Changes to NC CCW laws on Dec 1, 2011

This is a discussion on Changes to NC CCW laws on Dec 1, 2011 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by noway2 I am coming to the realization that NC has some pretty kooky restrictions, such as parades, funerals, and "any place admission ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Changes to NC CCW laws on Dec 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I am coming to the realization that NC has some pretty kooky restrictions, such as parades, funerals, and "any place admission is charged". 100+ years of Democrat lead legislature that started in the Jim Crow period and extended through the anti/liberal transition will do that sort of thing.
    Going armed to the terror of the public, for instance. Jim Crow law #1 right there.

All very true noway2.
    chiliman likes this.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
    You cannot carry concealed in any area declared a state of emergency. So during or after a hurricane or other natural disaster where a state of emergency has been declared, and when protection is possibly needed, it is illegal to carry concealed. Kinda crazy.
    You need to check the exclusions in the SOE order to see if the firearms and alcohol provision is enacted for each SOE. All of the recent SOEs have had the firearms portion excluded so carry was good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know where you're refering to, but the idea is that you stay home and protect yourself rather than wandering around with the looters. And I don't recall anyone being arrested for CCing after the many hurricanes I went thru. The cops had bigger concerns than frisking everyone.
    I'm referring to the NC law in question, you just need to read the restrictions. Not sure anyone would take a defensive position on that restriction. See all Moga's comments for the what if's I won't go through. Why someone may want to conceal during the state of emergency should not be a point of discussion. The question is why is it restricted. I'm quite certain that someone who may have lost their permit for violating this provision wouldn't exactly be front page news, it would just be one more person's right unreasonably taken away.

I didn't even get into the pretty ridiculous restrictions on carrying at "Events Occurring in Public Places" referred to by noway2. Whole other can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You need to check the exclusions in the SOE order to see if the firearms and alcohol provision is enacted for each SOE. All of the recent SOEs have had the firearms portion excluded so carry was good to go.
    That's certainly a positive sign. I would guess the current political climate allows for these exclusions but not enough to eliminate the restriction completely. Still shouldn't be law though. Just too close to laws to keep the citizens in order by taking away their gun rights. My mind goes straight to Katrina and the needs of the citizenry to be able to defend themselves long after the emergency event (hurricane) had occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    And as a native Floridian who lived there over 30 years I know first hand that getting a purchase permit from the sheriff in NC is still better than living in Florida for many other reasons. I guess you and I balance the FL/NC population because I'd never go back to Florida.
    As a part-timer in either state, I'll take FL for handgun laws. I'll take NC for people.
    SIGguy229, noway2 and Secret Spuk like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
    You cannot carry concealed in any area declared a state of emergency. So during or after a hurricane or other natural disaster where a state of emergency has been declared, and when protection is possibly needed, it is illegal to carry concealed. Kinda crazy.
    The present Gov declares a state of emergency when we have such storms to facilitate getting federal funds; however, she has been putting in a caveat that the state of emergency does not infringe on gun rights and carrying of a CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    As a part-timer in either state, I'll take FL for handgun laws. I'll take NC for people.
    That's a great way to put it. I lived across the bay from you for a few years and loved it but it's not what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I'll take NC for people.
    Sooner or later you all seem to end up here. I can say that because my Floridian wife is sleeping now. She has vowed never to go back for more than a few days at a time.

You can add Gamelands OC and CC are good to go now. NCWRC just amended their crazy .22 only outside of hunting season rule.

N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > Licensing > Regulations > Fire Arms and Concealed Carry

We are making headway. As for the SOE, there is a pending lawsuit moving through the courts too. I would rather settle it completely by lawsuit and case law than have the legislature shuffle things around again.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I hope NC would dump its purchase permit requirement...it's another Jim Crow law...racist and unnecessary.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I hope NC would dump its purchase permit requirement...it's another Jim Crow law...racist and unnecessary.
    In that it someone has to get background checked to ensure eligibility to own a gun and someone with an element of authority, rather than a store clerk, has to do the check and sign off on it, I think it is a good thing. However, it can be and is abused. There is a clause in the law that says something to the effect of being up to the sheriff's judgement that the individual is of good character. I have a coworker would like to purchase a .22 handgun for target practice but he has pretty much been told that since he isn't personal friends with the sheriff or a deputy that he needs to get the concealed carry permit at about 40x the cost instead ($100 for a class + $90 for a permit versus $5 for a purchase permit).

Most handgun restrictions, and control's have their roots based in "jim crow" law, and racism. Even in the great liberal north.

Tried and went down in flames. Seems the Sheriff's Assoc. does not want to give up the $5, or the control.

Noway2, the NCIC system is pass/fail. Clerk or Sheriff does not matter. Pass = buy, fail = no buy. I don't believe the Sheriff runs any addition checks like they do with a CHP. It should not be "Up to them".
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    In that it someone has to get background checked to ensure eligibility to own a gun and someone with an element of authority, rather than a store clerk, has to do the check and sign off on it, I think it is a good thing. However, it can be and is abused. There is a clause in the law that says something to the effect of being up to the sheriff's judgement that the individual is of good character. I have a coworker would like to purchase a .22 handgun for target practice but he has pretty much been told that since he isn't personal friends with the sheriff or a deputy that he needs to get the concealed carry permit at about 40x the cost instead ($100 for a class + $90 for a permit versus $5 for a purchase permit).
    and therein lies the theory of the Jim Crow comment. It has nothing to do with legal disqualification but personal preference of the issuer.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Tried and went down in flames. Seems the Sheriff's Assoc. does not want to give up the $5, or the control.

Noway2, the NCIC system is pass/fail. Clerk or Sheriff does not matter. Pass = buy, fail = no buy. I don't believe the Sheriff runs any addition checks like they do with a CHP. It should not be "Up to them".
    That is how it should be. If you go to the county web site, Orange County, it shows one application. According to the coworker, he went to apply and was handed a different, much bigger, application and was told at the time that unless an officer will personally vouch for him that it will be denied. He was told to apply for a CCW instead, which doesn't have such a character clause, which is written into the statute.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Most handgun restrictions, and control's have their roots based in "jim crow" law, and racism. Even in the great liberal north.
    Especially in the liberal North. NYC's Sullivan Act is a perfect example.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links