Leave my gun where??? - Page 3

Leave my gun where???

This is a discussion on Leave my gun where??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SFury If you are a CC permit holder in Wisconsin, the USPS parking lot ban holds no water. We are guaranteed the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Leave my gun where???

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    If you are a CC permit holder in Wisconsin, the USPS parking lot ban holds no water. We are guaranteed the right to keep our firearms in our vehicle in any parking lot despite what any policy says.

All states should have that simple right given to law abiding citizens.
    Considering the prohibition is FEDERAL law, I wouldn't bet too much money on that. I've never seen a situation where state law trumps Federal law, without Federal permission.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Yes, the postal service is a business. Just because it is run by the government does not mean that it is NOT required to follow the same rules as any other business.
    My friend, you are living in a dream world.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Interesting to note that even carrying your swiss army knife in your pocket is illegal if you are in the post office. Blades must be less than 2-1/2 inches.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

What is the law on this subject if the post office is closed and I'm just checking my P.O. Box with not a soul in the place? Can I carry or is it still a federal building is a federal building?

Quote Originally Posted by docdozer View Post
    Interesting to note that even carrying your swiss army knife in your pocket is illegal if you are in the post office. Blades must be less than 2-1/2 inches.
    You don't say? :)

Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    What is the law on this subject if the post office is closed and I'm just checking my P.O. Box with not a soul in the place? Can I carry or is it still a federal building is a federal building?
    It never stops being Federal property.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    It never stops being Federal property.
    Figures "shakes fist in the air"

The bad guys don't have to follow rules :(

Administrator
    I deleted several posts referencing illegal actions; Please use the gray matter between your ears, both here on DC and on the street. God gave it to you for a reason.
    "Just blame Sixto"

These are STATUTES - Not Regulations. Big difference. Here is some more information: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf
    Even the title says regulation. The article also deals with FFL licensees.

This is where we almost need a lawyer versed on the specific topic.

I am aware of pre-emption, and what it is. The only reference I can find to banning firearms on USPS property comes from a regulation that the USPS has.

It appears that if any governmental agency makes a regulation, it has to adhere to the nature of that organization. Basically, the FDA can't regulate anything to do with immigration. The BATFE can't pass regulations on emissions and so on, and so forth.

The question here is, does a state law pre-empt a regulation that has no bearing on the duties given to an organization?

Oh, and the Colorado couple has no real bearing on the argument. They are taking the battle to the federal level, whereas I'm arguing about a states right to govern itself as the founders intended. Well, contemplating at any rate.

You need something like this. I would never leave a gun in a locked vehicle.Here in Nassau County it is against the regs to leave a firearm in a vehicle.

Console Vault™ - Ford Expedition 2000-2006

This is the LAW - the STATUTES, THE US CODE: 18 U.S.C. 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities These are NOT regulations.

The LAW, at 18 U.S.C. Sec. 930 Prohibits guns on federal property as defined therein INCLUDING USPS property which is federal property. This is not hard, and this is a LAW - A STATUTE - NOT a regulation.

I also said: I DID NOT say the additional information was all statutes to the exclusion of regulations.

Since an "Agency" did not write the prohibition as part of their regulatory promulgations, because the prohibition is a LAW, your logic regarding preemption fails.

Oh, and the Colorado couple has no real bearing on the argument. They are taking the battle to the federal level, whereas I'm arguing about a states right to govern itself as the founders intended. Well, contemplating at any rate.
    It is a matter for the Supreme Court IFF they determine it is a Constitutional matter and they grant certiorari. Same as you. Go to the USPS, and see if you get to pass go on the way to the Supreme Court.

You carry a weapon into a USPS you'll end up in the federal Courts faster than you can say USPS, and the state courts can't do a darn thing about it. Sorry. Fail. The US Attorneys don't give a darn what some yucky yucky state says about doodle or squat. You break US CODE and you play with the big boys.
    Majorlk likes this.

The few time's I've gone into a PO (once, maybe twice), I've left the pistol in the glovebox of my car. I left the car parked on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldUSMC View Post
    And I don't wanna hear the old "don't give your business" sometimes you have to mail a letter lol
    thanks fellas.
    Don't give them your business:
    http://www.theupsstore.com
    http://www.goinpostal.com

There's quite a business for these places, these are just two that I've dealt with personally. The nice thing about them, you can get your mailbox without having a PO Box address... so you can get your shipments from UPS, FedEx, etc, people don't have to have your real physical address. And they all let you send and receive USPS mail.

There are also lots of those little blue mailboxes on the street if you don't want to do that.

mel5051 and MadMac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I have a Gunvault for those moments... the lock and key one, nothing special but it's better than nothing. I have it cabled to the seat mount and locked at all times.
    I have exactly the same set up. I bought the case from Cabellas. It comes with a cable to lock it to the seat frame. The only thing I didn't like is the way the notch in the case is for the cable is wrong, I took a dremel and made a notch in the opposite side of the case for the cable so I could attach the cable to to lock and have the cable under the foam so it wouldn't scratch my gun.

Sixto, thanks for saving the thread lol.

Sorry some of you guys are taking the post office thing so literal. I just meant what do you usually do when you can't or don't want to bring your weapon into anywhere for any reason. For me, I don't see any difference in a locked glove box vs a lock box under my seat. Both have the same probability of getting opened. I guess it's a force of habit being a Marine and coming on base I just lock my gun in the glovebox and toss the mag behind the back set into the trunk and I'm legal on base. So off base I do the same.
    Rock and Glock and mel5051 like this.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldUSMC View Post
    Sixto, thanks for saving the thread lol.

Sorry some of you guys are taking the post office thing so literal. I just meant what do you usually do when you can't or don't want to bring your weapon into anywhere for any reason. For me, I don't see any difference in a locked glove box vs a lock box under my seat. Both have the same probability of getting opened. I guess it's a force of habit being a Marine and coming on base I just lock my gun in the glovebox and toss the mag behind the back set into the trunk and I'm legal on base. So off base I do the same.
    My point was simply that I have a need for this kind of thing so rarely that it's not an issue. The post office gets my business, just not directly because I use other means of working with them than going onto USPS property. As a matter of fact, I hadn't been into a USPS Post Office for several years BEFORE I started carrying.

On the other hand, I also live in a state with very few restrictions on where one can carry... so the 'federal property' issue is about the only time it would come up. I don't know how things are in VA, maybe you have a lot longer list of places you can't carry than I do.
    Last edited by livewire; December 5th, 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typeo changed the meaning of my post...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links