CCW and Visiting Washington DC

This is a discussion on CCW and Visiting Washington DC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my situation. The wife wants to take a prolonged car trip from Illinois through various states, and also visit DC. I have permits that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: CCW and Visiting Washington DC

Here's my situation. The wife wants to take a prolonged car trip from Illinois through various states, and also visit DC. I have permits that allow for carry in those states, except I don't know what to do in DC. Handguns USA doesn't really help. For example. If we drive from say Virginia to DC to spend a night or two visiting sites, what do i do with my firearm? For example, (extreme), if I field strip the weapon, put the parts in a locked hard case, can I still enter DC? Can I stay at an hotel? Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Stay at a motel in VA and take the train into DC. Leave the gun locked in your car or motel room safe if it has one.

VIP Member
    DO NOT take a handgun into DC. Get a hotel in Northern Virginia and commute into DC by bus or train.
    ccman, NYCrulesU and phreddy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Like mrjam2jab and Archer51 said...DO NOT take your disassembled gun into DC; mere possession of ammo is an arrest-able offense (criminal charges per round of ammo). I hate to say it...if you take a knife, you severely limit your options to visit the museums, as all/most have metal detectors. Leave the knife at in your room (in the safe)

Think D.C. as one big playpen...one person poops, and they make everyone wear a diaper--and treat you as such.

Take your guns on your trip...stay in a hotel in Pentagon City, Arlington, Alexandria (or just farther south in Springfield) and take the Metro into D.C.--two reasons--parking is horrific for those who have to work there, driving is worse. Most to where you want to go and visit in D.C. is within 200 meters of a Metro stop. Check out Metro - Home page for maps and timetables.

Recommend securing your firearm in your hotel room safe (YMMV)...I've taken mine apart and cable-locked it while I was away. Re-assemble and arm-up when you get back to the free Commonwealth of Virginia...

Oh...and when it comes to guns, D.C. = Maryland.

I lived there for 8 years, commuted to D.C. & Maryland from Virginia...tough being a gun-owner with that kind of commute.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Another VA resident for NOT EVEN THINKING of bringing a gun into DC, in pieces or not! Stay in VA (much nicer anyways) and take the Metro into DC. Don't get it wrong, our Nations Capital is the LEAST American place there is! You think NYC and CA take your rights away? They've got NOTHING on DC!

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Pepper spray is legal in DC if registered with the police. Questions here are the logistics of buying, then registering (or vice versa?) and the fact that you are a non-resident. You'd need to find out. Also, this is when a good cane could be a life-saver if you had a bit of training.

On my last trip through DC I felt like I was driving through a 3rd world crap hole. That was about 18 years ago. I doubt it's any better now, and would be willing to bet it's a lot worse. Do NOT carry or bring your weapon into DC even if it's in parts.

I'm about 50 miles out of DC. near Warrenton, Va.
    (THANK GOD)
    If you want to leave it with me, send me a PM.
    I'll lock it up and ,since I'm retired, you can pick it back up anytime.
    Hey, I had a thought, maybe go to a gun store nearer to DC and ask them to hold it for you.

You know the more I think about that, maybe a business venture here.
    Post booths near "Off Limits" areas and charge for storage of personal protection items.
    What say?
    Anubis and dripster like this.

Good info from all above posts. I lived in Md and N VA for over 25 years and worked for a time in DC.

One other caution I would offer is to limit your after dark excursions in DC. If you do go out at night, always take a taxi and be cautious where you go. Most hotels//motels can give you advice. Old town Alexandria is a great place to stay, just across the Potomac.

There are also places to stay in nearby MD, but if it were me, I would stay in VA instead as MD is not gun friendly at all.

It is such a shame that so many wonderful sights to see and things to do lie within a city with so much crime.

Merry Christmas to all!

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

When u get to Maryland and DC take a look around and u will see what is living there. I do not go there anymore at all.

Wow.. I'm glad I saw this thread. I knew the gun laws in DC were bad. But I thought they had gotten better since the supreme court ruled the gun ban unconstitutional. Someday I want to visit the smithsonian. But it hardly seems worth it if I have to submit to being in a freaking war zone (that is how I hear the crime is around there) and not even be so much as able to have pepper spray with me.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

The gun ban only affected those D.C. residents to have guns in a functioning manner *in their home*...Heller did not extend beyond that, as carry in public (open or concealed) was not part of the argument.

D.C. has not gotten better...for gun owners. As long as you stick with daylight hours and tourist areas, you're fine. Venture out after dark, and you are taking chances.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I've ventured out in dc after dark hundreds of times. Never had a problem. However, it's a mediocre city for a lot of reasons, not the least of which are the gun laws.
    MadMac, Chad Rogers and bds9009 like this.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. It really helps with our planning. I must also note that this is probably a first for this Forum. Everyone actually agrees with each other. Thanks again.
    SGT likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links