Gun Advertisments on TV

This is a discussion on Gun Advertisments on TV within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy I think Jack Bower needs to get a Kimber! But first he needs to get away from the Chinese. BTW. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Advertisments on TV

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I think Jack Bower needs to get a Kimber!
    But first he needs to get away from the Chinese.

BTW. We do get Gunshow ads on TV out here, and one of the local sporting goods stores, Green Top, advertises firearms specials, as well as other specials, on TV. But I haven't seen any "brand specific" ads.

Quote Originally Posted by hurst1911a1 View Post
    to #8 dakotaranger, jack bauer carries a sig most of the time.
    A man after my own heart.
    Last edited by p8riot; August 16th, 2006 at 06:24 AM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    CSI Miami is another good show to watch for Sigs and HK's....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Emily Proctor can test fire my guns anytime!!

Same reason you don't see advertisements for Maybach and Bentley I suppose. They are clearly intended for those who crave, and can afford, the finer things in life.

I have seen local ads for firearms on West Virginia TV stations so I do not think there is any law against it, at least not in WV.

valian

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by hurst1911a1 View Post
    to #8 dakotaranger, jack bauer carries a sig most of the time. but he sure does love that pistol grip shotgun. just tought i would put that out there.

PS i would help finance that kimber superbowl ad, i have already given them about two grand.
    Actually, he carried a SIG the first couple of seasons, and then switched to an HK. I think it was season 3 that he switched.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I don't know why companies don't do ads (it's not illegal) because the local stations run ads for the local range all the time.

It would be nice to see ads from Kimber, Sig, etc.. Just like you never seen alcohol (liquor) ads until a couple of years ago. (at least I never did before).

Regardless of laws, media people would refuse ads for firearms due to liability ramifications.

In the litigious society we live in, when someone is shot (even armed robbers) their fast layers sue anything and anyone who is somehow connected to the case. They are especially aggressive with those with deep pockets, such as media outlets.

I can hear in my head a lawyer blaming the TV station for airing a commercial for a gun and by that “convincing” someone they are in danger and “encouraging” them to shoot, and so on and so on…

-- FD
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Is there anyone here that works for a TV station?

I can not imagine that a TV station has that much control over what they can allow as a paid advertisement.

I have heard this before on this forum that the TV Stations would not allow that kind of ad when I asked about doing a Armed Citizens News Cast as an advertisement during the news, and I just don't think they can turn down advertisements for legal products, other than Cigarettes and that is by law.

I know there are a lot of people that are anti gun and that is exactly why I would like to see gun ads on TV, but TV stations thrive on the 1st amendment.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Yes, they can refuse any advertisment. I worked for the largest newspaper publisher in the US, and the local publisher has refused all kinds of ads that didn't meet certain criteria.

The "criteria" could be anything from questionable products, to language, to pictures, to products competing with other well-paying advertisers...

-- FD
    ------------------------------>
    Shoot Straight

TV stations are licensed by the FCC, newspapers aren't, they, t.v., have to grant equal access. The target market for guns can be reached at a cheaper more cost effective way by other means, such as sporting mag's etc.. Much like a few years ago when liqour companies started advertising on t.v. people were questioning the legallity, stations questioned, no laws prohibiting they just didn't want to. Things changed, money needed to be made, and now they advertise. It's all about the money!

Unhappy

thank you jt, i owe dakotaranger and opoligy. about 4 oclock this morning i whipped out season 3, and there was the ol' h&k. my bad

The target market for guns can be reached at a cheaper more cost effective way by other means, such as sporting mag's etc..
    I never thought about that. I'm sure that it is less expensive to print an add in a gun mag (since gun nuts read gun mags so they know they are getting their targetted customers) then have a t.v. commercial. (see how many bad puns that I can make in one sentence ).

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm sure that it is less expensive to print an add in a gun mag (since gun nuts read gun mags so they know they are getting their targeted customers) then have a t.v. commercial.
    IT IS NOT THE GUN NUT THAT NEEDS TO BE REACHED. I am sorry I was yelling.

OK, we the American people, have a problem that we are losing our Constitutional right to keep and bear arms slowly but surely.

First They Came for the Jews
    First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

You and I do not have the money to wake up the people of the US, the NRA does not seem to care about changing the hearts and minds of the general public and without changing the hearts and minds of the general public we will fail. We have a country to lose but bit by bit. The gun industry has the most to lose in the short range and they have the money to make changes in the hearts and minds of our fellow Americans.

Maybe there are some television stations out there that will not take an ad from Smith and Wesson on the virtues of owning a gun for your protection, but some will I am sure. If Glock would run some ads telling armed citizens stories, and Mossberg would tout the families that were saved with there products maybe the general public would start to get the picture that CHL holders are really not just the good guys but the great guys.

There is quite a bit of talk about sheeple in this forum, but why are there so many sheeple? You think that just maybe the sheeple are really just people that need to be taught some fundamental truths. Do you think they are going to get those fundamental truths from Larry King, and CNN?

I don't know if this post makes any sense, I am sure that someone understands what I am trying to say and can say it better.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    the major media, TV being the majority of that is run by gun grabbing liberals. They love to place the blame on the gun and not the degenerate punk using it. They would never allow kimber or anyone else to advertise on their stations. that would cause killing, destruction, and mayhem in the streets.
    Last edited by snowdoctor; August 16th, 2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links