Concealed Carry Magazine - Page 3

Concealed Carry Magazine

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Magazine within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maria, First let me say thanks for writing the article. I disagree with you, but appreciate your views. While I can understand that hiding your ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Magazine

Maria, First let me say thanks for writing the article. I disagree with you, but appreciate your views. While I can understand that hiding your carry arms might be a tactical advantage, you might look at the open carry idea as an opportunity to educate people about firearms and self-protection.
    Criminals are not going to carry openly and neither are terrorists. I wouldn\'t call the cops over someone carrying openly nor would my wife.
    Im not a subscriber to the Concealed Carry Magazine but if this is a sampling of the articles you write for it, you hinder our cause more than help it. (And yes, I read what you wrote )

Hitman-thank you for your comments. At least you are honest and have actually read the article.

Spacemanspiff-how many times before Sept 11 did terrorist use airplanes as WMD? Sorry, pal, but I like to think outside the box, beyond what criminals have done in the past.

Anyway, I appreciate all this discussion, both in my corner and not. This will be my last post on this thread. Afterall, it is Christmas time and I\'m swamped with a long \"to do\" list.

Merry Christmas! or Happy Holidays!, whichever you prefer, the sentiment is still the same.

Maria Heil

Cool, did you subscribe?

Bumper are they a sponsor of this site yet?

~A

Originally posted by Bumper
    A magazine you guys may be interested in......

Concealed Carry Magazine

DC Founder
    Originally posted by nighthawk Cool, did you subscribe?
    I subscribed months ago. :)

Originally posted by APachon
    Bumper are they a sponsor of this site yet?
    No, they aren\'t sponsors, I just thought people would like to know that they were out there. Like us, they are just firing up and seem to be doing well. I was elated to find a magazine that focuses on CCW issues. I think they are going full color next month....

Yep -- this issue coming out is supposed to be full color. I think its a great mag that gets better with each issue.

Wow - tough crowd.

Considering that her article was under the \"A Woman\'s Perspective\" heading - and considering that she attempted to give the perspective of a \"non-gun\" female - I think she was on the money. If I saw a group of armed individuals enter my immediate vicinity (with or without my grandchildren) - I would promptly retreat too. Call the cops? Well - it would depend on how they are acting. As groups of armed men strolling around McD\'s is not something either I nor anyone else around here has seen much of - perhaps the cops should check it out.

As for the fear that her words might be used \"against\" us - how many antis do you think will read this magazine? And how effective would one of them be in \"using\" her words in any context anyway? Even the antis are learning that they\'re on the wrong end of the pendulum swing. Anti-RKBA sentiment is a big-time loser.

Personally - I think it is extremely valuable to hear the perspective of someone who is uncomfortable with public open carry. I live in a rural area, and though legal, open carry is just not seen in this part of the country. Now that MO has LTC and car carry - I don\'t expect to see more of it either. But how can we possibly learn how to deal with those who are \"uncomfortable\" around armed citizens - unless we have at least a small idea of where they are coming from?

From where I stand - the case for promoting more frequent open carry is not even a matter of getting people \"used\" to seeing guns. Rifles and shotguns in window racks are nearly as common as pick-ups are around here. People already are used to seeing guns. And nearly everyone I have any contact with has no problem with concealed car carry. It won\'t be long before they will accept on-person concealed carry as a normal fact of life too. But why remind Josie Citizen that there are people walking around carrying handguns? What\'s the advantage? You lose any possible tactical edge by advertising that you are armed - so what\'s the gain? In all honesty - I don\'t really want to see a bunch of people packing openly either - for several reasons. I don\'t wear my politics, or my religion, or any other controversial topic out on my sleeve - why hang one out there openly on my belt?

I\'m not trying to stir this back up again - I just think the author made a positive contribution to the discussion and it\'s unfortunate she was flamed for it. As for me - I say, \"Thank you\" Maria.

FLM
    Revler, good post. Let\'s save our vitriol for the ant--gunners.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

open carry

I have not read Ms. Heil\'s article, but since this thread is related to open carry...

In my state (outside of Denver) open carry is lawful and if I saw someone with a holstered gun, I would probably think he or she was a police detective. I would never carry openly because just imagining doing it makes me feel like in one of those dreams where I am walking down the street naked. I would expect to attract every police officer within 5 miles.

I think the only way open carry would work is if nearly everyone did it. How\'s the bad guy going to select the biggest obvious threat for his first shot if everyone in sight is armed? And if it were the norm, people wouldn\'t automatically freak out.

Hi Folks,

I just placed my order for a year\'s subscription. BTW this is a great sight.

Gunz:kay:

im thinking about it i got one issue b4 and it was ok i hear it has improved since then

great mag got the last 5 issues:rock:

DC Founder
    Originally posted by FLM
    Revler, good post. Let\'s save our vitriol for the ant--gunners.
    I agree completely :kay:

Bravo3
    I agree, I think the shots at the writer may have been a little \"over the top\". She may not feel the same as some of us, but she IS one of us.

Wow, talk about getting raked over the coals. Poor Maria. I read the article and i concur to some extent. Open Carry is legal here in Vegas (Clark County). So I decided to call LVMPD and ask there take on it. The response I got was that although legal, the individual doing the open carry could be cited with inciting a riot as well as having the pistol confiscated if enough citizens called complaining about said individual. I think it is a public perception that the public at large needs to get accustom to.

I would be more ashamged of a mother who did not take her kids out of possible harms way than not. That is instinctive and shame on us for seeing it otherwise. I know that when walkign along the street, I move my wife to other side of me dependent on what I see or don\'t see so that I am between her and potential harm. Where is the difference? I think there is none..

I do not know how many IDPA/IPSC/3-Gun competitions I have been to, but I do know everyone there was open carrying. Did not bother me at all. Why??? Why am I more ok with open carry out at some abandoned quarry that at MickieD\'s or Taco Hell or any of the other places I love but can\'t eat at??? I have seen both men and women open carry in Clark County and yes I did go to a higher level of awareness, but after a little while of target assessment and awareness, I realized they were just excersizing their right to open carry. I would like to think Open Carry will be readily accepted by the masses but I think that is a pipe dream. I relish the fact I can concealed carry.

~A

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links