revolver vs semi auto fully loaded - Page 2

revolver vs semi auto fully loaded

This is a discussion on revolver vs semi auto fully loaded within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 I do believe some guns are safer than others. Plenty of discussions here on that, so I'll leave it be. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: revolver vs semi auto fully loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I do believe some guns are safer than others.

Plenty of discussions here on that, so I'll leave it be.
    I belive it's training. But if your a newbie I would look at a Sprinfield XD. Because it has a grip safety. Grip safety and trigger safety in the Xd. I would rather have that then a revolvor for CCW. Just because of round count and they come in smaller sizes.
    Some ppl don't like plastic guns but you can't bet the weight, round count and smaller size. Also price. Some of my 1911 when I tell ppl what I paid they think I'm crazy :). I like my revolver. The 4-6" barrled SW are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Why is it so many people have no problem carrying a revolver with a full cylinder as it is intended but the same people will not carry a chambered semi automatic. Its the same method of firing, pull trigger. Its the same with no safeties, it just happens to be loaded in a different manner and in most cases semi autos have more rounds on tap. Why is the semi automatic so much more "dangerous" to these people than a semi auto like a Glock or an XD. I don't get it, carrying a revolver loaded is the same as carrying a semi auto loaded, dont pull the trigger it wont go off.
    Well, it can be the same, but if the semi-auto is single action like a 1911 it is NOT like carrying a revolver. For the DA or DA/SA or many striker-fired semis: you're right, makes no sense. Only thing I can think of is trigger pull weight is usually greater with a revolver than a semi-auto DA or the others. Maybe that? Dunno....

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    I belive it's training. But if your a newbie I would look at a Sprinfield XD. Because it has a grip safety. Grip safety and trigger safety in the Xd. I would rather have that then a revolvor for CCW. Just because of round count and they come in smaller sizes.
    Some ppl don't like plastic guns but you can't bet the weight, round count and smaller size. Also price. Some of my 1911 when I tell ppl what I paid they think I'm crazy :). I like my revolver. The 4-6" barrled SW are very nice.
    I have yet to see an XD smaller than a baby glock, yet alone a smith and wesson J-frame, where are you finding these tiny XD's?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I have yet to see an XD smaller than a baby glock, yet alone a smith and wesson J-frame, where are you finding these tiny XD's?
    Who said it was smaller than a "Baby Glock" But they are close. Almost the same except the Height is less than 1/2" taller. The SW are bigger you call find specs yourself. The revolvers are fatter and they are same length or longer. It's easy if you search.
    A LCR is bigger than a XD and thats pretty small for a revolver. But to keep with the post guess the size doen't matter with ccw. But I pretter to carry smaller- med size guns. Unless i'm in the Bush.

Springfield Armory

depends on the revolver, typically 5-7 pounds
    So to keep with the post. If a revolver is 5-7# it pretty much thesame as a semi so ND is just as easy with both if the semi has no safety. Dunno that just means the shotter is uneducated IMO

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    So to keep with the post. If a revolver is 5-7# it pretty much thesame as a semi so ND is just as easy with both if the semi has no safety. Dunno that just means the shotter is uneducated IMO
    I own 10 S&W revolvers - There is NO such thing as a 7 pound DA pull , ( in single action -hammer cocked- yes or even lighter ).
    The length of pull is also much longer than in a semi-auto.

Nobody fires a revolver in DA mode "accidently " or "negligently".

wmhawth and Eldon Hickey like this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

one thing I didn't see mentioned; A revolver in a case would have the additional friction of the cylinder requiring to revolve. Inserting or removing the additional friction applies once the cylinder makes contact with case.

Some might feel safer knowing that.

It is the same illogical thinking and misunderstanding of people who think carrying a 1911 cocked and locked (which has both a thumb safety and grip safety) is much more dangerous than carrying a single action striker fired semi-auto with no external safeties. Once you understand the internal and external workings of the 1911, you can easily come to the conclusion that the 1911 cocked and locked is safer...but there's something psychological about people seeing an external hammer cocked. It is more mental and emotional than rational.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Because they haven't gotten enough trigger time to get confident in their weapon and become comfortable with it.
    This; and they have seen semi-autos with an external safety and so the idea of carrrying a Glock, Kahr, etc with one in the chamber and no "safety" scares the bee-jeezxus out of them. Boils down to training, confidence, and understanding how to carry. (And keeping your booger hook of the trigger).

Lack of knowledge and experience ! I had a woman come into the shop and say the same thing. I explained how a semi auto works and showed her and she was at ease.
    Sometimes there's people who say the opposite, that a semi is safer because it has a safety {The ones that do}. Then I explain about the difference in trigger pull and they are set at ease. The number one rule, keep your finger off the trigger if you don't want to shoot ! This goes for any gun be it revolver, semi-auto, rifle, or shotgun !
    marcclarke likes this.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Have to throw in my one cent worth here (accounting for devaluation of the two-cents I normally offer).

With a pocket-carried or holster carried revolver there's more resistance to inadvertantly pulling the trigger--trigger pull weight higher, external resistance on the cylinder, external resistance on the hammer, etc. My Glock, on the other hand, has only the "Safe Action" trigger, which is hardly a safety at all. Anything that might slip into the trigger guard--pocketknife, shirt tail, edge of the holster, etc., will (and does) easily defeat the Safe Action trigger and can more easily (and will) cause an inadvertant discharge.

Is the Glock "unsafe"? No. Is it less safe? I say yes. Any pistol relying solely on a trigger-mounted safety is more subseptible to an inadvertant discharge that something with an external safety. Even the touted 1911 with both grip and external safety is easily defeated. If reholstering, the grip safety is disengaged by design, it's in your grip--one down oand one to go. The external safety can be inadvertantly disengaged (or forgotten in the heat of stress), and we're back to relying on the safety between our ears--keep the finger (and foreign objects) off the trigger.

It comes down to being extra careful with all guns all the time, regardless of make, model, or style. If an "empty" gun can fire, surely a loaded one will.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Have to throw in my one cent worth here (accounting for devaluation of the two-cents I normally offer).

With a pocket-carried or holster carried revolver there's more resistance to inadvertantly pulling the trigger--trigger pull weight higher, external resistance on the cylinder, external resistance on the hammer, etc. My Glock, on the other hand, has only the "Safe Action" trigger, which is hardly a safety at all. Anything that might slip into the trigger guard--pocketknife, shirt tail, edge of the holster, etc., will (and does) easily defeat the Safe Action trigger and can more easily (and will) cause an inadvertant discharge.

Is the Glock "unsafe"? No. Is it less safe? I say yes. Any pistol relying solely on a trigger-mounted safety is more subseptible to an inadvertant discharge that something with an external safety. Even the touted 1911 with both grip and external safety is easily defeated. If reholstering, the grip safety is disengaged by design, it's in your grip--one down oand one to go. The external safety can be inadvertantly disengaged (or forgotten in the heat of stress), and we're back to relying on the safety between our ears--keep the finger (and foreign objects) off the trigger.

It comes down to being extra careful with all guns all the time, regardless of make, model, or style. If an "empty" gun can fire, surely a loaded one will.
    Yeah, I think the Glaock standard trigger could use a pound or two more weight. When I had one I used the NY1 spring. I shoot and carry snubs and would alternate with the Glock, but being used to DA Revolver trigger-weight and then moving to 5lb on the Glock, no thanks.
    Eldon Hickey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I own 10 S&W revolvers - There is NO such thing as a 7 pound DA pull , ( in single action -hammer cocked- yes or even lighter ).
    The length of pull is also much longer than in a semi-auto.

Nobody fires a revolver in DA mode "accidently " or "negligently".

Yeah but f you read the post ahead of mine I was just responding to the trigger pull someone poster. I know they are~ 12# common but don't know the exact? What is it?. Thats why they have the NY trigger to simulate a revolver. But that stock I know many ppl who put #5 trigger on there wheels.

Here's Why People Believe This Manual "Safety" Stuff:

Revolvers have a DA trigger pull weight around 10lb-12lbs. Their SA weight is about 5lbs. That's what the Colt Python's is about - and most are about those weights. It is definitely Not the same as a semi. No offense.
    I think the reason has to do with the internals of a semi - though what I don't know. What DA semis do have is a long trigger pull before the shot is fired - like a revolver, though again less than a revolver's.

There is nothing I've shot in the world of semis that has the same trigger feel as a revolver - though I can't say I've shot thousands. But I believe the only gun whose trigger feels like revolver is a revolver. That's why people like them - one of the reasons.

Can't go wrong with a good revolver. It'll be firing away long after you're but a memory. That's the case with my 3 Colt revolvers I shoot. They're doing great - but their owners are long gone to that range in the sky. Love the feeling of history when I use them. Can't get that from black polymer, no matter how technically good the gun is.

And that's why modern shooters who started recently are freaked without a manual safety in Semis that don't need it
    (I mean isn't 3 or 4 internal ones enough!): they didn't start shooting revolvers, which is the way shooters used to start - full size 38 Specials - sometimes preceded by a 22 revolver to really learn to shoot first. Now, they pick up a semi - know zip about revolvers and are convinced if a gun does not have a manual safety it is unsafe. If they'd started with revolvers, they'd know from day one that was not true - from their own experience. Now they have no such experience.

My thoughts anyway...

The Military advises the M-9 be carried with a round in the chamber, hammer down and the safety off. The reasoning is it's a double action and thus no different than a double action revolver.
    marcclarke likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links