Personal Security

Personal Security

This is a discussion on Personal Security within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I think its pretty safe to say that we are all here (on this site) because of our common interest in protecting ourselves and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Personal Security

Personal Security

As I think its pretty safe to say that we are all here (on this site) because of our common interest in protecting ourselves and our loved ones... I think we often overlook (at least in conversation) the personal security big picture. Yes, we always have our most trusted and favorite sidearm at our... side, but what about local area situations? We all know the "bad areas" around where we live, but what about where we travel for work, and haven't been before? I find myself using a few tools between my computer and smart phone that I wanted to share, but I'm also interested in what else you guys are aware of / frequently use to assist you in similar situations.

I've been using the site (and accompanying iPhone app): www.crimereports.com. You can set up email alerts for specific crimes in a given area, and search the map in near real time. Reports are based off of local PDs and a few federal level crime agencies. Unfortunately, I don't believe this particular resource has an Android app. Not sure about BB or any other mobile platform.

The other iPhone app I've been using is 5-0 radio (there are lots of alternatives I know - I'm not promoting one over the other, I just started using that one before any others). Since this is a simple police / emergency channel scanner, I find its a good way to keep aware of things going on around me in very near real time. I know there are also several options for police scanners on Android, again, not sure about BB or any other platform.

So what do you use to keep track of whats going on in your local area? I find this also helps raise my situational awareness as well. Any recommendations are welcome!

OpJ

Except for smaller towns and rural areas, scanner-receivers are becoming the walking dead for police monitoring since there's been a large push recently for many larger LE agencies to start converting to voice-encrypted communications regardless if their radio communications are based on standard simplex, repeater, voted-repeater, or trunked systems - just to keep the BGs from always knowing what's going on and staying a step ahead of them.

VIP Member
    I just pretty much assume that I'm walking through the valley of the shadow of death. It's a given that something bad/stupid is going down within a 20 mile radius of me on any given day.

Bad things happen even in low crime, good areas. I prefer to just maintain a level of readiness.
    killingjoke and CCBob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Except for smaller towns and rural areas, scanner-receivers are becoming the walking dead for police monitoring since there's been a large push recently for many larger LE agencies to start converting to voice-encrypted communications regardless if their radio communications are based on standard simplex, repeater, voted-repeater, or trunked systems - just to keep the BGs from always knowing what's going on and staying a step ahead of them.
    Yeah, I remember reading something about that recently I believe on Fox. I can understand the concern that LE has in that regard, but I think there is going to be a back-lash for the law-abiding citizens just like there is right now for video recording LEOs in public.

Rule of Three Stupids.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Rule of Three Stupids.
    Couldn't agree more... but as with traveling for work, you may not always have a choice. IE - in a couple weeks, I have to travel to a really not great area in Louisiana for work.

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    Couldn't agree more... but as with traveling for work, you may not always have a choice. IE - in a couple weeks, I have to travel to a really not great area in Louisiana for work.
    I travel a whole heck of a lot for business. I have been to all but one continent. Latest adventure was Beijing. Next week is Boston, DC, then home. The Rule of Three Stupids works everywhere. That said, I am not a process server, private investigator, cable guy, recreational drug salesman, or pimp. In short, I'm not feeling you.

Even if I stay at a nice downtown hotel, I don't wander the streets alone at night, although in certain towns I know well, I'll walk a couple blocks to a nice restaurant or pub. I don't go down dark alleys, wander alone in unpopulated areas, or stay in ratty motels near the freeway.

A couple months ago, some slickster plopped his butt next to me at my hotel bar and started laying a rap on me about how good a financial planner he was. He was dressed to the nines, had a fancy watch, and was showing me how he had to dry out his wallet and "inadvertantly" displayed all the credit cards in his wallet. He was name-dropping with no end. I accepted the free drink he bought me, then excused myself, went to my room, and tossed his business card in the trash. That's the kind of shady operator I am most likely to meet.

I guess it depends on your job. Good luck. Be safe.

MadMac, There are those of us that are not as fortunate as you. Some of us have to go where the job takes us and cannot write off nicer hotels. We do keep our guard up and stay alert. Because we cannot afford the higher road does not mean we do the " three stupids".
    Semper Fi

I had to travel to East Saint Louis a number of years ago. The man I was setting up the time with and getting directions from actually said " if after this point you feel lost do not stop! return to this point at least and call me" After I made the trip I could see why. I do not think I would have felt comfortable with out at least myself and 2 others with 12 gauges. Why anyone would stay there was beyond me. You would have been safer in the middle of the country living in the ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    MadMac, There are those of us that are not as fortunate as you. Some of us have to go where the job takes us and cannot write off nicer hotels. We do keep our guard up and stay alert. Because we cannot afford the higher road does not mean we do the " three stupids".
    Semper Fi
    I've had to go to some shady places because of business, sometimes you need to do what you can do to earn a buck.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Crimereports.com can be misleading. I did a search of my shop's zip code (surrounded by Section 8) and ALL CRIMES as far back as it would let me. It showed 1 incident (drug paraphernalia). Then I did a search of my home zip code (the burbs), and it lit up like a christmas tree (500 incidents).

If you knew the neighborhoods.....

I keep one hand on my EDC and my head spinning like a radar dish when I leave my shop at night. When I'm around my house I'll walk to the gas station a mile away in the middle of the night, without a second thought.

I move through out life 'expecting' that something WILL happen...stay in yellow.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I just pretty much assume that I'm walking through the valley of the shadow of death.
    That's kind of funny/awesome in a weird way.

Ouch. Someone on the other side of my neighborhood had a breaking to his car on 11/23 and they stole a Glock 22, two spare mags and a Fobus holster.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    Ouch. Someone on the other side of my neighborhood had a breaking to his car on 11/23 and they stole a Glock 22, two spare mags and a Fobus holster.
    Some crooks have no taste. Fobus holster, indeed.
    BkCo1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links