Leave my gun where???

This is a discussion on Leave my gun where??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by noway2 Unfortunately, yes. To expand upon this a little bit, the state recently passed a law called H.B. 650 that took effect ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Leave my gun where???

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. To expand upon this a little bit, the state recently passed a law called H.B. 650 that took effect last week. This primarily enacted castle doctrine, but also eliminated restrictions on places such as parks, banks, and a few other odds and ends. There were a couple of items in the bill which would have addressed items such as restaurants, parking lots, etc but these were stripped out. A lot of communities have been using loopholes in the law to slap up gunbuster signs and notices in places like parks. Violation of a sign can earn you a 2nd class trespass charge, which is the lowest grade misdemeanor on the books but may still cost you your permit due to some very general wording in the concealed carry laws.

One thing I have noticed, though it is somewhat anecdotal and based upon memory is that the signs in ABC stores changed recently. I am certain that they used to have a big red warning about bringing a firearm into the establishment being a felony, but I haven't see one of those in a while. Instead they all say something to the effect of: "Per NC G.S. 514-(whatever it is), no guns allowed, concealed or otherwise." If they really feel the need and see value in posting, I would be happy with a no illegal guns, which would be just as effective and not infringe on legal carry.

From what I can tell, mostly from a (N & S) Carolina based forum, the pro-carry movement is gaining momentum and is building support for pushing to incorporate the things that were stripped out. I would like to see the effectiveness of signs being negated and college campus carry, or at a minimum allow storage in a locked vehicle on a campus.
    Well, I hope states like yours start seeing the light soon.

I don't even notice "no guns" signs anymore. My state has a list of places I can't carry. I memorized that list, and pay no attention to the signs because they hold no force of law here.

I did notice the sign at the theater Sunday when we went to see that stupid Twitard movie. I chuckled to myself as the employee checked my girlfriend's purse since I was the one carrying.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldUSMC View Post
    So today me and the wife are out and about running the usual Saturday errands and she says "oh pull into the post office" so I pull in and park and tell her I'll wait in the car... Federal building. Wrong response lol so I had to lock the glock in the glovebox and head in with her. Now I'm thinking of buying a gunvault and cable to stick under a seat or something. So my question to you guys is, what do you do in those kinda situations. And I don't wanna hear the old "don't give your business" sometimes you have to mail a letter lol
    thanks fellas.
    One question that's not addressed: why does your wife (or anyone) need to enter a federal post office? After a couple encounters with surly USPS employees, I made a pledge to simply never enter one again. I made that pledge about a decade ago, and have kept it.

I use a local pack-and-ship type place run by a nice local couple originally from India. They run a clean, efficient, and friendly business. They know me by name, and help with all my postal needs - even mailing letters for me. I can get a PO box there, and they accept packages for me as well.

Plus, there's no silly gun laws associated with their business, nor gun-busters signs.

If I get a registered letter from the USPS, I simply ignore it, or make them deliver it to me at home.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac
    One question that's not addressed: why does your wife (or anyone) need to enter a federal post office?
    Certified Mail (I'm asking)?

I find all these negative comments about the Post Office/Postal Service rather interesting.

Interesting because I have seldom, over the years, experienced any particular problems at the facilities or with the employees. The only real complaint has been often not enough clerks on duty. I'm in and out of POs on a fairly frequent basis and have never felt I was in any particular danger - and I do have pretty good situational awareness. BTW, I have lived all over the country, so my experience isn't limited to a single city, state or region.

I'm starting to put such comments in the same category as those who complain about restaurants that are posted and the people say, "that's OK. I wouldn't eat there anyway because their food is (insert derogatory adjective here), or I wouldn't shop at (insert name here) because all the sell is junk and/or all their stuff is from China.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

the reason for our visit was she was mailing something back to NY that needed to be weighed and sent certified... cant drop that kind of thing off at a blue box lol...
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I find all these negative comments about the Post Office/Postal Service rather interesting.

Interesting because I have seldom, over the years, experienced any particular problems at the facilities or with the employees. The only real complaint has been often not enough clerks on duty. I'm in and out of POs on a fairly frequent basis and have never felt I was in any particular danger - and I do have pretty good situational awareness. BTW, I have lived all over the country, so my experience isn't limited to a single city, state or region.

I'm starting to put such comments in the same category as those who complain about restaurants that are posted and the people say, "that's OK. I wouldn't eat there anyway because their food is (insert derogatory adjective here), or I wouldn't shop at (insert name here) because all the sell is junk and/or all their stuff is from China.
    I don't have a problem with postal employees. I have a problem with the wait, and the impatient and somewhat frustrating people who spend so much time there making idiots of themselves. I can go to a private mailbox, get better service faster, and not have to deal with the drama.

I used to have to go to the post office to pick up and mail out larger items when I lived in an apartment. The wait was what I hated. The personnel did an excellent job, but they oftentimes were not staffed fully at the teller windows.

Having a residence with a mailbox has been a wonderful change.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jign4bass View Post
    Don't make it a chore. Just put it in the glovebox or under the driver's seat, do your business and off you go.
    But don't be complacent, buy a safe...even a cheap one.

The GunVault MV500 works very well & is easy to use, IMO.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Certified Mail (I'm asking)?
    Good question. I haven't had need of certified mail in well over a decade. I am not why someone needs that service any more. As for a "certified" package - UPS and FedEx do that even better than the postal service. You get up-to-the-minute status checks on delivery, and a digital record of who signed for it. It doesn't matter if it comes from a postal carrier of a FedEx delivery person.

I don't do a lot of legal stuff via mail, so perhaps I am an outlier.

Don't understand why you needed to go in the post office. Was there a box that was too heavy? If there is no reason other than being pull by the nose by my wife I'll be in the car. Just saying!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bkenut View Post
    Don't understand why you needed to go in the post office. Was there a box that was too heavy? If there is no reason other than being pull by the nose by my wife I'll be in the car. Just saying!!!
    I usually use UPS to ship in the continental USA, but I recently needed to ship a couple boxes to Hawaii and the customer did not want to spend $70.00 per box to ship UPS. The cost for the USPO was $30.00 per box. They would not let me print the postage online, so I had to go to the counter. I guess for those instances I think I can pay a fee and have it done at the UPS store that I use. I'll have to check on it since I hate going to the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    I usually use UPS to ship in the continental USA, but I recently needed to ship a couple boxes to Hawaii and the customer did not want to spend $70.00 per box to ship UPS. The cost for the USPO was $30.00 per box. They would not let me print the postage online, so I had to go to the counter. I guess for those instances I think I can pay a fee and have it done at the UPS store that I use. I'll have to check on it since I hate going to the post office.
    It's been a while since I shipped via USPS, but if I recall, there wasn't any difference in cost at the USPO as opposed to the UPS Store. That was back when they were Mailboxes, Etc., so things might be different now I suppose.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links