Thanksgiving family advice PLEASE!? - Page 4

Thanksgiving family advice PLEASE!?

This is a discussion on Thanksgiving family advice PLEASE!? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gene83 Given the incident that took place near you last month, I'm surprised you would say that. The stabbing in the parking ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Thanksgiving family advice PLEASE!?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Given the incident that took place near you last month, I'm surprised you would say that. The stabbing in the parking lot of the grocery store that I use (while I was inside shopping) made me realize that minimal risk of something happening is no longer an acceptable reason not to carry. I used to think..."Well, I'm just running down to the store. It's broad daylight. Why bother with the gun?" I don't think that way anymore, because once in a blue moon, something can happen and I now feel that I need to be ready for it.

In this particular incident, to keep peace in the family, the risk is minimal. But, I think the idea that the risk is minimal can become a complacent behavior that proves dangerous.
    I gotta agree here. when you least expect it is when bad things happen. Thjese criminals today don't care about what time of day it is or if it's daylight outside. I've seen too many things happen in broad daylight that ordinary people wouldn't think of at all. Yes there are other ways to defend yourself, but unless your Bruce Lee or made of steel your gun is your best defense. If the bad guy has a gun and yours is at home, your screwed ! You may die, you may just get robbed, I do not wish to roll the dice in that matter. There's no such thing as minimal risk, risk is always prresent especially when you step out your front door ! Like the old saying goes, "Better to have a Gun and not need it, than to need a Gun and not have it !" All of my family knows I pack and no one has a problem with it. They understand it's my choice and my life !
    Sometimes bad things happen where you least expect it ! I rather be safe than sorry !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Don't care how secure an automotive safe is, the vehicle could still be stolen. Do NOT store it there for longer than you have to, & certainly not overnight. As far as notifying your relatives of your self defense practices, I don't believe that you had any responsibility to inform them in the first place.

As a weapon is just an option in your overall defensive scheme, is it wise to be without your defensive firearm when your options run out?

As said before, the damage is done. No need to discuss with family any further. Keep your firearm near you as much as possible & live & learn. Glad things seem to be working out.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

just my two cents, your aunt said she "wished you would have asked, and would have left it at home", however that did not happen. This is a different situation then shoulda, coulda, woulda.... you have it at her house now. if she hasnt asked you to remove it from the house then you are ok. she expressed concearn for it, but has not told you to remove it, if my understanding is correct. Until she asks you to remove it, i would keep it on me, or in my safe, keep it concealed, and on a strict need to know basis....
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun4169 View Post
    I gotta agree here. when you least expect it is when bad things happen. Thjese criminals today don't care about what time of day it is or if it's daylight outside. I've seen too many things happen in broad daylight that ordinary people wouldn't think of at all. Yes there are other ways to defend yourself, but unless your Bruce Lee or made of steel your gun is your best defense. If the bad guy has a gun and yours is at home, your screwed ! You may die, you may just get robbed, I do not wish to roll the dice in that matter. There's no such thing as minimal risk, risk is always prresent especially when you step out your front door ! Like the old saying goes, "Better to have a Gun and not need it, than to need a Gun and not have it !" All of my family knows I pack and no one has a problem with it. They understand it's my choice and my life !
    Sometimes bad things happen where you least expect it ! I rather be safe than sorry !
    What will all the home invasion guys say to that?

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Nothing says closeness with family on the holidays like boom, flash, recoil, and the smell of burnt gunpowder.
    Amen! I spent yesterday morning with my son-in-law and my 7-year old grandson at the range. My grandson has his own Cricket .22 rifle and would gladly skip school to go shooting, if he could get away with it. He's currently hooked on shooting golf balls with the same S&W M34 that his mother and uncle learned to shoot with. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Keep it to yourself next time. No one needs to know. I plan on going to a few holiday parties this season and will be well concealed. I don't worry about alcohol since none will be served and I don't drink. At at least one, there will be a few CCers there.

I don't plan to tell anyone, but do plan to enjoy myself. I had a great time two weeks ago at one restaurant where about 30 of us did an OC dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    If the state law requires that you inform the homeowner, that's a whole different matter. You obey the law.
    Quite so.

Carrying a firearm is a part of me, period! If someone don't like it, tough for them. I see a lot of people have a problem like this or they can't tell or don't want to tell. I guess I am lucky in that aspect, because I have never had a problem ever about carrying, all my family and friends know and most carry anyway. For me it is so alien that someone has to keep it under wraps. Now I don't tell strangers or anything like that, but people that know me know that I am always armed. I even know one Canadian and two Swiss and none has a problem with it.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quite a few people have mentioned "Homeowner's wishes/rules". While I respect a homeowners rules and abide by them I must ask the question....If you don't mention that you are carrying, and the homeowner never makes their feelings about firearms known, how are you at fault if they don't want you carrying in their home and don't tell you? I don't feel the obligation to tell a homeowner that I am carrying a multi-tool or something into their home (which can also be used to do harm to others), why is a gun different?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    Quite a few people have mentioned "Homeowner's wishes/rules". While I respect a homeowners rules and abide by them I must ask the question....If you don't mention that you are carrying, and the homeowner never makes their feelings about firearms known, how are you at fault if they don't want you carrying in their home and don't tell you? I don't feel the obligation to tell a homeowner that I am carrying a multi-tool or something into their home (which can also be used to do harm to others), why is a gun different?
    People have different concepts of what constitutes courtesy. In your mind what you are suggesting is fine and not discourteous, and perhaps you are correct. It doesn't however sit well with my sense of what constitutes courtesy.

I have friends who are absolutely gun people. They have several handguns, rifles, shotguns, in their home. When we get together usually a couple of cops (their children) are also there.

I know if I asked permission they wouldn't object. I know if I went in armed, I'd be joining the crowd. If I got a hug and something got detected, it would be ignored.

But it is their home.

I feel strongly that I should either ask permission or leave it in the car.
    MadMac and Penhall like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Something else to consider. Although only a handful of states REQUIRE you to inform the homeowner you are carrying, many more states have statutes making it offence if you have been given verbal notice by the property owner that you are not permitted to carry there.

Texas for example has very specific signage laws. But, if you are given verbal notice to leave by someone with appropriate authority to act on behalf of the property owner, then it doesn't matter whether they have the 30.06 sign (the legally defined sign in the statutes) or not. If you stay, then you are in violation of the law. Of course, thats Texas, but it's not the only state with that kind of law. We're pretty CCW friendly here.

Oh, and and let's not even start on the whole Thanksgiving dinner and alcohol thing. For that reason alone, it may be more prudent to secure the weapon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    Something else to consider. Although only a handful of states REQUIRE you to inform the homeowner you are carrying, many more states have statutes making it offence if you have been given verbal notice by the property owner that you are not permitted to carry there.

Texas for example has very specific signage laws. But, if you are given verbal notice to leave by someone with appropriate authority to act on behalf of the property owner, then it doesn't matter whether they have the 30.06 sign (the legally defined sign in the statutes) or not. If you stay, then you are in violation of the law. Of course, thats Texas, but it's not the only state with that kind of law. We're pretty CCW friendly here.
    Same thing in Ohio. Verbal notice carries the weight of law.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Carrying a firearm is a part of me, period! If someone don't like it, tough for them. I see a lot of people have a problem like this or they can't tell or don't want to tell. I guess I am lucky in that aspect, because I have never had a problem ever about carrying, all my family and friends know and most carry anyway. For me it is so alien that someone has to keep it under wraps. Now I don't tell strangers or anything like that, but people that know me know that I am always armed. I even know one Canadian and two Swiss and none has a problem with it.
    No, if you are violating the law, tough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    People have different concepts of what constitutes courtesy. In your mind what you are suggesting is fine and not discourteous, and perhaps you are correct. It doesn't however sit well with my sense of what constitutes courtesy.

I have friends who are absolutely gun people. They have several handguns, rifles, shotguns, in their home. When we get together usually a couple of cops (their children) are also there.

I know if I asked permission they wouldn't object. I know if I went in armed, I'd be joining the crowd. If I got a hug and something got detected, it would be ignored.

But it is their home.

I feel strongly that I should either ask permission or leave it in the car.
    So you must not be a huge believer in the "dont ask, don't tell" mentality?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links