book FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership Book | Orlando Criminal Defense Lawyer Jon H. Gutmacher Of course this is specific for Florida, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying?

Read this book FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership Book | Orlando Criminal Defense Lawyer Jon H. Gutmacher

Of course this is specific for Florida, but a good idea to locate one for your state..... know the law

Personally, my main problem was figuring out how to carry the gun. At the time I was 21 years old back in 1996 when I got my permit. I had already purchased a Glock 19. By the time I paid for the class and fees I was broke. I saw all of these holsters in the gun store but I couldn't understand how the majority of them were meant to be used. Without seeing them actually in use, they just didn't make sense. I didn't know anyone else at the time who carried so I had nobody to ask for advice. And this was way before the time of digital cameras or youtube, so the internet was of little help.

So upon the (bad) advice of the clerk I ended up getting an Uncle Mike's holster for my Glock. It was like $12. I did work, though. For the first year, I carried it down the front of my pants as it was the only place I could seem to figure out how to make it work. But it was impossible to sit down with it there or it would crush into my abdomen. Then I figured out that I could wear it SOB so I did that for the next year or two. Of course, the holster would literally start coming apart and I'd need to buy another one every 3 or 4 months. It was very awkward to draw from SOB, and nearly impossible to get to if I was sitting down in the car, etc.

It wasn't until a few years after getting my permit that I met some other people who had permits and began to see how other people carried their firearms. Eventually, I began to collect some new holsters and learned how to use them. That changed my entire perception of concealed carry from something that was a pain (in various places) to do, to something that was much more comfortable and natural.

The other thing I learned just a few years ago is that there is no one specific gun that works in every situation. I eventually realized if I wanted to be successful in making sure I always carried every day, every set of clothes, no matter what, that I needed another gun. With the option of a smaller, deep-concealment gun, I was able to finally carry under any circumstance (except swimming) without having to make sacrifices in comfort or clothing options.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
    Read this book FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership Book | Orlando Criminal Defense Lawyer Jon H. Gutmacher

Of course this is specific for Florida, but a good idea to locate one for your state..... know the law
    "The Ohio Guide to Firearms Laws" by Kenneth Hanson, attorney-at-law, and
    "The Handbook of Ohio Firearms Laws" by Sean M. Culley, attorney-at-law

I knew there was way more that I should know, and that is when I hit the net and found this website. The shared wisdom and knowledge available on this site changed me as a person. It changed my outlook, my attitude, and my approach to how I handle myself and situations. My family has noticed the change over the last few years.

I find this to be very true for me also.

Quote Originally Posted by Aduc View Post
    I'm looking to put together a tips/quick reference sheet of sorts for people who are new to getting their concealed carry permit. What are some things you wished you had known early on when you got your permit, or questions that were difficult to find the answers to?

I'm curious, a few days after their concealed carry class, new students probably have questions/concerns they hadn't thought about before. If they don't have a forum such as this, it may be difficult for them to find the answers to some of their questions.
    This is a great idea. I actually have been making notes of a few questions that I would like answered when I take my CPL renewal class in a couple of years. I'll be sure to watch this thread to see what everyone comes up with.

Here are a few I thought of:

Number 1
    This first one is in response to some discussions here, concerning castle doctrine. In certain states a "No Guns Allowed" sign can be ignored, and people say that if they find out you have a gun they can ask you to leave, if you don't then you could be charged with trespass. Michigan says you can use justifiable deadly force "anywhere you have a legalright to be, as part of our castle doctrine, in other words no "duty to retreat".
    Here's the question, by ignoring the request to leave you are comitting a crime (trespass). Suppose the store owner immediatly rushes you and attacks you. If you have to use your gun are you protected by Castle Doctrine?

Number 2

In Michigan it is illegal to carry in your car without a CPL. The MSP consider the car as "concealing" the gun. So can you open carry in a car if you have a CPL?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Things I wish I had known:
    Good holsters usually aren't cheap, and cheap holsters usually aren't good.

A week-end course and $500 makes anybody a certified firearms instructor.
    One person's dream set-up might very well be another's POS.

The guy behind the gun counter might not be the most objective expert.
    Boy there's some wisdom there in bold!

VIP Member
    To be honest, I wish I had known about this website and all the useful information here.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post

Hah, that's funny. We actually sell that book on our website. Great minds think alike, eh?
    I work for a company that offers firearms training in Florida, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin and soon to be Minnesota. Please visit our website below or check us out on http://facebook.com/equip2conceal

www.equip2conceal.com

TCT
    Obtaining a carry permit is just the first step in defending yourself.

One must be prepared legally if you have to use a firearm.

Everyone should be introduced to the armed citizen legal defense network (or a similar group) once they get their permit.

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.

Just to reiterate some of the above:

Expect to pay at least $60-$100 for a decent holster.

You will want at least 1 IWB and 1 OWB per carry weapon. You may get more of either or both.

Expect to pay at least $60-$100 for a quality belt. You may need more than one.

Pay another $30-$50 for a good magazine holder for your belt.

If you have small guns, get a pocket holster for each.

The care and thought you put into your carry rig will be at least as important as the care you put into firearm selection.

Get lots of ammo. Buy it when it's available. Get at least a box every month. Look to stockpile at least 100 rounds of your carry ammo and 1000 rounds of your target ammo.

Practice often. Also work on your FoF, knife, and blunt weapon skills. If you have the time and ability, practice with throwing weapons, too. The more you train, the more likely it is that in a critical situation, you won't freeze up or panic, but you'll have a better chance of doing the right thing.
    lowercase likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Caliber really doesn't matter between 9mm and .45ACP.
    Rent and try as many handguns as you can before buying something.
    Don't train to be the quickest draw in the West. Train to avoid situations where you will need to draw, and then train for a defensive shooting.
    Forget your pre-carry way of dress. Unless It was oversized pants and untucked shirts you will have to change.
    Budget at least $60 for a leather gun belt, or $50 for a Wilderness Tactical nylon belt.
    Dale Fricke kydex holsters are my everyday carry holstes after spending thousands on Del Fatti, Nossar, Sparks et al.
    No one has ever noticed I was carrying, even though for the first year or so I could swear everybody was looking at my hip.
    Appendix Inside The Waist Band is very comfortable and fast.
    Off the body carry in a man bag works wonders when you can't dress in white-man baggy untucked.

VIP Member
    I've learned so much from this discussion board and there is so much good stuff here, a pretty darn good book could be compiled just from taking selective threads and commenting on them.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You can get good holsters for under $60. My Remora is $30 and my most used holster ...at least for now. I have $200 leather holster,hybred type ect...

Quote Originally Posted by Aduc View Post
    I'm looking to put together a tips/quick reference sheet of sorts for people who are new to getting their concealed carry permit. What are some things you wished you had known early on when you got your permit, or questions that were difficult to find the answers to?

I'm curious, a few days after their concealed carry class, new students probably have questions/concerns they hadn't thought about before. If they don't have a forum such as this, it may be difficult for them to find the answers to some of their questions.
    I wish I knew how much real training helped, and how accessible it was to anyone with the motivation to take part in it...

And how much training answers the questions you think you have, and gives you the ability to ask the really important ones.

I had done a lot of "studying" before I even took the class. It was basically just an NRA safety class, I learned nothing there.
    The things I wish I had known then that I know now though are the laws of my state about where I can carry. This was not explained to us, and my state is a little unclear on carrying around alcohol.

I think I have a fair grasp of it now, but in the past I have:

Carried into a post office. Yeah.
    Carried where there was a no guns sign, which my state says is a no no, unknown to me at the time
    Carried in a few places where I was not consuming alcohol, but I might have been breaking the rules by carrying

As far as the science of carrying, I think that is something you have to go through to really understand it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links