"Accidental" CW exposure

This is a discussion on "Accidental" CW exposure within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You will be amazed at what people fail to see!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: "Accidental" CW exposure

You will be amazed at what people fail to see!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

FL's gun laws were rewritten to cover an accidental exposure...not a problem here!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Here in Florida, nothing happens. A law was passed just this year thanks to the NRA to make sure CCW holders are covered if that happens.

As some have said, OC is legal in my state so if I accidentally "expose myself" it isn't an issue. But if you are going to CC, may want to make sure your clothes do the job. Sometimes you gotta dress around your gun. To me, concealed means concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    You will be amazed at what people fail to see!
    That's no joke. A new neighbor walked over into my yard to introduce himself and we stood there and talked for about an hour.... and only at the end of it did he realize I was open carrying a gun. He had no issues with it, and then we talked "guns".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Most people would never notice.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Senior Moderator
    I've been called to a man with a gun call. It happened here at the local steak house.

What I got from dispatch was " man with a gun complaint at So and So steakhouse. So off I went. I did ask if was emergent and the answer was that someone saw a gun and called it in.

You cant ever tell about this sort of thing, so one must proceed with caution. I got there and was met by the Assistant Manager, who happened to be a member of the gunclub that I am in, who was taught by my wife in the 9th grade, who I worked with his Dad for the last 20 something years. As a matter of fact, he got his gun permit from me. One could say that I knew him fairly well. I've been to his house. He met me at the door and was a bit agitated.

I asked what was up and he told me that some woman was driving on I-40 and decided to stop and eat. There was a man at the all you can eat buffet with a .45 in a IWB in the kidney position. He had been filling his plate and his shirt had ridden up over his holster and his gun was there for all to see. The woman that reported him was about to freak out because she saw a gun and was convinced that she was next on his list to kill.

Understanding that it was more than likely a mistake, I approached the guy while he as his wife was sitting at the table. I introduced myself, and explained why I was interuppting his supper. He apologized and gave me his DL and CHL which I ran. Everything came up good, so we talked a bit and that was the end of that.

Then it was the womans turn. I found out that she had been traveling across country and was visitng some relatives and on her way home. She was from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, and let me know in no uncertain terms that people carrying guns in public was illegal, dangerous, and ill mannered. Being the polite fellow that I am, I listened to her rant and rave about people that carried guns in general and that guns were the cause of all ill's that were known to civilization.

It was then that she tripped my trigger by informing me that I needed to arrest him and that if I didnt I would be derelict in my duties.

I had heard enough. I politely, yet somewhat forceably to as remove any doubt in her feeble Yankee mind informed her that in this state, such conduct was not only legal, but highly encouraged and also told her that it was entirely possible that she may have been the only one there that wasnt armed. I also enlightend her to the fact that most every state they she traveled though that was south of the Mason Dixon line had provisions for anyone that wanted to aquire a permit to be able to get it without any hassle or reason. I also gently reminded her that the laws were different in each state and that contrary to popular beleif, there really was more to the world than Massachussetts.

She shut up and left and I got the distinct impression that I might not have heard the end of it, but as it was I never heard another peep about it.

Really, how it is percieved is a local thing.

It could be that if the same thing had happened in say...BOSTON...the man would have been proned out at gunpoint,lost his permit and had to pay his lawyer 12,000 bucks to get his guns back after they seached his house and confiscated all of his guns, layed them all on the sidewalk for the world to see and called a news conference about the weapons cache he had in his home. The neighbors would display shock and disbeleif and say that he was such a nice guy that they would have never suspected...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I mostly CCW a G26 in the pocket of my cargo shorts. With all the stuff we stuff these days into our pockets, IE: cell phones, personal iPads, keys, wallets, mp3 players, you name it. Poofy pockets don`t get a second look these days. And as long as a pocketed gun or be itCCW`ed OWB or IWB, as long as it don`t scream = YO they got ah gun!! No one would be none the wiser.

Many years ago I ankle carried a snubbie revolver. While eating at a pizza place I had crossed my legs, inadvertently exposing my holster. A fellow patron leaned over and informed me I was showing. I thanked him and pulled my pant leg down. That was it. Don’t worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by owgem View Post
    Many years ago I ankle carried a snubbie revolver. While eating at a pizza place I had crossed my legs, inadvertently exposing my holster. A fellow patron leaned over and informed me I was showing. I thanked him and pulled my pant leg down. That was it. Don’t worry about it.
    This is very common with ankle holsters. Before I cc'ed, I outed a guy at work who crossd his legs and exposed a VERY noticable ankle holster with a G26. We were in the office, and it was a small group, and we were always working closely on projects. I teased him about it, and he got huffy and tried to pull is pants lower to hide it. It didn't work.

From my experience, ankle carry is the least discreet. Unless you spend every waking moment on your feet, you WILL expose you ccw nearly every time you sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    From my experience, ankle carry is the least discreet. Unless you spend every waking moment on your feet, you WILL expose you ccw nearly every time you sit down.
    I disagree. I believe it greatly depends on how large the gun is and what type of pants. I don't ankle carry often, but when I do it is a mousegun so it doesn't so much as even make a bulge in my jeans around my ankle. Now if I were wearing slacks and wearing a Glock down there.. then that might be different.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I think madmac was referring to the fact that when you sit, your pant legs ride up over your ankles for the most part offering an opportunity for the gun/holster to be exposed. Not necessarily the bulge produced by the gun, but the action of the pants when you move a certain way. When standing the pants will be at the lowest level on the leg/ankle/foot. When sitting they do ride up.
    MadMac likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I realize that not everyplace is like Idaho. I do belive that the HUGE majority of folks would a) never even notice ( I carry open alot and I've never seen any one act like they even saw a gun) b) Most folks, if you are acting normal, assume then it must not be a big deal. c) There will always be people who choose to freak out because anything they don't understand must be a threat.

My first exposure to an open carry was this big guy carrying a .44 mag ( chrome) in a western style holster, in a grocery store. I was shocked. I then noticed he was choosing produce JUST LIKE ME. Act normal, be normal. Get on with it.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I think nowadays a lot of 911 ops are smart enough to ask what the MWG is doing. Pointing it at someone or just shopping?
    Although the world would be a better place for it, don't count on operators to inquire about behavior. Soon as gun is reported its a wrap. I think its a reflection of the institutional attitude of the agency that runs the call center toward the armed citizen. Although beat cops commonly support the citizenry taking responsibility for their personal protection, many chiefs and mayors do not, which to me explains why the Fraternal Order of Police etc commonly come out against the liberalizing of firearm laws. WI Chiefs of Police opposing that state's carry provisions are a case in point. In fact, I don't know that I've EVER heard of a state's police chief association support a positive change to its state's gun laws.

Maybe in small towns the call taker might inquire to determine if a crime is or about to take place but that would be the exception IMO.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I think madmac was referring to the fact that when you sit, your pant legs ride up over your ankles for the most part offering an opportunity for the gun/holster to be exposed. Not necessarily the bulge produced by the gun, but the action of the pants when you move a certain way. When standing the pants will be at the lowest level on the leg/ankle/foot. When sitting they do ride up.
    Precisely my point. Thanks.

The guy in my example is about 6'5" and 285 lbs. He was wearing a suit. When he sat down the leg of his trousers rode up, exposing his whole rig. It doesn't matter if you are wearing slacks, jeans, khakis, pantaloons, trousers, cargo pants, Carhartts, or whatever. All pant legs ride up when you sit down - some, obviously, more than others. The baggier/longer the trouser leg, the less likely the opportunity to expose your rig. If you wear any kind of tailored clothing, the ankle rig is not a good solution.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links