Attorney

This is a discussion on Attorney within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Divebum47 My attorney is a personal friend. However, I don't keep her number in my phone. And if it came to the ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Attorney

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    My attorney is a personal friend. However, I don't keep her number in my phone. And if it came to the point where I needed her, I'd have my wife or my daughter or another family member call her. I don't want even the remotest chance that the prosecution would use the fact that I have an attorney's number in my phone as a sign I had planned on using my weapon. Call me paranoid, but the government is out to get me. (and you, too)
    Right you are. This is exactly why I have my gun lawyer's number committed to memory.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefrq View Post
    I am a member and found an attorney (Criminal Defense) through the ACLDN and have his name, number and email stored in my phone. He doesn't charge until he has to work, so basic questions are free. Once something happens that he will have to "work" on, then he will discuss the fees at that point. He told me if I'm ever involved in a situation to K.Y.B.M.S. and contact him immediately by any possible means.

It's the same when I'm riding my motorcycle; I don't plan on getting in an accident, but I'm as prepared as possible. I don't plan on ever needing his services, but it makes me feel better knowing I have someone to call.
    Same here, I am also a member of the ACLDN(Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network) and I contacted an affiliated Attorney and spoke with him and he told me the exact same thing. I keep his Office and Cell Phone Number on me at all times when I am out and about in public. I hope I never have to use it but it is a possibility, sad but true.

I am glad to see ACLDN members taking advantage of our growing list of attorneys, and getting that critical contact made. Good job.
    Marty Hayes, President
    Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I didn't mention the co-mingling and trust account issues because that was beyond the scope of the question, and most of the members here are not attys. But I think the point the poster was emphasizing was made.

This retainer issue comes up a lot - seems kind of odd that it does.
    It's not beyond the scope of the question once Madmac makes a statement that is not correct.

Whenever the subject does come up, you can count on him to show up and have his strong opinion. We've discussed it in the past and have agreed to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Right you are. This is exactly why I have my gun lawyer's number committed to memory.
    It is an angle I have not considered. Have you ever heard of anything like that happening?

Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    It's not beyond the scope of the question once Madmac makes a statement that is not correct.
    Please cite the statement I made that was "not correct".

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Please cite the statement I made that was "not correct".
    It was this part:

Any attorney who accepts an interest-free loan as a "retainer" for services he/she is very unlikely to perform is not a good attorney. Give me an indefinite interest-free $500 loan, and I'll give a business card from a very good attorney, too. Plus, I promise to give the money to the attorney you choose when you need them.
    where you refer to a "retainer" as an "interest-free loan."

I'll accept your correction although I think it's a distinction without a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I'll accept your correction although I think it's a distinction without a difference.
    But there is a distinct difference. As I mentioned above, an attorney cannot use client funds for any purpose other than billing that client. Period. Any other use of those funds is a very serious violation of ethics.

Let's say Joe the attorney has a client who gives him a $10k retainer for some work that will be coming up soon. Joe cannot use any of that "in the meantime" with the intent on putting the money back later. That is what is meant by "co-mingling" of funds and that is why client funds are put in a specific trust account separate from any other firm accounts.

I accept your correction, and retract my inaccurate portrait of the retainer as an interest-free loan - especially as you have characterized it.

I do appreciate the fact you use a much more likely and legitimate use of the legal retainer as a $10K payment for work coming up soon. That's how I understand retainers to work.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links