CC in NC

This is a discussion on CC in NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick question for you guys. I understand the CC laws in NC referring to schools. But I have a question. My handgun stays in my ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MadMac
  • 1 Post By mwhartman
  • 1 Post By MadMac

Thread: CC in NC

CC in NC

Quick question for you guys. I understand the CC laws in NC referring to schools. But I have a question. My handgun stays in my car when it is not on my side. So where can it be to abide by the law and go pick my kids up from school? Trunk? Glove Box?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

If you are going to abide by the law it cant be on school property at all. You have to leave it at home. Does protecting your kids outweigh getting caught and going to jail? I hope one day in the near future we can get the laws changed to allow us to carry in schools in NC.

In NC there is a strict no firearms policy on educational property, you can not have them even in the vehicle when there.

It is a felony charge if you are found with a loaded firearm on educational property. Don't gamble on losing your ability to purchase and own firearms.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Not only is there "a strict no firearms policy on educational property", leaving it locked in your vehicle, even unloaded, is specifically spelled out as forbidden as a line item.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Not only is there "a strict no firearms policy on educational property", leaving it locked in your vehicle, even unloaded, is specifically spelled out as forbidden as a line item.
    But not a felony for that if you meet the other numerous requirements. It will be a misdemeanor but it still would cause you to lose your CHP

Here is the statute so you can read it verbatim.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL..._14-269.2.html

NOTE the definition of educational property at the top.
    Last edited by NC Bullseye; December 1st, 2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Added link to statute

Quote Originally Posted by jag06 View Post
    If you are going to abide by the law it cant be on school property at all. You have to leave it at home. Does protecting your kids outweigh getting caught and going to jail? I hope one day in the near future we can get the laws changed to allow us to carry in schools in NC.
    If the trip to/from the car after/before school (and to/from home) is that likely to result in the death of your children, wouldn't any sensible person opt for home schooling? I mean, it's not like you are there hovering over your little snowflakes with your firearm while they are in class. Ever heard of Columbine? The killers didn't exactly wait for dad to show up with his ccw before the shooting began. For many, the statisical likelihood of junior and sis dying in a car/bus crash is far more common.

...and before you bother to tell me, I know I'm a jerk. I am simply tired of this silly, old canard that you either have a firearm on you, or you're going to die. That's a strawman argument.

Your kids are in school all day without you and your gun. For most here, their spouse isn't armed when they go out solo. Another big chunk of you posters can't carry at work, yet happily cash the paychecks from employers who won't let you protect yourself with your gun.

The "no gun = likely death by violent assault" isn't a sensible discussion point. Even a huge percentage of the people who post here make a risk management decision to go unarmed to go to a restaurant, a job, a sporting event, a vacation, a school, or any number of places where they cannot and do not carry.

Is your life and those of your loved ones really worth that family trip to Cancun?

Is you life worth your trip to the Post Office?

Are you willing to gamble no violent killers are waiting for you and your kids inside Universal Studios?
    Last edited by MadMac; December 1st, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Majorlk likes this.

Thanks for the replies guys. My take is a little different than yours Madmac. I got a CCW because I don't know WHEN it might happen that I need it. I hope it is never in my life. But, I feel MUCH better with the gun in my car no matter where I go. My thing is what if I have been out all day or not going home after? I don't want to carry it to protect my kids. LOL!! I want it with me no matter where I go. It is insane that I have went through a thorough FBI background check and I can't carry in a post office or somewhere I paid money to get in or in my car on school property. What the politicians and obviously you fail to see is the criminals and law breakers WILL have their guns in those places. All that portion of the law does is affect LAW ABIDING citizens, not the criminals whom I am worried about.

Again, thanks for the replies guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    If the trip to/from the car after/before school (and to/from home) is that likely to result in the death of your children, wouldn't any sensible person opt for home schooling? I mean, it's not like you are there hovering over your little snowflakes with your firearm while they are in class. Ever heard of Columbine? The killers didn't exactly wait for dad to show up with his ccw before the shooting began. For many, the statisical likelihood of junior and sis dying in a car/bus crash is far more common.

...and before you bother to tell me, I know I'm a jerk. I am simply tired of this silly, old canard that you either have a firearm on you, or you're going to die. That's a strawman argument.

Your kids are in school all day without you and your gun. For most here, their spouse isn't armed when they go out solo. Another big chunk of you posters can't carry at work, yet happily cash the paychecks from employers who won't let you protect yourself with your gun.

The "no gun = likely death by violent assault" isn't a sensible discussion point. Even a huge percentage of the people who post here make a risk management decision to go unarmed to go to a restaurant, a job, a sporting event, a vacation, a school, or any number of places where they cannot and do not carry.

Is your life and those of your loved ones really worth that family trip to Cancun?

Is you life worth your trip to the Post Office?

Are you willing to gamble no violent killers are waiting for you and your kids inside Universal Studios?
    How did you get out of my post that I said if he did not have his gun with him he would die? He asked how to carry at school, I said it was against the law to have the gun on school grounds and to weigh his options, jail or no jail. I agree that it is unlikely that something would happen when picking up your kids, but what about when you stop at the gas station or store on the way home after picking up the kids? For the record my post was edited by a mod for mentioning that I knew of people who break the law and that left my post with no context even though I did not endorse it.

The local HS football coach had a loaded firearm in the center console of his vehicle. Sadly, it was discovered. He was fired and charges pending. I'd rather error with caution, I never take my firearms near any school (elementary, middle, junior, high, college, university, tech, religious)
    MadMac likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by T76 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. My take is a little different than yours Madmac. I got a CCW because I don't know WHEN it might happen that I need it. I hope it is never in my life. But, I feel MUCH better with the gun in my car no matter where I go. My thing is what if I have been out all day or not going home after? I don't want to carry it to protect my kids. LOL!! I want it with me no matter where I go. It is insane that I have went through a thorough FBI background check and I can't carry in a post office or somewhere I paid money to get in or in my car on school property. What the politicians and obviously you fail to see is the criminals and law breakers WILL have their guns in those places. All that portion of the law does is affect LAW ABIDING citizens, not the criminals whom I am worried about.

Again, thanks for the replies guys!!
    I am not sure where I said I always knew WHEN a violent assault could happen. Obviously, no one does, and yes, anything could happen to anyone at any time. It's a matter of practical risk management. The likelihood of ending up like the football coach above (to me) is far more likely than needing my firearm to defend my kids picking them up after school. Now it's likely the coach will be legally denied his rights to own a firearm for the rest of his life.

Unlike you, I am forced to make many personal risk management decisions regarding my firearm. One is, I don't carry illegally. I also travel frequently to places that don't allow me to carry: NYC, overseas, California, etc. I decided when I got my CHP, I wasn't living my life around my gun. I haven't needed one for over half a century - even through I used to live a more dangerous lifestyle (sadly, by choice). Life is risky. If I die from a violent assault when I am not carrying, so be it. I have a solid Plan B: $1.8M in insurance for my wife, with our homes, vehicles, and possessions in a revokable trust.
    Majorlk likes this.

Links