Massachusettes Carry??

Massachusettes Carry??

This is a discussion on Massachusettes Carry?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the rules in Mass for carrying in your car. I have a class A, but I specifically want to know if I can ...

Massachusettes Carry??

What are the rules in Mass for carrying in your car. I have a class A, but I specifically want to know if I can set up a car holster by the seat belt release button if by any chance I am car jacked.

Packing.org says:
    "No person carrying a loaded firearm (i.e. handgun) under a Class A License to carry firearms... shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person."

Translation??

Can I have a LOADED firearm under my seat? Next to me on the passenger seat?

Thanks!

My interpretation of that law would make me say that you could have a loaded firearm under the driver seat because:

(1) MA Class A LTC permits your carry/possession of a loaded high capacity handgun.

(2) and due to the close proximity of the loaded handgun to you (the Class A LTC Holder) would allow you immediate access and control of the handgun.

I think the law is primarily keying in on the LOADED FIREARM aspect and then the distance relationship (immediate control) to the permit holder. (Whereas a Class B LTC could only carry an UNLOADED weapon in the trunk of the vehicle.)

Please keep in mind... this is only my opinion and I can be wrong!

Stay Safe & Shoot Wisely!

-Rick

JJMAC: If you have a Class A LTC and it is not restricted, then you can carry concealed. The gun must be within your direct control at all times. I strongly suggest that you keep the gun on your person at all times.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    1911 has it down right.

If your LTC-A is restricted to "target and hunting" or other such stuff, you can NOT carry in a car either, it must be locked up and out of reach of the driver at all times.

If you EVER get out of the car with the gun under the seat, on another seat, bolted to the console, etc. you are now STORING the gun under MGL (which requires unloaded, locked or locked case). NOT A GOOD IDEA, as you could get nailed for improper storage which is treated in MA as a crime more serious than murder.

If you have a gun anywhere visible in the car, such that a truck driver or SUV driver can look down on you and determine that "that is a gun" expect a felony stop and potential loss of your LTC (discretionary on issuing chief as a "non suitable person" for frightening some sheeple). All anyone has to do is call 911 and report "man with a gun" and you are in the soup.

Keep the gun secured ON YOUR PERSON (only with a LTC-A/ALP) or leave it locked in the trunk, unloaded if a lesser permit. Those are your only two viable and safe (for your bank account) options.

+1 Len

RJ
    Sometimes there's Justice
    Sometimes there's Just Us

Thanks Gents.

Here's the deal. I have a Class A/ALP. I do not feel comfortable carrying my weapon on me while I am at work for fear of being made. I keep it in a briefcase which is by me at all times. Because I am mostly in a car, I just want to make sure that the gun in my briefcase is ok, as well as if I take it and put it next to me on the seat f that is OK as I trave through some rougher parts of town.

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Neither is what I'd recommend for more reasons than what have already been related.

Why not choose a good IWB hidden holster, do some searching here and you'll see some good choices.

If you don't trust yourself to carry, then don't do it until you get some more training and are comfortable with the idea. NRA training doesn't cut it here. Take a look at the courses being offered by some buddies of mine, listed on neshooters.com. Check out the Training forum on NortheastShooters.com for an upcoming class on "Art of Concealed Carry" given by GOAL (our state rights org) at the Mansfield F&G club (this course is usually only given in Northboro) at the end of November. You will also find other self-defense related course offerings listed in the MA area on that forum (since the focus of NortheastShooters.com is to cover things of specific interest in the Northeast US for gun owners).

I keep it in a briefcase which is by me at all times.
    Do you take the briefcase with you when you go to the bathroom?

Putting it on the seat next to you is NOT a good alternative. If you brake quickly, the gun will be off the seat and into the footwell. And as Len mentioned, if someone sees that gun sitting on the seat, they will likely call the police. The result will be, as Len suggests, a felony stop at best. At worst, you'll lose your LTC.

Back in the day, 25-ish years ago, MA non-resident licenses were a breeze to get, unlike resident licenses which weren't. A thorough read of the law revealed that if you were carrying, you had to carry and had better not leave it in the car, period.

A thorough read of the law revealed that if you were carrying, you had to carry and had better not leave it in the car, period.
    That part of the law changed in 1998. Now it is no longer illegal to leave it in the car, provided it is in a locked container, locked trunk or other secure container. Probably still not a good idea, but it is no longer illegal to leave them in your car.

+1 LenS

I'd get the most affordable and comfortable IWB holster that fits you well and just keep it on my person at all times. I keep my IWB at 1:30-2:00 with my XD9 Service and have no comfort problems while driving long distances in my truck. I can also draw from a seatbelted position almost as quickly as if I was standing up and drawing from concealment. A little practice is all it will take to get comfortable with the draw and you'll never have to think about leaving your handgun behind.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Links