Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying?

This is a discussion on Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to put together a tips/quick reference sheet of sorts for people who are new to getting their concealed carry permit. What are some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Questions you wish you knew when you first started carrying?

I'm looking to put together a tips/quick reference sheet of sorts for people who are new to getting their concealed carry permit. What are some things you wished you had known early on when you got your permit, or questions that were difficult to find the answers to?

I'm curious, a few days after their concealed carry class, new students probably have questions/concerns they hadn't thought about before. If they don't have a forum such as this, it may be difficult for them to find the answers to some of their questions.
    I work for a company that offers firearms training in Florida, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin and soon to be Minnesota. Please visit our website below or check us out on http://facebook.com/equip2conceal

www.equip2conceal.com

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Knowing about more carry options would have been nice, instead of the standard 'belt holsters for guys, purse holsters for girls' that I witnessed. Luckily I knew there were more options, but to those who only go to local stores it would be valuable information.

I also think it would be wise to mention that a new gun is not always reliable. It frightens me to think how many people bought a new gun, some ammo, then thought they were ready.

It seems some instructors are brand biased, and talk heavily about what they carry instead of keeping it neutral. Discussing various firearm platforms is essential in finding the right carry weapon, a Glock isn't for everyone. :)

I would also recommend that emphasis be given to practice, even if it's only a range trip once every 3 months. I don't think some folks get out enough and go through the paces.

Now, that's just some thoughts I had in general - not my personal wish list. The only thing I can think of that I wish I had know is that it's not always comfortable to carry and that any one holster will probably not work in all situations. Had I known that, I probably would have spent less time finding 'the' perfect holster and spent more time figuring out what my various scenarios are and looking for the perfect holsters for those times.

I have been carring for over 38 years. I got my concealed carry licence when I turned 21. I used to carry my M60 inside the belt holsters and a sholder holster under my dress shirt because I wore a tie. Now that my state, Iowa made it easier for people to get a carry licence. They took the control away from each county sheriff and made it state wide rule. I now carry more frequently and I have found an outside the belt holser the most comfortable. I carry SA & DA revolvers mostly , occasional my 9MM SCCY, and lately my COP Derringer. I have a lot of guns and decided at my old age I wanted to carry some different ones i own.
    I carry purly defensive. I am not a cop or hero and will never pretend to be. I have never had to pull my gun in the years i have been carring. I have avoided situations by walking away. I really don't shoot that much. I live and work in a small town low crime area.
    I don't play viedo games.
    Roger

More information then just in class, and how to get it. If i may suggest, checking out the threads about ccw/personal defense books & dvds... maybe make a list to hand out... goes in depth and will probably answer other queations down the road. And a great pass time too....
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Buy quality first instead of cheap 3-4 x before getting what you want in the first place. I don't mean inexpensive. There are good inexpensive things. I mean Cheap garbage like stuff
    Magnum likes this.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Follow up opportunities. That the first gun I saw didn't have to follow me home, and that practice is king. Then how to practice and get better on my own.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

As a new carry, I found out quickly how expensive it is to get fairly proficient with my weapon. I wish I had spent more time practicing before getting my licence.

As for after the fact, I'm still not clear on all of the places(fairs, gun shows, sporting events, banks) that are off limits?

How to deal with an unarmed aggressor while you have a weapon? When avoidance is not an option, do you ignore your gun? Do you inform the perp you are armed?

Instructors could give a little heads up on gun sizes and holsters.

Real, accurate information on concealed carry in plain English instead of legal mumbo-jumbo. Things such as: what constitutes concealment in my state? If your weapon prints a bit will you be arrested? If your shirt blows open and your weapon is seen, is it a criminal act or just an "oops".

I can get information on the law as written from SCLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) but much of that seems to leave a lot of room for argument/discussion. I would prefer to see the laws listed with better interpretation. I think this lack of truly understanding the laws is a huge part of why more people do not seek a carry permit and also why many who get one do not carry consistantly.

1) Avoid
    2) De-escalate
    3) Have layers of options with your firearm being your last resort
    4) Know your state's laws regarding carry and justified use of lethal force. Study Case Law. It isn't as cut and dry as one may think at first.
    Magnum and Idahokid like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

A long time ago, when my screen name here was PT-111, we had a thread asking much the same thing. I posted a response that P95Carry thought was good enough to be made into a sticky in the reference section. Here is a link to it, give it a look and see what you think.

First Time Carry - A Good Start.

I would ad now that the new carry permit holder should seriously consider getting some advanced training. A class that goes over the legalities in their state concerning carry and use of deadly force. And I would really stress that the course should include some good live fire scenario instruction. That kind of training can be invaluable.
    BugDude and Idahokid like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by ega29520 View Post
    Real, accurate information on concealed carry in plain English instead of legal mumbo-jumbo. Things such as: what constitutes concealment in my state? If your weapon prints a bit will you be arrested? If your shirt blows open and your weapon is seen, is it a criminal act or just an "oops".

I can get information on the law as written from SCLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) but much of that seems to leave a lot of room for argument/discussion. I would prefer to see the laws listed with better interpretation. I think this lack of truly understanding the laws is a huge part of why more people do not seek a carry permit and also why many who get one do not carry consistantly.
    There is a reference for this, HTTP://handgunlaw.us

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

That whatever class the state mandates is not enough class.
    Don't spend good money on a gun and get a cheap holster/belt/mag pouch.
    Nobody notices you are concealing a gun unless you make a huge wardrobe mistake, and even then hardly anybody will notice anyway.
    It's a license to carry concealed, it doesn't make you security guard of the whole world.
    Don't do things or go places you wouldn't if you didn't have your gun.
    Snubs and pocket .380s are expert's guns, not beginner's guns.
    Carry it, don't make excuses not to carry if legal.
    Nobody who survived a gunfight ever wished for a smaller gun with less ammo, or, the only time extra ammo is bad is if you're swimming or on fire.
    The only time to fight unarmed is if you're naked and the furniture is bolted down.
    Memorize your lawyer's number. You won't have your cell phone and contact list in jail. Make sure someone else has his number too.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Things I wish I had known:
    Good holsters usually aren't cheap, and cheap holsters usually aren't good.
    A week-end course and $500 makes anybody a certified firearms instructor.
    One person's dream set-up might very well be another's POS.
    The guy behind the gun counter might not be the most objective expert.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    A long time ago, when my screen name here was PT-111, we had a thread asking much the same thing. I posted a response that P95Carry thought was good enough to be made into a sticky in the reference section. Here is a link to it, give it a look and see what you think.

First Time Carry - A Good Start.

I would ad now that the new carry permit holder should seriously consider getting some advanced training. A class that goes over the legalities in their state concerning carry and use of deadly force. And I would really stress that the course should include some good live fire scenario instruction. That kind of training can be invaluable.
    I read your original post via the link and it is outstanding. It should be a must read.

I see carrying as having two components. Knowledge and Wisdom. Knowledge I equate to the technical aspects of firearms, shooting, carrying, hardware, holsters, etc. That's informational in nature that should be backed up with practice and experience. Wisdom I equate to the mental, emotional, attitude, frame of mind aspects of the responsibility of carrying, protecting yourself, and avoiding situations at all cost. It is the maturation process of realizing the awesome responsibility you have taken on and having the right frame of mind to be safe and responsible.

I've been shooting for most of my life, so I had a good starting base of technical / safety awareness. When I decided to get my permit, I left the class thinking, "Really? We just spent two evenings in a face-to-face class and all we covered was the anatomy of a handgun and always point it in a safe direction? My Dad taught me that stuff when I was 10." I guess I expected more. That's when I contacted our local DA and he sent me some links to VA laws and Case Law examples. That left me with a thirst for even more.

I knew there was way more that I should know, and that is when I hit the net and found this website. The shared wisdom and knowledge available on this site changed me as a person. It changed my outlook, my attitude, and my approach to how I handle myself and situations. My family has noticed the change over the last few years.

I sometimes encounter new carriers who don't realize all of the things that they don't know. I hope they find a great resource to become grounded in a mature mindset for the responsibility they now have. I encourage them to come to this site and study all of the aspects of carrying and not just the hardware component. Most of us started somewhere similar at some point in our lives, and we had either a good mentor or a sense of needing to know more.
    Bullet1234 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Ilike this idea, the hard part is actually being able to find the info if youre new. Thanks for taking the time to put out ask together. I'm still new myself so I like getting any info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links