Changes to NC CCW laws on Dec 1, 2011

This is a discussion on Changes to NC CCW laws on Dec 1, 2011 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by noway2 That is how it should be. If you go to the county web site, Orange County, it shows one application. According ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Changes to NC CCW laws on Dec 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    That is how it should be. If you go to the county web site, Orange County, it shows one application. According to the coworker, he went to apply and was handed a different, much bigger, application and was told at the time that unless an officer will personally vouch for him that it will be denied. He was told to apply for a CCW instead, which doesn't have such a character clause, which is written into the statute.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Sounds to me like your county needs to vote in a new Sherriff.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

2. Remove Ads

Dec. 1st is just hours away. I am glad NC finally decided to make some positive changes to our Castle Doctrine. Giving the law abiding citizen more defined laws, that clearly state our rights to defend ourselves.
    Glock 19 gen 4
    M&P 45c
    Mossberg Maverick 12g
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

So in NC can we CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as we are not consuming??

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    You can not carry into places that served alcohol. They tried to get this changed but failed. That is their next item to change in NC law. People in NC are working on it.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Has anyone noticed the comical ways in which the new laws are being described in the media? For example, (for those who live in the eastern half of the state) on FM-101.1 this morning they phrased it as "you are now allowed to shoot an intruder who is fleeing your house." Similarly, on TWC channel 14 news last night they put it as "you are now allowed to shoot an intruder as prior to the law you still needed to be in fear for your life".

T76
    Has anyone noticed the comical ways in which the new laws are being described in the media? For example, (for those who live in the eastern half of the state) on FM-101.1 this morning they phrased it as "you are now allowed to shoot an intruder who is fleeing your house." Similarly, on TWC channel 14 news last night they put it as "you are now allowed to shoot an intruder as prior to the law you still needed to be in fear for your life".
    I love it! I hope the thieves breaking in peoples houses hear it and think twice. Wishful thinking I am sure. :)

Quote Originally Posted by seaaircapt View Post
    So in NC can we CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as we are not consuming??
    No. But HB 111 is still alive for the short session. We need to get ready to send emails to the committee and get them moving on this.

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 111 Information/History (2011-2012 Session)

Here is a pretty good article on the Castle Doctrine portion from WBTV in Charlotte. I like the DA's take on it too.

State law expands victims' right to use deadly force - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

In that it someone has to get background checked to ensure eligibility to own a gun and someone with an element of authority, rather than a store clerk, has to do the check and sign off on it, I think it is a good thing. However, it can be and is abused. There is a clause in the law that says something to the effect of being up to the sheriff's judgement that the individual is of good character. I have a coworker would like to purchase a .22 handgun for target practice but he has pretty much been told that since he isn't personal friends with the sheriff or a deputy that he needs to get the concealed carry permit at about 40x the cost instead ($100 for a class + $90 for a permit versus $5 for a purchase permit).
    A NICS check can determine eligibility. As far as the BS "good character" requirement, since when is this required to exercise a right? Why need one "kiss the ring" of the local yokel to buy a gun? This leads to cronyism and "good ole boy" network that your friend experienced. One set of requirements, not one for LEO friends and one for the rest. I think you have a false sense of security in this "good character" requirement. Either someone is a prohibited person or they are not.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links