Attorney

This is a discussion on Attorney within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone keep an attorney on retainer in case you do have to use deadly force against a BG?...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Attorney

Attorney

Does anyone keep an attorney on retainer in case you do have to use deadly force against a BG?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I don't

VIP Member
    This comes up periodically.

I have a number of a good local attorney to call, and I don't pay a retainer. I don't know why anyone would?
    Hopyard likes this.

Go to a good defense lawyer and ask his/her advice on post shooting contact with the police. Take one of his/her business cards and carry it at all times. Then if you are involved in a shooting you have established a relationship with that lawyer.
    JerryMac likes this.

This has been discussed here before, IIRC, a retainer sorta kinda doesn't work that way anyway... Bill Lindsay's advice is probably a good course of action... you might want to talk to several lawyers, and find one that is in criminal defense with trial experience.

I know, you're not planning on being a "criminal" but if you are charged with a crime, or even detained for one, you will have "become one" in the eyes of the law.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Look what topic is back!

How many people are you planning to shoot before your attorney retires? Are you Clyde Barrow or John Wesley Hardin, and think this would be a good use of your money given the likelihood of you shooting someone?

As oakchas says, this is not how a "retainer" for legal services works. I'll step aside and let the real attorneys chime in.

H*ll no !! I'm not about to give some bloodsucker money for not sucking !!! Remember our government is being run by lawyers, and look at what's going on. Kind of like having the fox watch the hen house. Way too many lawyers in this country wanting to sue for any reason and anybody. Also getting paid buy the government, ( our money ) to defend criminals that there is not doubt of their guilt. That's why it takes 15 to 20 years to get a death sentence carried out. I could say don't get me started, but you already have !!!!
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Took a class on the legal aspects of CC and shootings. The lawyer that taught the class recommended you find a good criminal defense attorney, and keep his number in your phone, and if you need one, shut up and call him.

Simple and straightforward.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post
    Took a class on the legal aspects of CC and shootings. The lawyer that taught the class recommended you find a good criminal defense attorney, and keep his number in your phone, and if you need one, shut up and call him.

Simple and straightforward.
    Good post! I have a client that has legal representation and I have always thought I could call him if SHTF however I have never spoken to him about this. Now is probably a good time to do so. This is something I think all to many, myself included, put off.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbrow6272 View Post
    Does anyone keep an attorney on retainer in case you do have to use deadly force against a BG?
    No. Of course not. That money would be better spent taking out some additional life or health insurance.
    jonconsiglio likes this.

One option that might be a good fit for some folks is PrePaid Legal. My plan was $25 per month for most things I would need an attorney for...document review, drawing up contracts, wills, etc. $1 per month extra gives you 24 hour access to a pool of lawyers in the event of arrest and provided for a certain number of trial hours. When I used to travel 3-5 days out of the week and had the opportunity to carry in other states, this was nice piece of mind. They even provided wallet cards with instructions to the police that said you were represented and you were invoking your right to legal counsel upon presentation, with contact information for the hotline. Local attorneys contract with them at a national level, so one call would get the process rolling and a local attorney on his/her way to help you.

Although I don't have it right now, I plan on signing up again at the beginning of the year.

My wife had something similar through her employer. I think it was $7 per check or $14 per month. We had it for a while and used their lawyers to review some documents and other such things. Decided to drop it a few years ago as we almost never consult attorneys if it can be avoided. Not sure it would be a good investment, unless you travel and your local lawyer would not be much good in another part of the country.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Look what topic is back!

How many people are you planning to shoot before your attorney retires? Are you Clyde Barrow or John Wesley Hardin, and think this would be a good use of your money given the likelihood of you shooting someone?

As oakchas says, this is not how a "retainer" for legal services works. I'll step aside and let the real attorneys chime in.

Ok JonConsiglio! This is your time to chime in!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The thickest part of the Yellow Pages is the listing of attorneys. Are you concerned that you might not be able to find one if needed?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

How often to you intend on having to shoot someone? Might want to think about a location swap!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links