Concealed Carry Magazine

Concealed Carry Magazine

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Magazine within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A magazine you guys may be interested in...... Concealed Carry Magazine...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Magazine

DC Founder

Concealed Carry Magazine

A magazine you guys may be interested in......

Concealed Carry Magazine

Rickman
    I just subscribed this morning :)

I have had a subscription from the beginning. They have some great articles, and they just keep getting better. The magazine also interviews "regular people" who carry for each issue, they all have different stories and reasons for CCW. Which is great for showing to non-gun types of people who need help understanding “the whole gun thing”.(I have some liberal friends, that just don’t get it, yet.)

Concealed Carry Magazine

I hope some of the people here find this one better than most (or most all) of the gun rags on the news stands today. I know I have so far.

Article in CCW One of their writers a Maria Heil said she would call the POLICE if she was out in public and saw someone openly carry. Her opinion was that is INTIMIDATING Many states allow open carry and what people do in those states in not her concern. I am INTIMIDATED that she is allow to owne a weapon let alone CCW Gun writer gives the anti's more ammo. If you subscribe to CCW cancell If not don't waste your money .I cancelled my subscription after 1st issue what a overpriced peice of trash. This was reported on S&W board.

VIP Member
    Hi Michael T,

Maria Heil is the National Press Coordinator for Second Amendment Sisters. I just re-read Ms. Heil's article in Issue One of CCW and there is nothing of what you speak of in the article. If what you are referring to is quoted in another source, I would like you post exactly what she said and in which publication it was quoted, please.

(from a 2001 press release)
    Second Amendment Sisters (SAS) Reacts to the "Gun Stoppers" Program and the "ASK Program"

Austin, TX -According to a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review article by David Conti, dated Friday, August 24, 2001, "Local residents can get $125 or more by calling 911 to report people they believe are carrying weapons without a license, under a new program unveiled Thursday by Pittsburgh police." Gun Stoppers, which is paid for with a Federal grant, "...asks for residents to call police with the location and description of people they believe are carrying guns. In return, 911 operators will give the caller a secret code." This "secret code" will enable the caller to collect their bounty money later.

In searching for information on the "Gun Stoppers" Program on the Internet, we discovered that this has been linked with the "Crime Stoppers" programs in many areas. While anonymous information on crimes ALREADY COMMITTED may be a good way to help solve some crimes, SAS feels that this so-called "Gun Stoppers" program is fraught with problems.

Some problems arise because they are really asking people to TURN IN ANYONE they suspect is carrying a gun, since the ordinary citizen cannot determine if the gun owner is carrying legally or illegally. This can set up the scenario where the police are busy pointing their guns at innocent, law-abiding, concealed carry license holders more often than not.

There are also numerous ways that criminals can use this program to their advantage, either as a distraction tactic or as a way of determining if a victim they are stalking is armed or not. We also cannot discount the possibility of "revenge" calls. Also, will the innocent victim of the tipster have any recourse after having to go through such an ordeal as having police treat them as criminals and possibly confiscate their legally held firearm?

This program is an insult to all gun owners as it categorizes all gun owners as "potential criminals" Most chilling are the last two sentences of the Conti article, "In April, the ATF conducted a training session for more than 250 city and school police officers on how to identify someone who is carrying a gun illegally. "They are trained for certain things to look for...certain mannerisms and things people do when they're carrying a gun," (Pittsburgh Police Chief Robert W.) McNeilly said."....

Second Amendment Sisters is a grassroots organization dedicated to preserving the individual basic human right to self-defense.

Maria Heil
    National Press Coordinator
    Spokesperson
    Second Amendment Sisters
    877-797-4857
    www.2asisters.org

I have sent e-mails to the person who posted on S&W form and also to the mag. The way his orginal post reads new issue which is nov/dec.

VIP Member
    Thanks, Michael T. I'm hoping the other poster just misread what Ms. Heil wrote. If it's true, though, it'll be a big disappointment. There are pro-gun people who are against open carry, but they shouldn't foam at the mouth like an anti and get those who do carry openly in trouble. All they suceed in doing is shooting their own feet.

It's sad that the public has been conditioned to fear guns (and gun owners).

Betty the story in question is nov/dec issue pages 35-36 The part in Question has been reprinted at The High Road. Fromwhat I reading if she on our side were in trouble. She should have more sense than to write such dribble.

She may have not said it right.....

Yes she said she would call the cops if she saw some one open carrying, but she was talking about being in a store with her kids getting food(Probably a little over protective but that is a mothers job). Maybe she would or would not, that whole article doesn\'t matter to me as we can not open carry in my state any way.I am not defending her but just stating the hole thing ment nothing for me.

I did not like that article, or her statements about open carry, but rest of of the articles were much better than last issue. We should give them a chance, and offer help or sugestions, and get after the editer to stop slanted statements of that sort, not just write complaints on the net. This is the only magazine like it, and there is only one way to make it better.

VIP Member
    I'm going to copy/paste it here:

Quoting part of the article by Maria Heil, Concealed Carry Magazine November/December issue, page 35 - 36:

"The open carry camp saw carrying in the open as an opportunity to show others that just because one has a gun, one isn't intent on committing a crime. Actually, they said that it was one way to show people that gun owners are just normal people, and also as a way of initiating dialogue.

Now, let me tell you what I think, from the perspective of a woman and a mother. First of all, let me say that I conceal carry everywhere I can. I also openly carry only on my property.

If I was in a Starbucks or a Subway with my childrean, and men walked in with firearms openly carried, I would try to get the kids the heck out of there while I was calling the police. If I were there without the kids, I would probably be watching the armed men very closely while simultaneously preparing myself for confrontation and making my way towards the door. I certainly wouldn't take time to stop and chat!

Think about it! What would your reaction truly be?.......Can you imagine what the reaction would be from some women or mothers (or even some men) who only know about firearms through the mass media? Odds are it would not be a positive reaction that would initiate infromative dialogue."
    She's right about general public reaction to open carry - many would be afraid and/or call the police.

While she appears to be against open carry in public, I wonder if she\'s truly speaking about what she would actually do or just using herself as an example of a woman and mother in public. As press coordinator for SAS, she needs to be very careful about what she represents.

If she'd actually call the police, I think she's being irrational. I've come across a people open-carrying before, and it's their demeanor and actions that speak for them.

Ms. Heil is going to have to clear this up.

Excuse my spelling I am going to type the part in question.
    Quoting the section in question, fron Concealed Carry Mag Dec issue by M. Heil
    "If I was in a Starbucks or a Subway with my children and men walked in with firearms openly carried. I would try to get the kids the heck out of there while i was calling the police. If I were there without the kids, I would probly be watching the armed men very closely, while simultaneously preparing myself for confrontation and makeing my way towards the door. I certainly wouldn't take time to stop and chat"
    She writes for gun mags and carries concealed Who side she on and who would you feel safer with the men or her.

Please don\'t hang me....!

Holy Cow! I just stumbled across this forum and it sounds like you guys want to hang me! Two things. #1: I agree that Maria's column was questionable last month. We're getting lots of letters and she'll have to defend her article in the next issue's letters to the editor. Personally, I'd like to go to the shopping mall with my M1A slung across my back. #2 michael t; please give my magazine another chance... we've come along way in the last 9 months. We're very, very small and understaffed so please have a little patience. That is all for now. Sincerely,
    Tim Schmidt
    Publisher
    Concealed Carry Magazine

No hanging till after christmas. also you have mail.:D

VIP Member
    If Ms. Heil had bad wording and didn't mean to come across the way she did, her words will be happily taken out of context by the antis. If she did mean what she said, the antis will be jumping up and down in glee.

It amazes me that sometimes fellow gun owners can do more to hurt our own cause than the antis.

DC Founder
    I have been following this thread since the posting and pulled out the past issue (I have been a subscriber for 2-3 months now) that michael t referenced before Betty so kindly posted it here for us all.

I live in Arizona, an open carry state. I have open carried in my car for years but only on a couple of occasions carried openly while out of my vehicle. Here in Phoenix, people look at you funny because even though it is legal it is EXTREMELY uncommon to see. I ultimately decided that even though it was my legal right to open carry, I would not do so in public because I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I like having the right to carry openly, but in practice it just isn't everything its cracked up to be in a very heavily populated area. People don't know whether you are a good guy or a bad guy. If you have kids and family around I guarantee you won't take chances with their safety.

Now here's where I am probably going to get you all stirred up, michael. Mary Heil said, "If I was in a Starbucks or a Subway with my children, and men walked in with firearms openly carried, I would try to get the kids the heck out of there while I was calling the police. If I were there without the kids, I would probably be watching the armed men very closely while simultaneously preparing myself for confrontation and making my way towards the door. I certainly wouldn't take time to stop and chat!"

While I might or might not call the police (as Betty said, \"... it\'s their demeanor and actions that speak for them.\"), by default I would not. I would do exactly as Mary said with the exception of the text underlined above. But I absolutely would call Police if it appeared that these guys were about to commit a crime. Here in Phoenix, calling them would probably prevent a crime more often than not because you simply don\'t see people open carrying around here. If you called police in Precott, AZ however, the police would probably not even show up. It is somewhat common there.

There are many occasions where, when asked a question by the media, the person answering messes it completely up. Unless you frequently speak with the media I bet you would, too. I know I probably would.

If Mary Heil turns out to mean every word of what she said, she may not be a good spokesperson for the pro-gun cause. Since she seems to recognize that the right to carry is important I wouldn\'t brand her anything near a liberal anti-gunner. And I would not do so with Concealed Carry Magazine. I am encouraged that a magazine such as CCM has hit the market and I will support them because they are supporting my cause. They are supporting your cause, as well. I am rooting for their success. Every shred of good press that CCW gets I am ecstatic. I think CCM is a good magazine that will be a great magazine with our support. A lot of people are giving me a chance with this forum, I will give them a chance as well. If we don\'t, we may wake up and find they aren\'t in business anymore and we will all have to carry your own banner.

Just my opinion, worth about as much as you paid for it ;)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links