Leave my gun where???

This is a discussion on Leave my gun where??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sixto, thanks for saving the thread lol. Yep....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Leave my gun where???

Sixto, thanks for saving the thread lol.
    Yep.

2. Remove Ads

Here in Tn, if I need to leave my gun in the car momentarily, I unload and lock it in the console or glove box. I pocket the magazine and keep my two spare magazines on me (weak side dual mag pouch).

Reasoning: Should some methhead steal or break into my car, better he has only my firearm with no mag/no ammo and not a fully loaded firearm.

If someone wants to complain should they see my mag pouch? Let them. Not much of a chance of danger from me throwing a bullet at them ;)
    McDonaldUSMC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    Figures "shakes fist in the air"

The bad guys don't have to follow rules :(
    That's what separates US from the bad guys; we DO follow the rules.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That's what separates US from the bad guys; we DO follow the rules.
    That would be why we call them "bad".
    McDonaldUSMC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I deleted several posts referencing illegal actions; Please use the gray matter between your ears, both here on DC and on the street. God gave it to you for a reason.
    You are just no fun.

Being new to concealed carry (just got my Wisconsin License) I ordered a gun lock box with cable from Amazon.
    Amazon.com: GunVault NV200 NanoVault with Key Lock, Fits Full Size 1911 Style Pistols: Home Improvement
    I drive a truck so under or behind the seat is my only option. My glove box does not lock and I have no console.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Now here is a question I am curious about. Are the "contract" post offices federal property? By contract I mean the ones that have signs saying operated by XYZ corp under license of the postal service and the employees are wearing street clothes. The one I am thinking of also has common plaza parking shared with other stores.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Now here is a question I am curious about. Are the "contract" post offices federal property? By contract I mean the ones that have signs saying operated by XYZ corp under license of the postal service and the employees are wearing street clothes. The one I am thinking of also has common plaza parking shared with other stores.

Typically yes... normally anything leased by or serving as a Federal office is considered federal property. You can't carry into the Army recruiting office in the mall, for example.

livewire9880, thank you for the clarification. I agree that the best approach is, when it doubt, don't bring it. or don't go.

On the subject of "leaving my gun where??", I had a similar situation this last weekend. I mention it because the situation does highlight the sort of things that we encounter. On Saturday, I picked my wife up from where she was working at a holiday market. On the way home she decided she wanted to stop at an ABC store for her choice of poison. The plan was that since I was carrying that she would go in and I would wait outside as the location is posted with gun-buster signs. There was a small crowd outside going in and out of the store that made her uncomfortable. They didn't look like bangers, but they didn't look like particular high caliber either, they were customers, but there were a fair number socializing outside the door, She didn't want to go in by herself. At the same time, I didn't want to noticeably "disarm", least one of them notice and decide that it is an opportunity to grab a brick and then grab a free gun. The choices: go home without (and listen to my wife), go to another store across town and hope for a different customer base (20 miles, 30 minutes with no guarantees), disarm and take the risks associated with that, or go in anyway and on the unlikely event that I am called out, leave.

livewire9880, thank you for the clarification. I agree that the best approach is, when it doubt, don't bring it. or don't go.

On the subject of "leaving my gun where??", I had a similar situation this last weekend. I mention it because the situation does highlight the sort of things that we encounter. On Saturday, I picked my wife up from where she was working at a holiday market. On the way home she decided she wanted to stop at an ABC store for her choice of poison. The plan was that since I was carrying that she would go in and I would wait outside as the location is posted with gun-buster signs. There was a small crowd outside going in and out of the store that made her uncomfortable. They didn't look like bangers, but they didn't look like particular high caliber either, they were customers, but there were a fair number socializing outside the door, She didn't want to go in by herself. At the same time, I didn't want to noticeably "disarm", least one of them notice and decide that it is an opportunity to grab a brick and then grab a free gun. The choices: go home without (and listen to my wife), go to another store across town and hope for a different customer base (20 miles, 30 minutes with no guarantees), disarm and take the risks associated with that, or go in anyway and on the unlikely event that I am called out, leave.
    Are you sure you can't carry in an ABC down there? We can in VA. Do they have a gunbuster sign on them?

Stick it in your glove box and do your thing, lock your doors.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    Are you sure you can't carry in an ABC down there? We can in VA. Do they have a gunbuster sign on them?
    Most, but I understand not all, ABC stores have gunbuster signs. Otherwise, carry is permitted.

As a CWFL licensee you can not have a firearm, even locked in your car, in the post office parking lot or building. The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the conviction of a man who had a handgun in his car in a USPS parking lot. They reasoned that all USPS property is a "sensitive place." under Heller.

There is another federal lawsuit challenging the ban. That case was originally dismissed but has now been amended and allowed to proceed. Read the links below for a good education on the topic.

Read Here: No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money: Bonidy v. USPS: Postal Service Moves To Dismiss
    Then here: No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money: Challenge To USPS Ban On Firearms Dismissed
    Then here: No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money: Bonidy v. USPS - Not Over Yet
    Finally here: Colorado couple's lawsuit over post office gun ban is allowed to proceed - The Denver Post
    I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.

Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    Founder, Florida Open Carry Movement

I'm not familiar with NC's legal code... do "gun buster" signs carry the force of law?

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    I'm not familiar with NC's legal code... do "gun buster" signs carry the force of law?
    Unfortunately, yes. To expand upon this a little bit, the state recently passed a law called H.B. 650 that took effect last week. This primarily enacted castle doctrine, but also eliminated restrictions on places such as parks, banks, and a few other odds and ends. There were a couple of items in the bill which would have addressed items such as restaurants, parking lots, etc but these were stripped out. A lot of communities have been using loopholes in the law to slap up gunbuster signs and notices in places like parks. Violation of a sign can earn you a 2nd class trespass charge, which is the lowest grade misdemeanor on the books but may still cost you your permit due to some very general wording in the concealed carry laws.

One thing I have noticed, though it is somewhat anecdotal and based upon memory is that the signs in ABC stores changed recently. I am certain that they used to have a big red warning about bringing a firearm into the establishment being a felony, but I haven't see one of those in a while. Instead they all say something to the effect of: "Per NC G.S. 514-(whatever it is), no guns allowed, concealed or otherwise." If they really feel the need and see value in posting, I would be happy with a no illegal guns, which would be just as effective and not infringe on legal carry.

From what I can tell, mostly from a (N & S) Carolina based forum, the pro-carry movement is gaining momentum and is building support for pushing to incorporate the things that were stripped out. I would like to see the effectiveness of signs being negated and college campus carry, or at a minimum allow storage in a locked vehicle on a campus.
    Last edited by noway2; December 6th, 2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added banks to the list

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links