Changes to NC CCW laws on Dec 1, 2011

This is a discussion on Changes to NC CCW laws on Dec 1, 2011 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have a link to an easy to understand guide to the changes in NC CCW laws that go into effect in 5 days? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Changes to NC CCW laws on Dec 1, 2011

Does anyone have a link to an easy to understand guide to the changes in NC CCW laws that go into effect in 5 days?

I'm co confused

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member

The Winston-Salem City Council is the latest local government to take action on the issue of concealed carry in the parks it controls. On Monday, November 21, the council voted 7 to 1 to prohibit firearms in 52 of the 69 parks under the city’s control.
    The city of W-S decided that criminals may continue to carry guns in city parks while those carrying with a CCW could not carry in parks. The citizens of the city were never allowed to vote on the subject.

So if I'm reading this correctly as of 12/1/2011 we can now carry concealed into a bank as long as it isn't posted?

But the provision allowing you to leave your firearm locked in your car on school property was removed?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMak View Post
    The Winston-Salem City Council is the latest local government to take action on the issue of concealed carry in the parks it controls. On Monday, November 21, the council voted 7 to 1 to prohibit firearms in 52 of the 69 parks under the city’s control.
    The city of W-S decided that criminals may continue to carry guns in city parks while those carrying with a CCW could not carry in parks. The citizens of the city were never allowed to vote on the subject.
    Y'all need to fix your state preemption. Why have it if this ^ can be done?
    Ranger likes this.

Note on NC Law

I am currently "residing" in NC, with my "real" residency in TX (military). It appears that I will be a bona fide resident of NC within the next 18 months, since I will be retiring here. Reading the current CC law of NC, I found this and am wondering if it means I can only purchase 1 handgun - period or what? Anyone?

" NOTE: North Carolina law allows for the purchase of a single handgun wiht a single valid purchase permit....."

Or does it mean that I can purchase as many handguns per visit as long as each one has its own purchase permit?

I am thinking the latter, but not sure.

Thanks,
    westnavy

If you have a CCW in N.C. you can buy all the firearms with that that you want, The law in your reference is for the handgun permits that people without a CCW have to obtain at the sherriffs office, They are 1 gun for each permit.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    So if I'm reading this correctly as of 12/1/2011 we can now carry concealed into a bank as long as it isn't posted?

But the provision allowing you to leave your firearm locked in your car on school property was removed?
    First, on financial institutions, yes, as of 12-1-2011 you may carry concealed into banks that are not posted. You could always carry open into financial institutions as long as they were not posted even before the new laws.

Second, there was no change to the carry on educational property so it's still no guns period on school grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTNAVY View Post
    I am currently "residing" in NC, with my "real" residency in TX (military). It appears that I will be a bona fide resident of NC within the next 18 months, since I will be retiring here. Reading the current CC law of NC, I found this and am wondering if it means I can only purchase 1 handgun - period or what? Anyone?

" NOTE: North Carolina law allows for the purchase of a single handgun wiht a single valid purchase permit....."

Or does it mean that I can purchase as many handguns per visit as long as each one has its own purchase permit?

I am thinking the latter, but not sure.

Thanks,
    westnavy
    You need one pistol permit per handgun you take possession of. You may get up to 5 permits at a time at most sheriffs offices. If you have a concealed handgun permit you no longer need the pistol purchase permits from the sheriff. Welcome to NC you'll find it a great place to retire. If you have any other questions on the CHP feel free to ask.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's pretty sad that one needs a "permission slip" of any kind from Barney to purchase a handgun, whether to be carried concealed or not. One more reason I never moved back to NC.
    ep1953 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's pretty sad that one needs a "permission slip" of any kind from Barney to purchase a handgun, whether to be carried concealed or not. One more reason I never moved back to NC.
    And as a native Floridian who lived there over 30 years I know first hand that getting a purchase permit from the sheriff in NC is still better than living in Florida for many other reasons. I guess you and I balance the FL/NC population because I'd never go back to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    And as a native Floridian who lived there over 30 years I know first hand that getting a purchase permit from the sheriff in NC is still better than living in Florida for many other reasons. I guess you and I balance the FL/NC population because I'd never go back to Florida.
    Cant say that I blame you...Florida is a pit.

You cannot carry concealed in any area declared a state of emergency. So during or after a hurricane or other natural disaster where a state of emergency has been declared, and when protection is possibly needed, it is illegal to carry concealed. Kinda crazy.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
    You cannot carry concealed in any area declared a state of emergency. So during or after a hurricane or other natural disaster where a state of emergency has been declared, and when protection is possibly needed, it is illegal to carry concealed. Kinda crazy.
    I don't know where you're refering to, but the idea is that you stay home and protect yourself rather than wandering around with the looters. And I don't recall anyone being arrested for CCing after the many hurricanes I went thru. The cops had bigger concerns than frisking everyone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
    I am coming to the realization that NC has some pretty kooky restrictions, such as parades, funerals, and "any place admission is charged". 100+ years of Democrat lead legislature that started in the Jim Crow period and extended through the anti/liberal transition will do that sort of thing.

What if an elderly member of your family runs out of medicine that they rely on for survival? A family member that lives in an adjacent community is under attack by home invaders? Your wife has been injured in a car accident while attempting to hurry home in hopes of avoiding trouble? I can think of a half dozen reasons why it may be necessary to venture out during a so-called state of emergency. Just because the state has made a declaration meant to entitle it to federal funds doesn't mean that your household's immediate needs no longer need meeting. Heavens forbid if the person that can't wait out the emergency has to produce their weapon in self defense while out taking care of pressing business. They may be charged with a crime and lose their CHP through no fault of their own.

I couldn't imagine living there. Too many rules meant to hamstring the man that takes seriously the responsibility to provide for one's personal protection. I've lived and been permitted up north and faced fewer off limit places there than in NC.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links