Just what is this 'Right to bear arms?'

This is a discussion on Just what is this 'Right to bear arms?' within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We talk about it, we do it. But what does it really mean? Based on feedback here and elsewhere, I'll probably do a follow-up in ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Just what is this 'Right to bear arms?'

Just what is this 'Right to bear arms?'

We talk about it, we do it.
    But what does it really mean?

Based on feedback here and elsewhere, I'll probably do a follow-up in a few days. So gather your thoughts, keep them pithy and on-topic.

Just what is this ‘right to bear arms’ and what does it cover?

Washington State’s own Tri-City Herald today published an editorial that speaks about the Second Amendment and how many liberals cling to the notion that it is the illegitimate son in the Bill of Rights...

Just what is this

2. Remove Ads

I thought you were going to do a Miss Emily Litella gag.

What's all this I hear about the right to bare arms? We have a right to bare legs to don't we?? What? Oh, well that's different.....Never Mind.

(I fear I'm showing my age but a tip of the hat to Gilda Radner).

VIP Member
    It is the recognition of the Natural Right of all living beings to protect themselves, and by instinct or morality, their offspring, using tooth, claw, club, spear, sword, or gun (and whatever else comes to hand).
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I'll go with what RoardRunner71 said. :)

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Please leave the 2nd Amendment ALONE!. It`s the libertards who are the problem in this Country.

Yup, RR71 said it good enough for me. Amen brother.

I'll only add that, it's all the interpolation through the years that's made it what it is today; an area ripe for wrongful interpolation by the men "and" women in powerful places today, that have a desire to rule instead of serve. I'm sure the founding fathers meant it just as it sounds, and not much more. What was good in that day, is still good to this day.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

The idea that the instinct for self preservation is dependent on one's political affiliation is ludicrous.
    shockwave and Doghandler like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Our Founding Fathers knew, as they set out to form our Constitution, that government can, and likely would, become too powerful and attempt tyranny. They also knew that disarming the citizens was one of the first steps. Writing in the 2A was a means to keep the citizens armed against a government that could swiftly become an enemy.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Scripture ( christian) is full of verses that support the right to defend one's family and property at any price. The 2nd ammendment reaffirms that. "From my cold dead hands!"
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

VIP Member
    I personally have absolutely no idea what 2a means; or what it meant, and to whom, back then, or today.
    It needs amending for clarity, badly.

Our legislatures and our judiciary (both state and federal) have been all over the map with this one. 2A means one thing in NY; something else in Washington DC, something else in MN and something else in AZ. And our Supremes have shown little interest in truly clarifying what 2A does mean in their considered opinion. So they are no help really.

I know what I would like 2A to mean.

What I would like it to mean is that an ordinary citizen or lawful immigrant, of reasonably sound mind and judgment (no involuntary mental health holds) and clean criminal record (no felonies involving violence or threats of violence) may possess firearms AND other weapons such as knives and clubs and pepper spray, suitable for the purposes of sport and self defense.

That anyone who is not precluded because of prior bad acts and mental health issues may own arms suitable to sporting and self defense as defined by Congress from time to time, and may carry such arms for purposes of self defense, after taking a brief prescribed course on the lawful use of a weapon to defend ones self and on gun handling safety.

I know, that leaves room for Congress to make the training requirement onerous, and I don't know how to get around that problem as I just don't like the concept of folks with no training whatsoever carrying outside the home.

As to all the other emotional stuff folks come up with, from rebellion and revolt to the extreme libertarian viewpoint that "I can do what I want and nobody is gonna tell me," I'm not in that camp.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

I know, that leaves room for Congress to make the training requirement onerous, and I don't know how to get around that problem as I just don't like the concept of folks with no training whatsoever carrying outside the home.

As to all the other emotional stuff folks come up with, from rebellion and revolt to the extreme libertarian viewpoint that "I can do what I want and nobody is gonna tell me," I'm not in that camp.
    I surely understand why you could think this way but how can we, as a supposedly free society, preclude anyone from carrying outside the home who doesn't have training? In all likelihood, any criminal who would possibly attack an innocent citizen, would have no training. I think this is all part of living in a free country. There are prices to pay. If one is free all should be free.

I am definitely an advocate for training. But I am also an advocate that all should be free to exercise their 2a right with the exception of those that have been absolutely committed for psychological reasons, criminals who have misused and abused their right to carry a weapon and non criminals who have abused their rights to carry.

Other than that, why should we refuse that right to anyone else?
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Just what is this right to bear arms?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    We talk about it, we do it.
    But what does it really mean?
    The government is always asking the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I surely understand why you could think this way but how can we, as a supposedly free society, preclude anyone from carrying outside the home who doesn't have training? In all likelihood, any criminal who would possibly attack an innocent citizen, would have no training. I think this is all part of living in a free country. There are prices to pay. If one is free all should be free.

I am definitely an advocate for training. But I am also an advocate that all should be free to exercise their 2a right with the exception of those that have been absolutely committed for psychological reasons, criminals who have misused and abused their right to carry a weapon and non criminals who have abused their rights to carry.

Other than that, why should we refuse that right to anyone else?
    You shouldn't. When you actually stop and think about it, do gun laws actually stop anyone who wants a gun from getting one? Thirteen year olds carry them to school. Jared Loughner got one even though his mental problems were bad enough to get him kicked out of college. So who exactly are gun laws restricting? They don't seem to be doing a very good job of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, kids, and nutjobs.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I believe the 2nd amendment is just as relevant today as it was in the 1700's. The Founding Fathers put into place the right of every citizen, the right to keep (own, posses,acquire) and to bear (hold, and yes point & shoot if necessary) arms. They were quite specific about it and took lessons from British rule that restricted Her citizens in the possession of them.

They knew that a well armed citizenery would be free from Governmental tyranny and that having the right to possess and bear them would guarantee that right. I believe they would be astounded at the types of firearms we have, and also that the freedom to do what they put in writing still applies today.
    Tzadik and baren like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    Please leave the 2nd Amendment ALONE!. It`s the libertards who are the problem in this Country.
    The states are violating the american citizens right to keep and bear arms. The 2nd amendment is worthless if you do not defend it.
    Richard58 likes this.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links