Defensive Carry banner

Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying?

5K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  farronwolf 
#1 ·
I'm looking to put together a tips/quick reference sheet of sorts for people who are new to getting their concealed carry permit. What are some things you wished you had known early on when you got your permit, or questions that were difficult to find the answers to?

I'm curious, a few days after their concealed carry class, new students probably have questions/concerns they hadn't thought about before. If they don't have a forum such as this, it may be difficult for them to find the answers to some of their questions.

#2 ·
Knowing about more carry options would have been nice, instead of the standard 'belt holsters for guys, purse holsters for girls' that I witnessed. Luckily I knew there were more options, but to those who only go to local stores it would be valuable information.

I also think it would be wise to mention that a new gun is not always reliable. It frightens me to think how many people bought a new gun, some ammo, then thought they were ready.

It seems some instructors are brand biased, and talk heavily about what they carry instead of keeping it neutral. Discussing various firearm platforms is essential in finding the right carry weapon, a Glock isn't for everyone. :)

I would also recommend that emphasis be given to practice, even if it's only a range trip once every 3 months. I don't think some folks get out enough and go through the paces.

Now, that's just some thoughts I had in general - not my personal wish list. The only thing I can think of that I wish I had know is that it's not always comfortable to carry and that any one holster will probably not work in all situations. Had I known that, I probably would have spent less time finding 'the' perfect holster and spent more time figuring out what my various scenarios are and looking for the perfect holsters for those times.

#3 ·
I have been carring for over 38 years. I got my concealed carry licence when I turned 21. I used to carry my M60 inside the belt holsters and a sholder holster under my dress shirt because I wore a tie. Now that my state, Iowa made it easier for people to get a carry licence. They took the control away from each county sheriff and made it state wide rule. I now carry more frequently and I have found an outside the belt holser the most comfortable. I carry SA & DA revolvers mostly , occasional my 9MM SCCY, and lately my COP Derringer. I have a lot of guns and decided at my old age I wanted to carry some different ones i own.
I carry purly defensive. I am not a cop or hero and will never pretend to be. I have never had to pull my gun in the years i have been carring. I have avoided situations by walking away. I really don't shoot that much. I live and work in a small town low crime area.
I don't play viedo games.
Roger

#4 ·
More information then just in class, and how to get it. If i may suggest, checking out the threads about ccw/personal defense books & dvds... maybe make a list to hand out... goes in depth and will probably answer other queations down the road. And a great pass time too....

#7 ·
As a new carry, I found out quickly how expensive it is to get fairly proficient with my weapon. I wish I had spent more time practicing before getting my licence.

As for after the fact, I'm still not clear on all of the places(fairs, gun shows, sporting events, banks) that are off limits?

How to deal with an unarmed aggressor while you have a weapon? When avoidance is not an option, do you ignore your gun? Do you inform the perp you are armed?

Instructors could give a little heads up on gun sizes and holsters.

#8 ·
Real, accurate information on concealed carry in plain English instead of legal mumbo-jumbo. Things such as: what constitutes concealment in my state? If your weapon prints a bit will you be arrested? If your shirt blows open and your weapon is seen, is it a criminal act or just an "oops".

I can get information on the law as written from SCLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) but much of that seems to leave a lot of room for argument/discussion. I would prefer to see the laws listed with better interpretation. I think this lack of truly understanding the laws is a huge part of why more people do not seek a carry permit and also why many who get one do not carry consistantly.

#10 ·
A long time ago, when my screen name here was PT-111, we had a thread asking much the same thing. I posted a response that P95Carry thought was good enough to be made into a sticky in the reference section. Here is a link to it, give it a look and see what you think.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/reference-how-forum/12176-first-time-carry-good-start.html

I would ad now that the new carry permit holder should seriously consider getting some advanced training. A class that goes over the legalities in their state concerning carry and use of deadly force. And I would really stress that the course should include some good live fire scenario instruction. That kind of training can be invaluable.

#14 ·
I read your original post via the link and it is outstanding. It should be a must read.

I see carrying as having two components. Knowledge and Wisdom. Knowledge I equate to the technical aspects of firearms, shooting, carrying, hardware, holsters, etc. That's informational in nature that should be backed up with practice and experience. Wisdom I equate to the mental, emotional, attitude, frame of mind aspects of the responsibility of carrying, protecting yourself, and avoiding situations at all cost. It is the maturation process of realizing the awesome responsibility you have taken on and having the right frame of mind to be safe and responsible.

I've been shooting for most of my life, so I had a good starting base of technical / safety awareness. When I decided to get my permit, I left the class thinking, "Really? We just spent two evenings in a face-to-face class and all we covered was the anatomy of a handgun and always point it in a safe direction? My Dad taught me that stuff when I was 10." I guess I expected more. That's when I contacted our local DA and he sent me some links to VA laws and Case Law examples. That left me with a thirst for even more.

I knew there was way more that I should know, and that is when I hit the net and found this website. The shared wisdom and knowledge available on this site changed me as a person. It changed my outlook, my attitude, and my approach to how I handle myself and situations. My family has noticed the change over the last few years.

I sometimes encounter new carriers who don't realize all of the things that they don't know. I hope they find a great resource to become grounded in a mature mindset for the responsibility they now have. I encourage them to come to this site and study all of the aspects of carrying and not just the hardware component. Most of us started somewhere similar at some point in our lives, and we had either a good mentor or a sense of needing to know more.

#12 ·
That whatever class the state mandates is not enough class.
Don't spend good money on a gun and get a cheap holster/belt/mag pouch.
Nobody notices you are concealing a gun unless you make a huge wardrobe mistake, and even then hardly anybody will notice anyway.
It's a license to carry concealed, it doesn't make you security guard of the whole world.
Don't do things or go places you wouldn't if you didn't have your gun.
Snubs and pocket .380s are expert's guns, not beginner's guns.
Carry it, don't make excuses not to carry if legal.
Nobody who survived a gunfight ever wished for a smaller gun with less ammo, or, the only time extra ammo is bad is if you're swimming or on fire.
The only time to fight unarmed is if you're naked and the furniture is bolted down.
Memorize your lawyer's number. You won't have your cell phone and contact list in jail. Make sure someone else has his number too.

#13 ·
Things I wish I had known:
Good holsters usually aren't cheap, and cheap holsters usually aren't good.
A week-end course and $500 makes anybody a certified firearms instructor.
One person's dream set-up might very well be another's POS.
The guy behind the gun counter might not be the most objective expert.

#18 ·
"The Ohio Guide to Firearms Laws" by Kenneth Hanson, attorney-at-law, and
"The Handbook of Ohio Firearms Laws" by Sean M. Culley, attorney-at-law

#17 ·
Personally, my main problem was figuring out how to carry the gun. At the time I was 21 years old back in 1996 when I got my permit. I had already purchased a Glock 19. By the time I paid for the class and fees I was broke. I saw all of these holsters in the gun store but I couldn't understand how the majority of them were meant to be used. Without seeing them actually in use, they just didn't make sense. I didn't know anyone else at the time who carried so I had nobody to ask for advice. And this was way before the time of digital cameras or youtube, so the internet was of little help.

So upon the (bad) advice of the clerk I ended up getting an Uncle Mike's holster for my Glock. It was like $12. I did work, though. For the first year, I carried it down the front of my pants as it was the only place I could seem to figure out how to make it work. But it was impossible to sit down with it there or it would crush into my abdomen. Then I figured out that I could wear it SOB so I did that for the next year or two. Of course, the holster would literally start coming apart and I'd need to buy another one every 3 or 4 months. It was very awkward to draw from SOB, and nearly impossible to get to if I was sitting down in the car, etc.

It wasn't until a few years after getting my permit that I met some other people who had permits and began to see how other people carried their firearms. Eventually, I began to collect some new holsters and learned how to use them. That changed my entire perception of concealed carry from something that was a pain (in various places) to do, to something that was much more comfortable and natural.

The other thing I learned just a few years ago is that there is no one specific gun that works in every situation. I eventually realized if I wanted to be successful in making sure I always carried every day, every set of clothes, no matter what, that I needed another gun. With the option of a smaller, deep-concealment gun, I was able to finally carry under any circumstance (except swimming) without having to make sacrifices in comfort or clothing options.

#19 ·
:yup:I knew there was way more that I should know, and that is when I hit the net and found this website. The shared wisdom and knowledge available on this site changed me as a person. It changed my outlook, my attitude, and my approach to how I handle myself and situations. My family has noticed the change over the last few years.

I find this to be very true for me also.

#20 ·
This is a great idea. I actually have been making notes of a few questions that I would like answered when I take my CPL renewal class in a couple of years. I'll be sure to watch this thread to see what everyone comes up with.

Here are a few I thought of:

Number 1
This first one is in response to some discussions here, concerning castle doctrine. In certain states a "No Guns Allowed" sign can be ignored, and people say that if they find out you have a gun they can ask you to leave, if you don't then you could be charged with trespass. Michigan says you can use justifiable deadly force "anywhere you have a legalright to be, as part of our castle doctrine, in other words no "duty to retreat".
Here's the question, by ignoring the request to leave you are comitting a crime (trespass). Suppose the store owner immediatly rushes you and attacks you. If you have to use your gun are you protected by Castle Doctrine?

Number 2

In Michigan it is illegal to carry in your car without a CPL. The MSP consider the car as "concealing" the gun. So can you open carry in a car if you have a CPL?

#25 ·
Just to reiterate some of the above:

Expect to pay at least $60-$100 for a decent holster.

You will want at least 1 IWB and 1 OWB per carry weapon. You may get more of either or both.

Expect to pay at least $60-$100 for a quality belt. You may need more than one.

Pay another $30-$50 for a good magazine holder for your belt.

If you have small guns, get a pocket holster for each.

The care and thought you put into your carry rig will be at least as important as the care you put into firearm selection.

Get lots of ammo. Buy it when it's available. Get at least a box every month. Look to stockpile at least 100 rounds of your carry ammo and 1000 rounds of your target ammo.

Practice often. Also work on your FoF, knife, and blunt weapon skills. If you have the time and ability, practice with throwing weapons, too. The more you train, the more likely it is that in a critical situation, you won't freeze up or panic, but you'll have a better chance of doing the right thing.

#32 ·
Just to reiterate some of the above:

You will want at least 1 IWB and 1 OWB per carry weapon. You may get more of either or both.

If you have small guns, get a pocket holster for each.
I disagree with the first statment. I do have OWB holsters for both my handguns, but do not use them. I really do not find any advantage. I expected the OWB to be more comfortable, but the ones I have tried are about the same comfort as my IWB and the IWB conceal better, less printing, and less worry about my cover shirt riding up far enough to reveal the tip of the gun barrel.

I do agree that if your pocket carrying it should be a quality holster that is made especially for your gun so you know the gun will not slip out and that the trigger is well protectd. Avoid the generic "fits all small revolvers and semi-autos". I have no problem pocket carrying, but feel it's one of the methods that needs a to be tested and needs particular attention to detail. Make sure nothing else is in the pocket, and make sure not to absentmindedly put your hands in your pockets.

#26 ·
Caliber really doesn't matter between 9mm and .45ACP.
Rent and try as many handguns as you can before buying something.
Don't train to be the quickest draw in the West. Train to avoid situations where you will need to draw, and then train for a defensive shooting.
Forget your pre-carry way of dress. Unless It was oversized pants and untucked shirts you will have to change.
Budget at least $60 for a leather gun belt, or $50 for a Wilderness Tactical nylon belt.
Dale Fricke kydex holsters are my everyday carry holstes after spending thousands on Del Fatti, Nossar, Sparks et al.
No one has ever noticed I was carrying, even though for the first year or so I could swear everybody was looking at my hip.
Appendix Inside The Waist Band is very comfortable and fast.
Off the body carry in a man bag works wonders when you can't dress in white-man baggy untucked.

#27 ·
I've learned so much from this discussion board and there is so much good stuff here, a pretty darn good book could be compiled just from taking selective threads and commenting on them.

#29 ·
I wish I knew how much real training helped, and how accessible it was to anyone with the motivation to take part in it...

And how much training answers the questions you think you have, and gives you the ability to ask the really important ones.

#30 ·
I had done a lot of "studying" before I even took the class. It was basically just an NRA safety class, I learned nothing there.
The things I wish I had known then that I know now though are the laws of my state about where I can carry. This was not explained to us, and my state is a little unclear on carrying around alcohol.

I think I have a fair grasp of it now, but in the past I have:

Carried into a post office. Yeah.
Carried where there was a no guns sign, which my state says is a no no, unknown to me at the time
Carried in a few places where I was not consuming alcohol, but I might have been breaking the rules by carrying

As far as the science of carrying, I think that is something you have to go through to really understand it.

#31 ·
I agree with Richard Mann (American Handgunner) Quote.."Some instructors like to complicate the concept of self-defense with a handgun. They make the theory of concealed carry out to be almost as complicated as calculus. Granted, if you're a member of Seal Team Six, you have a lot of skills you must learn. The truth of the matter is though, these gunfighting skills are really not needed in your everyday life...unless you're a SWAT team member or monster hunter. When it comes to everyday survival and basics of personal defense with a firearm, the old axiom KEEP IT SIMPLE applies. After all, all you really want to do is live out your life without interruption from thieves, vagabonds, and creatures of the undead". Common sense and familiarizing yourself with your surrounding area and state laws beats a wild imagination every time. KEEP IT SIMPLE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.