Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying?

This is a discussion on Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with Richard Mann (American Handgunner) Quote.."Some instructors like to complicate the concept of self-defense with a handgun. They make the theory of concealed ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying?

I agree with Richard Mann (American Handgunner) Quote.."Some instructors like to complicate the concept of self-defense with a handgun. They make the theory of concealed carry out to be almost as complicated as calculus. Granted, if you're a member of Seal Team Six, you have a lot of skills you must learn. The truth of the matter is though, these gunfighting skills are really not needed in your everyday life...unless you're a SWAT team member or monster hunter. When it comes to everyday survival and basics of personal defense with a firearm, the old axiom KEEP IT SIMPLE applies. After all, all you really want to do is live out your life without interruption from thieves, vagabonds, and creatures of the undead". Common sense and familiarizing yourself with your surrounding area and state laws beats a wild imagination every time. KEEP IT SIMPLE.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Just to reiterate some of the above:

You will want at least 1 IWB and 1 OWB per carry weapon. You may get more of either or both.

If you have small guns, get a pocket holster for each.
    I disagree with the first statment. I do have OWB holsters for both my handguns, but do not use them. I really do not find any advantage. I expected the OWB to be more comfortable, but the ones I have tried are about the same comfort as my IWB and the IWB conceal better, less printing, and less worry about my cover shirt riding up far enough to reveal the tip of the gun barrel.

I do agree that if your pocket carrying it should be a quality holster that is made especially for your gun so you know the gun will not slip out and that the trigger is well protectd. Avoid the generic "fits all small revolvers and semi-autos". I have no problem pocket carrying, but feel it's one of the methods that needs a to be tested and needs particular attention to detail. Make sure nothing else is in the pocket, and make sure not to absentmindedly put your hands in your pockets.

Stay away from mediocre guns, buy quality from the get go.
    Certain guns are hard to get holsters for,
    Don't get involved with "Glamor Ammo". Just because it's sold 20 to a box and has a fancy name doesn't make it any better than the good old fashioned stuff thats sold 50 to a box.
    Full Metal Jacket ammo isn't a bad thing and it beats no ammo at all.
    The price of both guns and ammo was going to get ridiculous, had I known I would have bought more back then instead of now.
    Magnum likes this.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I expected the OWB to be more comfortable, but the ones I have tried are about the same comfort as my IWB and the IWB conceal better, less printing, and less worry about my cover shirt riding up far enough to reveal the tip of the gun barrel.
    IWB does conceal better, but it feels like I've grown a giant tumor on my side. Can't wear one for that reason.

eb
    I wish I had known that someday my hosters would outnumber my guns 3 to 1.

I've learned so much from trying to read through pretty much all of the "defensive scenarios" threads on this site.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    How long a carry belt really lasts, they wear out just like magazines and holsters. How to check all of the above and make sure they will not fail out and about. The sound of a magazine or firearm hitting the ground is a not fun thing to hear in a store.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun4169 View Post
    Stay away from mediocre guns, buy quality from the get go.
    Certain guns are hard to get holsters for,
    Don't get involved with "Glamor Ammo". Just because it's sold 20 to a box and has a fancy name doesn't make it any better than the good old fashioned stuff thats sold 50 to a box.
    Full Metal Jacket ammo isn't a bad thing and it beats no ammo at all.
    The price of both guns and ammo was going to get ridiculous, had I known I would have bought more back then instead of now.
    I'm afraid you still have a lot to be learned, at least about ammo.

The premium ammo, normally sold 20 or 25 to a box, does indeed outperform the stuff sold 50 to a box by a very wide margin. I would urge you to view this guys Youtube channel: tnoutdoors9's Channel - YouTube And you will see some excellent ammo tests done and they show, quite clearly, that the stuff you buy in 50 round boxes isn't really fit for self defense. And as far as full metal jacket goes? Telling someone it is ok to use for self defense is completely unrealistic. FMJ in some calibers (9mm especially) tends to zip right through people and have little to no immediate effect on them. It certainly doesn't take them out of the fight unless a solid head shot is made.
    marcclarke likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Ammo is so important, its like trying to run an indy car on 87 is going to cause problems. Feed them right and it will run, but performance is also critical. FMJ shouldn't be thought of as self defense ammo, .22 mag is one exception to that rule. FMJ is a legal nightmare, so don't use it!
    TN_Mike likes this.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Ammo is so important, its like trying to run an indy car on 87 is going to cause problems. Feed them right and it will run, but performance is also critical. FMJ shouldn't be thought of as self defense ammo, .22 mag is one exception to that rule. FMJ is a legal nightmare, so don't use it!
    FMJ surely could be a legal nightmare. One thing you can do to mitigate possible legal problems is (and I learned this from Massad Ayoob) find out what ammo your local police/sheriffs department issues and use it yourself. In the event, God forbid, you ever have to shoot someone, in court it would be hard for a lawyer to argue that you used ammo that was in some way negligent because you could point to the fact that the police in your town use the same ammo that you used.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Good stuff guys, thanks for the input!
    I work for a company that offers firearms training in Florida, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin and soon to be Minnesota. Please visit our website below or check us out on http://facebook.com/equip2conceal

www.equip2conceal.com

Lots of good info in this thread. I try to cover different carry options ect, during our classes, ammo, holsters, and of course a full understanding of the laws are a must. But one thing that I require during my classes is that they watch this video. This is not a state requirement, it is my personal adjenda.

His name is Lance Thomas and he has some good advice for anyone who arms themselves whether at home or in public.

Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links