Virginia Concealed Weapon Application Question

This is a discussion on Virginia Concealed Weapon Application Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLUNTARILY ADMITTED TO A FACILITY OR ORDERED TO MANDATORY OUTPATIENT TREATMENT, OR WERE YOU THE SUBJECT OF A TEMPORARY DETENTION ORDER PURSUANT ...

Thread: Virginia Concealed Weapon Application Question

HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLUNTARILY ADMITTED TO A FACILITY OR ORDERED TO MANDATORY OUTPATIENT TREATMENT, OR WERE YOU THE SUBJECT OF A TEMPORARY DETENTION ORDER PURSUANT TO VA. CODE 37.2-809 WHO LATER AGREED TO VOLUNTARY ADMISSION UNDER VA. CODE 37.2-805? IF YES, COMPLETE FORM 2 PAGE 2 AS INDICATED BELOW. ( SEE NOTICE 4 PAGE 3)

I was involuntarily admitted to a facility about a year and half ago. At that time, I was recently prescribed adderall and was unable to sleep or recover from the crash so I binged for days. At that time was super paranoid and took off running after I saw a police car and got arrested. I was taken to the police station and was given no food for 12 hours. I was granted bail and should have left, however I was forced to speak with two psychologist I have never seen before. My main psychologist was declined inside the jail and I refused to speak with anyone else so they put me back in cell. Next thing I know I am taken from my single cell to this facility adjacent from the emergency room. I was only told "Your in the hospital." I was given a tooth brush and a hand towel and told to rest.

I wake up to twenty people in the hallway waiting on breakfast and I am so hungry at this point. I asked someone what this place was and they said a treatment center. I do nothing but eat and sleep, eat and sleep for week and half from adderall crash. From these observations the doctors who saw me defined me as socially withdrawn, does not participate in group activities, and depressed. "Not fit for society". I finally had the energy and the clarity to explain what had happened to a different doctor. She immediately sent in paper work for my release and I left the next day.

Two weeks later, I am in district court of appeals regarding the hospital stay. Prosecution did not have evidence to convince judge my involuntary stay was needed so the case was dismissed. The judge said the hospital stay is off my record and my firearm rights have been restored. Fast forward one year and my job is requiring me to obtain a concealed carry. Since the involuntary stay was dismissed and should never have happened, do I have to include this in my application?

The key statement is "Have you ever". Yes should be your answer. Then provide your documentation.

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Do you have the documents from the court and doctor? I would not lie on the application, but I would include the documentaion for clarification.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

but the fact still remains I should have never ended up in that place...my bail was paid and my ride was going to arrive in 5 minutes...I was being illegaly detained before the commitment decision was even made. Fact#1 why case was dropped. Fact#2 No doctor had probable cause I was a danger to myself or society. As the commitment was dismissed/not guilty so was my $19,000 hospital stay bill. To bad the question only asks yes/no/when and they do not want attached documents.

VIP Member
    IANAL so take my view for what it is worth. You were involuntarily admitted to a facility, the fact that it was subsequently deemed by the court as wrongfully, it did happen. Gather all of your court documentation and submit a copy with your permit application. The court will then decided if you shall be issued a permit or not. If denied you can appeal the decision. Not sure where you are in VA but remember, they have 45 days to either issue or deny your permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88xpservice View Post
    but the fact still remains I should have never ended up in that place...my bail was paid and my ride was going to arrive in 5 minutes...I was being illegaly detained before the commitment decision was even made. Fact#1 why case was dropped. Fact#2 No doctor had probable cause I was a danger to myself or society. As the commitment was dismissed/not guilty so was my $19,000 hospital stay bill. To bad the question only asks yes/no/when and they do not want attached documents.
    Actually you do need attachments.

FORM 2
    PART A COMMITMENTS TO THE COMMISSIONER OF BEHAVIORAL HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES
    DATE OF COMMITMENT:_______________
    DATE YOU WERE RELEASED FROM CUSTODY:_________________________________
    NAME OF COURT WHICH ENTERED THE ORDER: __________________________________________________ ________________
    LOCATION OF COURT (INCLUDE STREET ADDRESS, CITY, COUNTY, AND STATE)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    HAVE YOUR FIREARM RIGHTS BEEN RESTORED BY A COURT? ��YES �� NO
    IF YES, HAVE FIVE YEARS ELAPSED SINCE THE DATE OF RESTORATION? ��YES �� NO
    IF YES, ATTACH SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually you do need attachments.
    Reference to documents which gave firearms rights back..but i will send everything i have about case info anywayz

Links