What words to use when informing LEO

This is a discussion on What words to use when informing LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regardless of whether you agree with, or are required to inform an LEO that you are carrying (concealed)... what's the best *words* to use when ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What words to use when informing LEO

Regardless of whether you agree with, or are required to inform an LEO that you are carrying (concealed)... what's the best *words* to use when doing so?

Seems to me, saying "I've got a gun" is a bad plan... "I've got a CCW" might be misheard/ignored. "I'm carrying a weapon" might be good... what exact words have you trained yourself to say when you're stopped in traffic?

(BTW, been a lurker for a while.. first time post... be gentle. ;))

A good way of putting it might be to say, as you hand the officer your permit, "Officer, I have a license for a concealed firearm". The word "gun" should never be used, and by handing over your license first, it might make it go a little easier.
    oneshot, JerryMac and Secret Spuk like this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I reccomend informing the officer before reaching for that wallet, if he sees the weapon as you reach towards your wallet he might get the wrong idea. Something like before I get my ID for you sir, I want to inform you I am carrying a legally concealed weapon for which I have a license. How would you like to proceed. He will direct you from there. Most of the time i get something like, leave yours where it is and i will do the same
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Having been in this situation, I calmly said "Officer, I have a concealed weapon in a shoulder holster on my left side, I do have a permit". I had both hands on the wheel and asked him what he wanted me to do. He was appreciative and as my wallet was on the console he instructed me to get my license out, which I did slowly and deliberately. He took it back to his car, came back with a warning ticket (speeding) and thanked me again for informing him (it was Indiana, no obligation to inform). I am convinced my courtesy got me the warning only.
    RMS and JoeTiger like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

sgb
    "Officer in accordance with the law I must inform you that I'm legally armed."
    msgt/ret and Majorlk like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "I have a concealed firearm (gun, weapon, etc.) and a permit for it." No need to ask what you need to do, etc. They'll let you know.

FL issues CWFLs, Concealed Weapons and Firearms License, so any numbers of items may apply. Cops really don't care if you call it a gun, firearm, or weapon; they just want to know if you've got anything they need to be aware of.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    If you are in Ohio, the law is exact--deliberately cumbersome, perhaps, but exact:

"If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped, or knowingly fail to keep the licensee’s hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly remove, attempt to remove, grasp, or hold the loaded handgun or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee’s hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (E) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves. Additionally, if a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.04 of the Revised Code and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun.

If a licensee is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun at the time the officer approaches, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the licensee while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently is carrying a concealed handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the licensee is stopped or knowingly fail to keep the licensee’s hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly remove, attempt to remove, grasp, or hold the loaded handgun or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee’s hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves."

If a legally-armed citizen behaves as though they know what they are doing, there is a high degree of likelihood that the LEO will treat them in a similar manner. Here is what I teach in the course:
    The official Law Enforcement Encounter has begun when the disco lights appear in the rear-view. At that time, switch on the turn signal, slow and stop. Turn on the four ways, and if at night, the dome light. Roll down the driver's-side window or, if in the unlikely event the officer approaches from the passenger side, the passenger window. Place and keep both hands of the steering wheel. As soon as the officer has approached the window, take the initiative and announce, "Hello, Officer. I am a CHL (Ohio's term for a CCW permit) holder and am carrying a firearm. Do you have any instructions for me." Do NOT wait for for the officer to give you an opening to inform, because they might not. If the officer approaches aggressively or assertively, it is STILL your legal responsibility to PROMPTLY inform. Yes, a bad law we need to get rid of, but currently THE law.
    If a passenger in a vehicle, the above directions should be followed from the passenger's seat, with hands remaining in plain sight. Remember, it the the permit holder's responsibility to inform, not the driver's, or anyone else's. It is not the officer's responsibility to ask.
    Similarly, although NOT required by law, I advise students to similarly inform as drivers when they are not carrying a firearm, letting the officer know immediately know that status, as well.
    A friend of mine, according to his account, was once chided by an Ohio LEO for not informing him that he was a CHL holder during a PC traffic stop, even though he wasn't armed. The officer mistakenly advised him that it was a felony to not inform, regardless of carrying status.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    "Officer in accordance with the law I must inform you that I'm legally armed."
    That may be true in many states. I may be misinformed but I thought that in FL we were not obligated to inform in accordance with the law.

Heck. I can't remember the last time I've been pulled over. as the last time was in early 90's & had no permit, Though I did have a GUN & Did not inform ; ) PS If I informed, I'd just hand my permit/licence to officer & go from there
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

IF your forced to tell a LEO, you don't SAY anything. By the time he's at your windows you'd already have your DL & Reg for him, you just hand him your permit as well. Go from there. I got pulled over in NC once (must notify) gave him my stuff with my VA permit and he never mentioned it. But as it's been said, there is no GOOD way to tell a cop you have a gun. I don't get how some states don't know. In VA if my plates or license is run, my permit shows. So much easier.
    bigmacque likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    IF your forced to tell a LEO, you don't SAY anything. By the time he's at your windows you'd already have your DL & Reg for him, you just hand him your permit as well. Go from there. I got pulled over in NC once (must notify) gave him my stuff with my VA permit and he never mentioned it. But as it's been said, there is no GOOD way to tell a cop you have a gun. I don't get how some states don't know. In VA if my plates or license is run, my permit shows. So much easier.
    I would not recommend using that approach if you are ever stopped in Ohio.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk93 View Post
    A good way of putting it might be to say, as you hand the officer your permit, "Officer, I have a license for a concealed firearm". The word "gun" should never be used, and by handing over your license first, it might make it go a little easier.

^^^I'm liking this one^^^^^^^^^^^^

And will say something along these lines should I be stopped.

[QUOTE=Mike1956;2093350]If you are in Ohio, the law is exact--deliberately cumbersome, perhaps, but exact:

"If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped, or knowingly fail to keep the licensee’s hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly remove, attempt to remove, grasp, or hold the loaded handgun or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee’s hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (E) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves. Additionally, if a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.04 of the Revised Code and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun.

If a licensee is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun at the time the officer approaches, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the licensee while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently is carrying a concealed handgun; the licensee shall not knowingly disregard or fail to comply with lawful orders of a law enforcement officer given while the licensee is stopped or knowingly fail to keep the licensee’s hands in plain sight after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves, unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer; and the licensee shall not knowingly remove, attempt to remove, grasp, or hold the loaded handgun or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the licensee’s hands or fingers, in any manner in violation of division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code, after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the licensee while stopped and before the officer leaves."

QUOTE]

^^^^Sounds as though a Licensee in Ohio had better ride around with their lawyer .^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

^^^^Sounds as though a Licensee in Ohio had better ride around with their lawyer .^^^^^
    Unlike the internet, where we all get to be lawyers.

I thnk informing the officer that you have a license, to carry a weapon, and tell him where it is located as your hands rest on the stering wheel, then tell him where your liscense is at and he will instruct you on how to proceed from there.
    Tzadik and bigmacque like this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post

^^^^Some states realize^^^^^^^^^^

That just because the person to which the vehicle is registered to has a Permit to carry, others in their family, or friends, or the guy who just stole the car may not, which would lead to a false presumtion.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links